Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Is makeup a form of catfishing?

265 replies

qwertykeyboards · 27/03/2021 13:11

Okay hear me out. Before I start this thread I just want to say I’m NOT bashing women who wear makeup - I myself love makeup and wear it regularly. I’m just really interested in other peoples opinions.

Lately I’ve just been thinking about whether a full face of makeup could amount to cat fishing of some sort. I myself look completely different when I have a full face of makeup on. In fact when I wear makeup I am constantly catcalled and stared at by men. Whereas when I go out with absolutely nothing on that doesn’t happen as much. Sometimes I even think, “if only you saw me when I woke up this morning!” 😂

I was speaking about this with a couple of my friends who admitted that their boyfriends have yet to see them without makeup! That’s crazy to me! What if the person you’re with ends up totally not into your fresh face and the makeup kind of tricked them into thinking you look like something that in reality took a bunch of makeup and an hour at the mirror to achieve.
Just a thought.

YABU - don’t be so stupid!
YANBU - to an extent makeup can put out a false image

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

purplemunkey · 27/03/2021 13:16

IME catcalling has nothing to do with how much makeup you’re wearing. It’s a pure power play to make women feel uncomfortable.

But putting that to one side - no, I don’t think makeup is cat-fishing. You’re not pretending to be someone else. Sure, a full face with fake lashes, contouring etc might make you look quite different but no one is going to think you look like that naturally.

Please
or

BriarsHollow · 27/03/2021 13:20

This just sounds like you’re trying to lay yet more responsibility and blame at the door of women.

Please
or

qwertykeyboards · 27/03/2021 13:20

@purplemunkey definitely agree with your first point!

OP posts:
Please
or

qwertykeyboards · 27/03/2021 13:21

@BriarsHollow

This just sounds like you’re trying to lay yet more responsibility and blame at the door of women.

Of course I’m not! I am very much an advocate for women’s rights and the empowerment of women. As I said I do myself enjoy using makeup but at times do wonder if I MYSELF am portraying a false image as I know damn well without it I do not look as good.
OP posts:
Please
or

Happycat1212 · 27/03/2021 13:23

No but It’s hilarious that you think it is! And I agree it’s like you’re saying well if women wore less make up they wouldn’t get so much harassment which isn’t even true

Please
or

XenoBitch · 27/03/2021 13:23

Er no, catfishing is creating a whole fake persona and pretending to be someone else. If makeup came under that, then wearing a padded bra would too.

Please
or

LaBellina · 27/03/2021 13:24

I think many women don’t even like wearing makeup but society makes them believe they’re ugly and unkempt without it. I know that I feel embarrassed to go out without makeup, funnily I never felt that as a child so it’s something that comes natural to me.
So I think it’s quite unfair to call wearing a lot of makeup a form of catphishing.

Please
or

qwertykeyboards · 27/03/2021 13:24

Everyone is missing the point Hmm

OP posts:
Please
or

qwertykeyboards · 27/03/2021 13:24

@LaBellina

I think many women don’t even like wearing makeup but society makes them believe they’re ugly and unkempt without it. I know that I feel embarrassed to go out without makeup, funnily I never felt that as a child so it’s something that comes natural to me.
So I think it’s quite unfair to call wearing a lot of makeup a form of catphishing.

I agree
OP posts:
Please
or

UrsulaBee · 27/03/2021 13:25

@XenoBitch

Er no, catfishing is creating a whole fake persona and pretending to be someone else. If makeup came under that, then wearing a padded bra would too.

This. When a full face of makeup doesn’t mean you are pretending to be someone else
Please
or

LaBellina · 27/03/2021 13:25

*NOtT something that comes naturally to me

Please
or

qwertykeyboards · 27/03/2021 13:25

By the way guys, I never said I agree with the statement that makeup is catfishingBlush I would be insulting myself if I did! Just a conversation with friends has made me curious as to what everyone else thinks.

OP posts:
Please
or

CausingChaos2 · 27/03/2021 13:26

Hmm. That’s a difficult one. Most of the time I don’t wear make up but have noticed myself feeling the need to put mascara on before zoom meetings. So I must feel it makes me look ‘better’.

The transformation that heavy make up can do is both very clever and startling. I had an ex who likes the heavy make up look, and saw my preference for a natural look as a compromise.

Please
or

Emeraldshamrock · 27/03/2021 13:27

No not at all. If he is expecting you to wake like that every morning it is his own stupidity.

Please
or

ShrinkingViolet9 · 27/03/2021 13:27

Sorry, you lost me after the second " I myself..."

Please
or

qwertykeyboards · 27/03/2021 13:27

@CausingChaos2

Hmm. That’s a difficult one. Most of the time I don’t wear make up but have noticed myself feeling the need to put mascara on before zoom meetings. So I must feel it makes me look ‘better’.

The transformation that heavy make up can do is both very clever and startling. I had an ex who likes the heavy make up look, and saw my preference for a natural look as a compromise.

Thankyou for acknowledging the point I was trying to make but clearly missed😭 I guess I am referencing to HEAVY full coverage makeup as opposed to a bit of concealer or mascara.
OP posts:
Please
or

sonjadog · 27/03/2021 13:28

I disagree because I think that make up doesn’t change a person’s appearance that much. It can enhance certain features but it doesn’t change who a person actually is. So no, not comparable to cat-fishing.

Please
or

Daydreamsinglorioustechnicolor · 27/03/2021 13:28

I mean, people can look dramatically different without make up.
But its usually obvious they are wearing it, not like using a fake photo or persona to literally trick someone into believing you're someone you're not.
I once saw a woman I know, who always has a full face of heavy make up, without any make up on and I did not recognise it was her at first until she spoke.

Please
or

qwertykeyboards · 27/03/2021 13:28

@ShrinkingViolet9

Sorry, you lost me after the second " I myself..."

Grin
OP posts:
Please
or

MasterBeth · 27/03/2021 13:28

@qwertykeyboards

Everyone is missing the point Hmm

I think you are.

Catfishing doesn’t mean making yourself look more (conventionally) attractive. It means pretending to be someone you’re not.
Please
or

aSofaNearYou · 27/03/2021 13:29

No I don't think it is cat fishing but I do think it's a bit sad that lots of women feel they need to be so dedicated to it they can't even relax in their own home around their boyfriend. But then I absolutely hate the feeling of wearing loads of makeup (I only wear pretty basic stuff) and couldn't stand having to keep it on all night.

Please
or

greycloudysky · 27/03/2021 13:29

Is a man in a suit catfishing? He's surely different to when he woke up and hadn't showered, brushed his hair, shaved or got dressed. Oh, no!!

Please
or

emilyfrost · 27/03/2021 13:30

YANBU. Make up is very fake and I feel sorry for those who wear it; they’re not comfortable in their own skin and don’t like their natural look. It’s very sad.

Please
or

Lbnc2021 · 27/03/2021 13:30

Well my phone face recognition might agree. I only wear make up a couple of times a week and set it up first time when I had make up on. Had to reset it when it didn’t recognise me without make up 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

Please
or

qwertykeyboards · 27/03/2021 13:31

@MasterBeth I’m not an idiot I know what a catfish is. I said a “form”...

I’m obviously not referring to someone sitting down at a computer using a fake profile and pretending to be someone else. I’m referring to ones appearance. Probably shouldn’t have used the word “catfish” Hmm

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?