Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ring doorbell hell!

Biddums · 16/12/2020 16:25

Hi all,

My neighbors door is right next to mine with only a brick between them. They have just got a ring doorbell (2 days ago) and I hate it!

Not only is the noise bloody annoying but it's covering my door. There is no way they can set it up to not cover both doors, they are just too close.

I don't like the fact whoever comes to my door is now on their bell cam. I also feel uneasy about the fact my kids will be on there, because you know kids leave the house, my house!

I'm pissed off that anything I buy, like a new TV, they will see and be able to have a good nose. Because they can rewatch and bloody pause.

So I need Mumsneters help. How do I go about this? Do I talk to them? How do I word it? How do I tell them that the bell they paid for has got to go? Do I offer to pay for it?

What if they say no? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

Or do I just get a family member with face covered in the night to nick it and smash it? Yes ring do replace nicked bells but not unlimited. I could get it nicked time and again.

AIBU here? Should I just accept that this is the way now? People videoing your door and kids? Idk I just feel they were wrong to get it without asking if I minded.

Funny enough a family member asked me if I wanted one about a year ago and I said no because it would invade my neighbors door.

OP's posts:
Please
or

prh47bridge · 17/12/2020 22:23

It’s not a security camera, it’s a ring doorbell. It doesn’t count as CCTV.

Wrong. To quote the ICO, "The phrase ‘domestic CCTV system’ refers to the use of any video surveillance equipment mounted or fixed on your home. It can include cameras fitted to doorbells."

If a doorbell is recording images it definitely falls under the same regulations as a CCTV system.

Please
or

Tistheseason17 · 17/12/2020 22:25

Put in a SAR every couple of months to see what they've recorded! 🤣🤣🤣 they'll love you for it!

Please
or

Idontbelieveit12 · 17/12/2020 22:28

My next door neighbour has cctv that covers some of our front and back gardens, our drive etc. I felt a bit weird at first but I actually feel a bit more secure knowing they’ve got it. We get on with them really well.

Please
or

GlummyMcGlummerson · 17/12/2020 22:29

How do I tell them that the bell they paid for has got to go?

You don't. You have no right and you'll look like a lunatic if you do.

Or do I just get a family member with face covered in the night to nick it and smash it?

Are you Vicky Pollard?

Definitely don't hire someone to inflict criminal damage on a camera FFS

I'm also massively confused about the layout of your front door. How can there only be "a brick between" your doors but the camera also faces your door?!

Please
or

ruby4ever · 17/12/2020 22:30

Wow your something else. Very U!!
In what world do you think it's acceptable for you to nick something over and over again just because YOU don't like it! Thank god It's not so simple to just remove!
And even if there wasn't just a brick between you, their ring doorbell will still be able to view your door way.
I have a ring, we have a large drive way at front, and I the view catches the drive of both my neighbours of each side. We ring owners don't sit there staring and spying on you people or your kids! As if we have nothing better to do. Get over yourself. Just so you know, it only keeps motion detected recording if they have subscribed, otherwise the motion can only be viewed Live. So you can keep your hair on, they aren't pausing to watch you or your children or your relatives 🙄

Please
or

GlummyMcGlummerson · 17/12/2020 22:34

OP do you smoke weed by any chance? You sound really really paranoid. The people I know who smoke weed are practically obsessed that other people want to film/look at/steal their children.

I also think it's so ironic that you think you live next to highly unreasonable neighbours when you are planning to commit criminal damage to their property. FWIW, the cameras film a really wide area there's no way anyone would get away with it. Also I hope you like the idea of scaring the shit out of your neighbours as they watch somebody smashing at their door. But hey as long as no one films your kids that's what important Hmm

Please
or

mollypuss1 · 17/12/2020 22:35

@prh47bridge

It’s not a security camera, it’s a ring doorbell. It doesn’t count as CCTV.

Wrong. To quote the ICO, "The phrase ‘domestic CCTV system’ refers to the use of any video surveillance equipment mounted or fixed on your home. It can include cameras fitted to doorbells."

If a doorbell is recording images it definitely falls under the same regulations as a CCTV system.

Wrong. The fact a doorbell can record images does not mean it definitely breaks regulations. A doorbell only falls under the same regulations as a CCTV system if it records beyond the boundary of your private domestic property which includes your garden. A Ring doorbell can be set to record your own property only and as such would break no regulations in this case.
Please
or

GlummyMcGlummerson · 17/12/2020 22:35

Also re the the noise, they're no noisier than a doorbell and they only go off when pressed - just like a doorbell - so unless you get upset at doorbell chimes you don't really have a complaint there.

Please
or

ruby4ever · 17/12/2020 22:36

If you owned a ring you would know, there is no way you would want to be notified when your neighbours are going or coming. That would be extremely annoying. The setting must be to just used as a doorbell, or they've angled the motion on the setting to not pick up anything on your pathway

Please
or

GlummyMcGlummerson · 17/12/2020 22:37

@mollypuss1 ring doorbells do record behind the boundary of the property. It doesn't magically know where your drive stops

Please
or

mollypuss1 · 17/12/2020 22:38

[quote GlummyMcGlummerson]@mollypuss1 ring doorbells do record behind the boundary of the property. It doesn't magically know where your drive stops [/quote]
No, but you can set it to only record certain areas and I know where my drive stops, no magic needed.

