Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ring doorbell hell!

Biddums · 16/12/2020 16:25

Hi all,

My neighbors door is right next to mine with only a brick between them. They have just got a ring doorbell (2 days ago) and I hate it!

Not only is the noise bloody annoying but it's covering my door. There is no way they can set it up to not cover both doors, they are just too close.

I don't like the fact whoever comes to my door is now on their bell cam. I also feel uneasy about the fact my kids will be on there, because you know kids leave the house, my house!

I'm pissed off that anything I buy, like a new TV, they will see and be able to have a good nose. Because they can rewatch and bloody pause.

So I need Mumsneters help. How do I go about this? Do I talk to them? How do I word it? How do I tell them that the bell they paid for has got to go? Do I offer to pay for it?

What if they say no? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

Or do I just get a family member with face covered in the night to nick it and smash it? Yes ring do replace nicked bells but not unlimited. I could get it nicked time and again.

AIBU here? Should I just accept that this is the way now? People videoing your door and kids? Idk I just feel they were wrong to get it without asking if I minded.

Funny enough a family member asked me if I wanted one about a year ago and I said no because it would invade my neighbors door.

OP's posts:
Please
or

DailyPotion · 17/12/2020 18:26

I don't understand why these are allowed so easily.

On commercial premises there are all sorts of rules about the use of surveillance cameras but, so far as I can work out, they don't apply in domestic settings.

Please
or

Gabbianni · 17/12/2020 18:27

You could try this - The problem, as you rightly pointed out, lies in the fact that you perceive that one of your neighbours’ CCTV cameras is pointing directly at your property and this is a Privacy Issue. As far as the law goes in this regard, it would be covered by the Human Rights Act under your rights to privacy. Article 8 of the Act entitled “The Right to Respect for Private and Family Life, Home and Correspondence” means that your neighbour might well be breaking the law here.

Please
or

Richdebtomdom · 17/12/2020 18:32

Well... if you don’t like your kids bring on cctv you’d better keep them in 24/7 as it’s literally everywhere.
I just don’t get your issue... they’re not videoing you in your bath... it’s the front door!

Please
or

Tubs11 · 17/12/2020 18:36

As someone with one of these I can assure you that once the novelty wears off they're likely not to care or look at video footage of the coming and goings of your house

Please
or

Oscarsdaddy · 17/12/2020 18:36

I just wouldn’t trust a Ring Door Bell 🛎

As we all know they are an Amazon invention and I wouldn’t trust Amazon as far as I could throw them, sneaky bastards.

I have a friend who recently bought one, fitted it, lovely job

Last week he and his wife were out for the day, two Amazon deliveries made whilst they were out. Smashing, they got e mail alerts to confirm delivered and the times.

Got home. Only could find one of the deliveries so thought they’d check the Ring footage to see what happened to the second delivery.

When they tried looking at the footage the minute slots when the Amazon driver delivered it said ‘footage unavailable’ they scrolled through the rest of it, just over 5 hours on total. Saw the footage of them leaving when the video was triggered, saw the footage of then returning when the video triggered and saw the postman put letters through the letterbox when video triggered. The other two times it triggered, assuming my the Amazon delivery guys ‘footage unavailable’

You tell me that’s not suspicious. The drivers obviously have something in the software they carry that can disable the Ring Door Bell

They did find the second delivery in the end, stuck behind a plant pot in the garden, soaked right through

Please
or

FollowThatStarTonight · 17/12/2020 18:38

But CCTV when out and about is information being collected for a lawful purpose, ie prevention and detection of crime, and whoever is operating it will be will be subject to rules of GDPR about how it is stored, who views it, how it is used etc. It's also not on the OPs private property, it's in public.

They're really not the same thing at all.

Please
or

Lokifan72 · 17/12/2020 18:42

If theyve got written permission to have it up by landlord and it's been police checked and it's on their property not yours not a lot you can do. But by law it can only be recording their front door and their property.

Please
or

Nearly47 · 17/12/2020 18:49

YANBU Op
It's very invasive. They can have recordings of you and anyone that visit you and probably quite good close ups. And there were reports that the ring cameras can also be hacked. I hope you find a solution. Good luck

Please
or

Babyyodasmacarons · 17/12/2020 19:00

Why is this an issue? It will see nothing that anyone outside would be able to see.

Please
or

Babyyodasmacarons · 17/12/2020 19:01

Wouldn’t*

Please
or

Faffandahalf · 17/12/2020 19:03

The OP sounds like a character from the tv show Shameless bragging about how she would smash up the doorbell but says it wouldn’t be her and she would get someone else to do it so basically it would be some shady criminal characters.

