Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ring doorbell hell!

Biddums · 16/12/2020 16:25

Hi all,

My neighbors door is right next to mine with only a brick between them. They have just got a ring doorbell (2 days ago) and I hate it!

Not only is the noise bloody annoying but it's covering my door. There is no way they can set it up to not cover both doors, they are just too close.

I don't like the fact whoever comes to my door is now on their bell cam. I also feel uneasy about the fact my kids will be on there, because you know kids leave the house, my house!

I'm pissed off that anything I buy, like a new TV, they will see and be able to have a good nose. Because they can rewatch and bloody pause.

So I need Mumsneters help. How do I go about this? Do I talk to them? How do I word it? How do I tell them that the bell they paid for has got to go? Do I offer to pay for it?

What if they say no? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

Or do I just get a family member with face covered in the night to nick it and smash it? Yes ring do replace nicked bells but not unlimited. I could get it nicked time and again.

AIBU here? Should I just accept that this is the way now? People videoing your door and kids? Idk I just feel they were wrong to get it without asking if I minded.

Funny enough a family member asked me if I wanted one about a year ago and I said no because it would invade my neighbors door.

OP's posts:
Please
or

PerkyBlinder · 04/12/2021 00:12

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but just saw your post and remembered hearing about this case not long ago.

“A judge ruled that a doctor's neighbour's Ring smart doorbell cameras breached her privacy in landmark case.

Dr Mary Fairhurst claimed cameras on Jon Woodard's doorbell broke data laws.

She told court that Amazon-owned Ring cameras placed her under 'continuous visual surveillance'.

Judge Melissa Clarke found Mr Woodard breached provisions of the Data Protection Act 2018.

The landmark ruling could pave the way for thousands of lawsuits over use of the Ring doorbell device

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10085561/amp/A-victory-privacy-Woman-100k-damages-neighbours-doorbell-cameras.html

Please
or

Almostmenopausal · 04/12/2021 00:15

I have a Ring doorbell with my neighbours door directly next to mine too OP. I can black out any recording of them or their property. It's so so easy! It's on the app!

Please
or

Almostmenopausal · 04/12/2021 00:23

As you can see, despite my neighbour's door being a brick away from mine like OP's, I can STILL add privacy zones to block it from recording OP, her children or her visitors or deliveries! Took me less than 30 seconds!

Ring doorbell hell! Ring doorbell hell!
Please
or

Almostmenopausal · 04/12/2021 00:28

Oh and yes, I could absolutely block out my neighbour's house opposite but they've said they're pleased we have it! They feel safer!

@Biddums It's worth bearing in mind two other things; Unless your neighbour pays £2.50 per month, then it won't record anything! Just shows you what/who's there in real time! Also, if they do pay the fee to be able to store the footage, if there was any criminal activity within its range, you'd be so SO thankful of it!

It's the best thing I've EVER ever bought. I love it. Being able to speak to whoever is at my door and ask couriers to leave my parcel in a safe place, whilst I'm browsing TK Maxx or laid in the bath, is just awesome! 🛀🏻

Please
or

Lachimolala · 04/12/2021 00:53

I can’t believe you’re threatening to get someone to vandalise and steal their property simply because you don’t like it?

That’s insane. You’re insane.

Please
or

GatoradeMeBitch · 04/12/2021 01:04

You are paranoid - going on about them watching you, snooping on you, saving recordings just to watch you, worrying they know people who rob houses

The worrying about people who rob houses is probably projection, seeing as how she knows people who will happily steal/destroy other people's property on request...

Please
or

Sunshinelover2 · 04/12/2021 01:28

YANBU - the fact that people see no issue with themselves or their kids constantly being on camera is creepily indicative of the society in which we live.

We are the most filmed population in Europe. I would hate it too. There should be a law against it.

The whole thing is Orwellian but people are too uneducated to realise.

Please
or

SweetsAndChocolates · 04/12/2021 01:35

Now I'm curious, wonder if that was OP Grin
Please
or

Glitterblue · 04/12/2021 01:45

We have a ring doorbell but very rarely look at the footage. I look at it early in the morning to see if DH has left for work and not slept in, if he's in the spare room due to his snoring! If I don't see him going out, I go and wake him.

I once had a look to see what time the milkman delivers - I was just curious!

And I might look for things like if I've had painkillers as soon as I came in but forgot to look at the time to know for the next dose.

Other than that, we don't look at the footage. I doubt the neighbours will be all that interested, unless they're like my parents' neighbours who openly stand in the window watching what's going on and will occasionally phone my parents "to ask if everything is ok" if they've seen something out of the ordinary like a van there because they're having work done om the roof, or my brothers have come up for a special occasion. What she really wants to know is "what work are you having done?" and "why were K, J and I up for the weekend?"