Please
or

GlummyMcGlummerson · 17/12/2020 22:39

@mollypuss1 so does it black out the view beyond your drive? I'm pretty sure it can't do this.

Please
or

CausingChaos2 · 17/12/2020 22:40

@NowWhatUsernameShallIHave

Not sure if it’s been said but any security camera that overlooks/captures your neighbours as well is illegal

Which law? Not disputing what you say, but would genuinely like to know which law it is. The local police here aren’t interested in any recording that is in public areas. Back gardens etc are treated differently and seen as private.
Please
or

Tinselandbaubauls · 17/12/2020 22:40

YABU. I have a ring camera, not doorbell. It picks up everyone walking past the house and I can see the doors of all the houses opposite. Funnily enough I don’t spend my whole life watching it though to see what the neighbours are having Delivered.

Please
or

GlummyMcGlummerson · 17/12/2020 22:42

It's not illegal to record houses you can see from a street. Pointing CCTV into a private garden? Yes, illegal? Filming the front of a house that everyone can see? Legal - would be impossible to manage that kind of law

Please
or

Tinselandbaubauls · 17/12/2020 22:43

@NowWhatUsernameShallIHave - can you tell me what law that is. We had the police round last year to look at our cctv after a car incident Outside my neighbours house. They never once mentioned anything about it being illegal.

Please
or

GlummyMcGlummerson · 17/12/2020 22:44

I'm still confused as to how two doors next to each other facing the same way means a ring doorbell is pointing "directly at OP's property"

Please
or

mollypuss1 · 17/12/2020 22:45

[quote GlummyMcGlummerson]@mollypuss1 so does it black out the view beyond your drive? I'm pretty sure it can't do this. [/quote]
You can set it to only record certain zones. @80sColourfulChristmas went into great detail earlier in the thread on how to do this.

Please
or

Tinselandbaubauls · 17/12/2020 22:46

@NowWhatUsernameShallIHave

“ As long as the recorded videos don't infringe on your privacy and are for lawful purpose only (like monitoring suspects or prevent package thefts at the front door), it is legal for your neighbor to point a security camera at your property in plain view.‘

Please
or

EddyF · 17/12/2020 22:50

@Biddums

I'm glad I'm not alone in hating it.

I know they are really popular but surely people should think before they get them. I know it sounds over the top but to me it's the same as if they were standing there in my face with a phone videoing me.

*@Shrill* they know it covers my door but clearly don't give a shit. I have a sign on my door saying please do not leave deliveries with neighbors.

I really do hate it. When I'm in the front room I can hear whenever some one presses it. That stupid sound it makes. Gah!

*@Glittertwins* we share a path and the doors are so close. Really if they put a screen on the side of it, it would make it still see who were coming to my house. It's a massive invade. I don't care if ring save them for 30 days, they can download them can't they?

Idk how to go about this? I'm not going to live with this though, I know that much.

My cousin had to take hers down because her neighbour complained to the council. I can’t remember the exact reason/law it fell into, but she definitely had to remove it. My cousin and neighbour doors weren’t even close but neighbour argued that there was a section she/her family had to walk by which broke her data protection (or something like that). If it helps, my cousin is going through ‘right to buy’ so not yet technically her home.

I would hate it too OP. It’s really intrusive.
Please
or

GlummyMcGlummerson · 17/12/2020 22:53

@mollypuss1 I know you can set it to record certain zones, but my drive goes straight into the path, no fence, wall or hedges. I've looked and there's no way to "block off" the images beyond my drive.

I can set it so it only records activity on my drive but I can't stop it from filming what's in front of it

Please
or

GlummyMcGlummerson · 17/12/2020 22:56

*I should have said you can set it to pick activity in certain zones, not record in certain zones

Please
or

ruby4ever · 17/12/2020 23:10

@dontgobaconmyheart you've hit the nail!! Op is not right in the head. Talks about her rights, and with the same breath breaking the law

Please
or

GlummyMcGlummerson · 17/12/2020 23:14

The reason I got my ring doorbell a year ago was because the person who lived here before me sort of shares my surname (they have a double barrelled name one of the names matches my surname which is REALLY common, think Smith and their surname is Johnson-Smith). They got into a lot of debt including council tax debt, and I had 2 high court enforcement officers round at the house and despite me showing bills, mortgage confirmation etc, they won't have that old occupant has moved. It's not as simple as them going away either - it should be but these people are fucking bullies and one barged his way into my house (once they do that you're fucked). They're not supposed to but he did. He spent an hour in the house (I'm a single mum and was terrified) telling me if I didn't pay up he'd be doing a controlled goods act on my stuff. Another clamped my car when I was out for a walk and refused to return despite me saying the person doesn't live here. A teacher had to bring my DD back from school as I was stranded.

I did complain but fuck all happened, I did some research and if you don't let them in the house they can't do anything. So I got the ring doorbell and now when one turns up (one did the other day actually, nice footage for the council when I complained) I talk through the system tell them to go away that old occupant isn't here and I post through the letter box a copy of my car finance agreement (stating what I'm doing) so I can capture that I've shown them they can't clamp my car (they would otherwise as they are dodgy bastards). The doorbell doesn't stop them coming round but it does mean they behave like they should when they turn up and that I am protected.

Funnily enough my neighbours' kids and their spending purchases didn't cross my mind. Don't judge people by your own standards.

Please
or

Annoymou5e · 17/12/2020 23:41

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.