Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ring doorbell hell!

Biddums · 16/12/2020 16:25

Hi all,

My neighbors door is right next to mine with only a brick between them. They have just got a ring doorbell (2 days ago) and I hate it!

Not only is the noise bloody annoying but it's covering my door. There is no way they can set it up to not cover both doors, they are just too close.

I don't like the fact whoever comes to my door is now on their bell cam. I also feel uneasy about the fact my kids will be on there, because you know kids leave the house, my house!

I'm pissed off that anything I buy, like a new TV, they will see and be able to have a good nose. Because they can rewatch and bloody pause.

So I need Mumsneters help. How do I go about this? Do I talk to them? How do I word it? How do I tell them that the bell they paid for has got to go? Do I offer to pay for it?

What if they say no? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

Or do I just get a family member with face covered in the night to nick it and smash it? Yes ring do replace nicked bells but not unlimited. I could get it nicked time and again.

AIBU here? Should I just accept that this is the way now? People videoing your door and kids? Idk I just feel they were wrong to get it without asking if I minded.

Funny enough a family member asked me if I wanted one about a year ago and I said no because it would invade my neighbors door.

OP's posts:
Please
or

mollypuss1 · 16/12/2020 16:57

Bloody hell, you sound a bit paranoid. I very much doubt your neighbours got it so they could spy on your comings and going’s. I suspect they couldn’t give a shit. Why on earth do you think they would be downloading videos of you entering/leaving your house?

Please
or

heydoggie · 16/12/2020 16:58

Also, for people saying they won't watch hours of footage: it gives you a 'history' thing that strings together twenty second snippets of movement. You can adjust sensitivity and when we first got ours it was accidentally at the highest sensitivity which meant it captured everything on our road: neighbours getting paper delivered, everyone who walked in and out. We had a two minute summary of literally everything that happened on our street for the day. (We obviously then adjusted sensitivity so it now only captures people walking up our path)

I think the creep of CCTV in public spaces and the expectation of being recorded is really problematic. I'm on a neighbourhood group where people shared screenshots of some of the best kids costumes from halloween they got off their ring doorbells last year and I did think it was off: I know technically anyone could have photographed those children on the street but its unlikely you wouldn't notice that as a parent.

Please
or

GreySkyClouds · 16/12/2020 16:58

They could set it so it isn’t completely covering your door. Doubt they’ll care about your purchases...

Please
or

OhTheTastyNuts · 16/12/2020 16:59

We bought a house with a Ring doorbell. It's detached so no neighbour issues.

We have got ours set up so it only activates when someone actually rings the doorbell. It wouldn't send any notifications if someone just wandered up the path and then away again and no footage gets recorded.

If you know your neighbours well enough maybe ask how they are using it? You might be pleasantly suprised/reassured.

Please
or

Lmnopqrstuvwxyz · 16/12/2020 17:01

I would hate this so much. They go against everything I believe in!

When does it start recording/do they get alerted ? Is it when you walk past or ring the bell. If they get an alert when you walk close to it I would walk past it 100 times in a row just to piss them off!!

Please
or

huuuuunnnndderrricks · 16/12/2020 17:02

Can you put a fence panel in between houses ? Or build a wall or hedge ? We have one had one for years but our door is miles away from anyone else . All our neighbours have them now and I can hear when the nearest neighbours goes off so I imagine it is very annoying.

Please
or

FairyFairy · 16/12/2020 17:02

I hate them. Friends have them and play back all sorts of clips for a laugh. I think its really intrusive (I hate going to their front doors) and I would not be happy in your shoes.

It's not about being 'caught out' or doing something you shouldn't be- it's basic privacy.

Please
or

viques · 16/12/2020 17:03

@Biddums

Hi all,

My neighbors door is right next to mine with only a brick between them. They have just got a ring doorbell (2 days ago) and I hate it!

Not only is the noise bloody annoying but it's covering my door. There is no way they can set it up to not cover both doors, they are just too close.

I don't like the fact whoever comes to my door is now on their bell cam. I also feel uneasy about the fact my kids will be on there, because you know kids leave the house, my house!

I'm pissed off that anything I buy, like a new TV, they will see and be able to have a good nose. Because they can rewatch and bloody pause.

So I need Mumsneters help. How do I go about this? Do I talk to them? How do I word it? How do I tell them that the bell they paid for has got to go? Do I offer to pay for it?

What if they say no? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

Or do I just get a family member with face covered in the night to nick it and smash it? Yes ring do replace nicked bells but not unlimited. I could get it nicked time and again.

AIBU here? Should I just accept that this is the way now? People videoing your door and kids? Idk I just feel they were wrong to get it without asking if I minded.