Please
or

KTB19 · 04/12/2021 01:49

I am quite happy with mine although the other week someone pressed the bell and I was at work. I checked the camera and saw a guy with a clipboard outside. I answered and he said "hey, when are you back at home, I would like to talk to you about a product I am selling?"

Trying to be clever, I told him that I was at home, working in my office at the back of the house and couldn't come to the door at the moment.

"Oh, really?" He replied, looking confused and glancing around for a bit.

"Yes really!" I snapped.

I was feeling quite smug and the realised that the reason he was looking confused was because he could hear the exceptionally loud sounds of the forklift at work in the background. I could even hear it myself when I played back the footage.

I should have yelled "get that forklift out of my kitchen!"

People are not fooled by a Ring doorbell when they press it. They assume you are not home.

However, I like ours and sometimes when I WFH, I am in the back of the house in my office and it is good that I don't have to go to the door to answer it.

I have my settings so it only records if someone comes right up to my door. We have the volume right down so we don't disturb anyone as well.

Please
or

JumparooSavedMyLife · 04/12/2021 02:52

All our neighbours have them, next door also have cctv front back and sides too. I don't mind the camera/doorbells out front as you can see who is coming and going with your eyes if you were on the street. I have issues with the back garden cam though as it must capture some of our garden, which they otherwise can't see unless they go upstairs and purposely look out, we have a high fence so we don't normally see into each others gardens. In summer we were in the garden with our children in the padding pool and I was sat there breastfeeding without any attempt to cover up. I totally forgot about their cctv, so they potentially have video of me whipping my boob out and my kids semi naked in the pool. This makes me feel uncomfortable as it's more a private space, we haven't mentioned anything to them but if I think about it I don't like it.

I wouldn't have any issues with a ring bell out front though, its added security for you if anything.

Please
or

cookiemonster2468 · 04/12/2021 03:19

If it's actually attached in a way that it is covering your door then it never should have been put there in the first place.

They can't just attach something over your door without your permission. Just tell them it's on your property and they have to remove it.

Please
or

SplodgeWaddler · 04/12/2021 03:35

OP My neighbour has one, our front doors are right next to each other, the doorbell is in the other side of her door. She can’t see our driveway, it’s set up somehow so it only films her property. It might be worth asking your neighbour if they can actually see you on the camera.

Please
or

SarahBellam · 04/12/2021 05:18

I’d go in and out, in and out, go and dance around your garden, keep putting your hand/arm/cat in front of it - it will drive them nuts getting notifications every two minutes.

Please
or

gavisconismyfriend · 04/12/2021 05:18

ZOMBIE THREAD. OP last posted a year ago, she probably doesn’t need advice any more…..

Please
or

ClaudiaJ1 · 04/12/2021 05:29

ZOMBIE THREAD

Please
or

Tilltheend99 · 04/12/2021 06:22

I read something in the news about a similar case a while ago. They have no rights to film your doorway with their camera and it is part of the terms of service of the bell/app that they have to use it in line with the law

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/14/amazon-asks-ring-owners-to-respect-privacy-after-court-rules-usage-broke-law

Don’t run around smashing them up though as you can’t fight bonkers with bonkers. Your neighbours will just assume there is a crime wave and that it justifies the cctv even further.

But UANBU to not want to be filmed going in and out of your own house.

Please
or

Tilltheend99 · 04/12/2021 06:26

Yeah… just realised this is a zombie. But @SplodgeWaddler if it is an Amazon Ring it can record audio up to 40ft according to that article so you may well still be getting your privacy invaded.

Please
or

Blinkingbatshit · 04/12/2021 06:26

There was a news story recently - a bloke that had put a ring doorbell up and refused to move it after neighbour complained it was filming them had to pay £250k (!!) in compensation……look it up and post a copy through their door with a letter asking them for confirmation they are not filming you or your premises!!!

Please
or

Blinkingbatshit · 04/12/2021 06:27

Sorry - didn’t see it was a zombie🙄

Please
or

110APiccadilly · 04/12/2021 06:57

I've only skimmed this but it looks to me like you have a legal right to ask them to set it up so that it doesn't capture you/ your family/ your visitors.
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/14/amazon-asks-ring-owners-to-respect-privacy-after-court-rules-usage-broke-law

Please
or

110APiccadilly · 04/12/2021 06:58

Whoops, also didn't see it was a zombie.

Please
or

UsernameInTheTown · 04/12/2021 07:24

It's illegal to film someone else's property and/or the street/public places. I know this because my next door neighbours put up CCTV covering part of my drive so I contacted the Police, who told them off and made them adjust it to cover only their driveway. They weren't allowed to point it at the pavement either.
The Police took it seriously and did an excellent job.

Please
or
Please
or

Yogagrandmum · 04/12/2021 07:48

Go in an out frequently. The constant ringing drove my mother nuts ( she lives on a main road )so we disabled the motion part and it only goes off when it’s pressed.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.