Who even knows people like this? Unless they are rough as fuck themselves. Normal people don’t associate with criminals or criminal activity and the OP talks openly about not only committing a crime but getting in touch with criminals to do so.

Anyone who thinks this is in the realms of normality is just as unhinged as she is.

Seemed so easily resolved now once people starting mentioning the police though Hmm
They’re just sending it back. How nice and easy for you.

Please
or

dstill1964 · 17/12/2020 19:11

Both myself and my Neighbour have one . Our doors aren’t next to each other as yours is but have to say it’s been invaluable with delivery companies saying they’ve been when they haven’t and even picked up someone who decided to break our windows. Maybe ask if you can have a peek to see what area it covers and if it definitely encroaches your privacy ask if they can alter the settings

Please
or

langley281082 · 17/12/2020 19:19

I get your concern. We do have one and before it was fitted we asked our neighbours if they would be happy for us to install. Both agreed (the range first pick up movement at their doors ) but the comings and going’s if they stand too close etc . Both sides were actually really happy about it, I guess as a deterrent/security measure .

Please
or

Chloe797 · 17/12/2020 19:37

@ILoveYoga

Well, what about a piece of tape over the door bell and a little sign, please knock?

Wind chimes outside your door that will cause the doorbell to record so they’ll have nothing but hours upon hours upon hours upon hours of recording nothing?

You could open your door quietly, reach over and ring their bell (so you’re not in the frame), then quietly close your door. This way they’ll think it’s malfunctioning, get tired of the noise and get rid of it.

They'll still see the arm reaching over. I personally think they sound pathetic. They want to be grateful they have free security! If it bugs them that much then heighten the fence or board it across, simple. If their neighbours were "bad neighbours" then maybe i would worry about recording my every movement but if they're nice then I don't see no harm. I'm pretty sure they couldn't give a T**s what TV's they buy or who is coming in and out their house.
Please
or

lockeddownandcrazy · 17/12/2020 19:40

I thought people werent allowed to have cameras that covered neighbours properties?

Please
or

makadan600 · 17/12/2020 19:55

Not sure if it would come under this law ?

The problem, as you rightly pointed out, lies in the fact that you perceive that one of your neighbours’ CCTV cameras is pointing directly at your property and this is a Privacy Issue. As far as the law goes in this regard, it would be covered by the Human Rights Act under your rights to privacy. Article 8 of the Act entitled “The Right to Respect for Private and Family Life, Home and Correspondence” means that your neighbour might well be breaking the law here.

Please
or

mousemouse · 17/12/2020 20:00

We had one for a few days, it picked up our neighbours and we could hear their conversations clearly, I felt it wasn't right at all but partner said it didn't matter. But it does and is an invasion of their privacy.............. thankfully it developed a fault and was sent it back for a full refund, never to be replaced!!
I think by law these cameras are not allowed to view anything beyond the individuals property line and that includes the public highway, however, I am not an expert.

Please
or

winterchills · 17/12/2020 20:02

Definitely the keep pinching it option

Please
or

noneedtopanic · 17/12/2020 20:07

Skippityskoo is right
.also under GDPR you are classed as a data subject on the recordings I.e. you could ask for a copy/see what was recorded if you suspect you are on it. This would probably annoy them by asking to look through recordings! Technically if their recording and it covers any of your private property they have to make an effort to block that out so it does not invade your privacy.

Please
or

MAK93 · 17/12/2020 20:17

The OP has already resolved this issue 🤷🏻‍♀️ Plus you’re all making points that have been made numerous times..

Please
or

Celestine70 · 17/12/2020 20:55

I think legally they can't video your door.

Please
or

Celestine70 · 17/12/2020 21:01

I am glad it worked out.

Please
or

Namechangerextraordinaire1 · 17/12/2020 21:28

I thought the hell was going to be that stupid sodding chime going off repeatedly. I live in a cul de sac type road with 10 houses. 8 of them have ring doorbells. We all get a lot of amazon deliveries. I must hear that stupid chime about 100 times a week... we have one waiting to be installed so we can join in Grin

Please
or

NowWhatUsernameShallIHave · 17/12/2020 21:30

Not sure if it’s been said but any security camera that overlooks/captures your neighbours as well is illegal

Please
or

emilyfrost · 17/12/2020 21:52

@NowWhatUsernameShallIHave

Not sure if it’s been said but any security camera that overlooks/captures your neighbours as well is illegal

It’s not a security camera, it’s a ring doorbell. It doesn’t count as CCTV.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.