Funny enough a family member asked me if I wanted one about a year ago and I said no because it would invade my neighbors door.

Do they not see who comes to your house, the deliveries that are made and your kids going in and out of your door just by being really low tech and looking out of a window?

Unless you are in witness protection OP I think you are being very precious.
Please
or

Biddums · 16/12/2020 17:05

Ok, I can see a few here more then likely have them so ain't bothered by them but it's not a CCTV camera that's just looking at the end of my drive.

It's right on their door, which is right next to mine. I'm not so full of myself that I think they got it to spy on my fgs. But it does cover my door and yes I feel it invades my privacy.

I don't have anything dodgy going on, I just don't like it. It's a camera in my face when I step out my own door. I just think when your door is next to another, you should ask before putting a camera on it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lovemusic33 · 16/12/2020 17:07

I thought the camera was only activated when someone rings the bell?

Honestly it wouldn’t really bother me, I’m sure the neighbour isn’t planning on robbing me and I’m pretty sure they have no interest in spying on my dc 🤔. I don’t think there’s anything you can do, there are cameras in many places which watch you and your children, in shops, down streets etc..

Please
or

Elderflower14 · 16/12/2020 17:07

My ds is profoundly deaf and autistic. He moved into a flat on his own last year... My sister bought him the Ring security system and its really made him feel safe and secure...

Please
or

onlythepianoplayer · 16/12/2020 17:09

Is that legal in yhe UK? Wouldn't be in Ireland. Privacy laws mean any camera on your property can only cover your own property and no one elses.

Please
or

User653826 · 16/12/2020 17:09

@Elderflower14

My ds is profoundly deaf and autistic. He moved into a flat on his own last year... My sister bought him the Ring security system and its really made him feel safe and secure...

So what? That's not the same situation as the OPs.
Please
or

bestbefore · 16/12/2020 17:09

Can you attach a screen like this between your door?
foursixty.com/screen-with-envy/199716965/

Please
or

picklemewalnuts · 16/12/2020 17:09

Go in and out constantly. Literally constantly. Let them get fed up of the alerts so they take steps to stop it recording you.

Please
or

SpudulikaSlob · 16/12/2020 17:09

Wow, some people are very laissez faire with the OPs privacy.
I actually think it is a huge problem and would be asking them to block out tour path/door and turn the sound down. Owners of CCTV have a responsibility to ensure that they're not covering other people's property anyway, but these doorbells mean that everyone has it now. There is a very good reason why organisations with CCTV are required to have their staff licensed to use it.

Please
or

onlythepianoplayer · 16/12/2020 17:10

and I totally agree with you OP and don't understand the answers you;re getting.

Please
or

Thickhead · 16/12/2020 17:11

I hate them too. Definitely have a word with your neighbours about it.

Please
or

Biddums · 16/12/2020 17:11

@viques, I'm sure they do see it, not everything though. But this is a video camera!! My kids are going to be on it. How would you like a neighbor you don't really know taking pictures of you and you family, right on your door?

Yes, I'm sure they don't give a shit about what I bring home but it will still be on their camera. What if they know people who rob houses? They will know when we have all gone out by simply looking at the videos.

The videos save when something moves. Yes they can turn that off but they won't and can turn it back on at will anyway.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RaRaLaLaLaaa · 16/12/2020 17:11

I Wallis absolutely hate this too. You don't have to be 'up to something' to not want to be filmed.

Gigantosaurus has an actual solution though so I'd certainly be investigating that.

Please
or

Finfintytint · 16/12/2020 17:12

I would hate this and I have one! I’ve blocked an area out on the camera though which would otherwise cover the end of a neighbour’s driveway. Maybe speak to them and ask them what the coverage area is.

Please
or

dinosaurcookie · 16/12/2020 17:12

The ICO website pages relating to CCTV on residential properties might give you some more information. It sounds as though if images are captured, the responsibilities for data handling would be similar.

Please
or

Dontstepinthecowpat · 16/12/2020 17:12

How often can their door bell possibly ring in a day? Are they drug dealers? Are you?

This makes me want neighbours I don’t know what anyone gets up to and no one comes to the door.

Please
or

PinkSpring · 16/12/2020 17:13

We have one and our neighbours door is maybe a metre away - we just changed the sensitivity and motion capture areas so it doesn't cover their front door.

Sometimes we will just turn off the motion sensor altogether so it only records when someone actually rings the bell.

I don't think you can actually stop them having the doorbell - if you are that bothered you could just ask them to do one of the above

Please
or

Iamclearlyamug · 16/12/2020 17:13

If there’s a brick between your doors can they not attach it from there and angle it their way so that it doesn’t view you at all?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.