Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ring doorbell hell!

Biddums · 16/12/2020 16:25

Hi all,

My neighbors door is right next to mine with only a brick between them. They have just got a ring doorbell (2 days ago) and I hate it!

Not only is the noise bloody annoying but it's covering my door. There is no way they can set it up to not cover both doors, they are just too close.

I don't like the fact whoever comes to my door is now on their bell cam. I also feel uneasy about the fact my kids will be on there, because you know kids leave the house, my house!

I'm pissed off that anything I buy, like a new TV, they will see and be able to have a good nose. Because they can rewatch and bloody pause.

So I need Mumsneters help. How do I go about this? Do I talk to them? How do I word it? How do I tell them that the bell they paid for has got to go? Do I offer to pay for it?

What if they say no? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

Or do I just get a family member with face covered in the night to nick it and smash it? Yes ring do replace nicked bells but not unlimited. I could get it nicked time and again.

AIBU here? Should I just accept that this is the way now? People videoing your door and kids? Idk I just feel they were wrong to get it without asking if I minded.

Funny enough a family member asked me if I wanted one about a year ago and I said no because it would invade my neighbors door.

OP's posts:
Please
or

KittyMcV · 17/12/2020 23:49

You are most certainly NOT being unreasonable. This is a horrendous invasion of your privacy, and it is not fair. If they want a security cam they can get one set up that doesn't capture your property. I loathe those doorbells. The noise they make makes me jump out of my skin when I press them (my in-laws have one) and if there was one essentially next to my living room, I'd have to say something. I haven't read through the whole thread, so not sure what relationshipship you have with them, but I think I'd bring round a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine, and say something like "I love you guys as neighbours and I'd hate to do anything to annoy you, and I know you feel the same way. So I'm going to have to just come out with it - I am sorry but I can't live with your doorbell! It feels as if it's right inside my house, and is very loud. Is there some solution we can discuss?" You might find they are very receptive. The important thing is to stress the importance of good neighbourliness and the fact that you wouldn't be bringing it up if it wasn't so important, and that you'd like them to tell you if they felt similarly. It's so awkward, but you do have your rights. Good luck!

Please
or

Voice0fReason · 17/12/2020 23:57

I love my Ring doorbell. I've positioned it carefully so it doesn't point at the neighbour's properties.
I don't get movement notifications and I don't record anything. It's invaluable for us as it can take a long time for us to get to the front door due to disability.

If you have a problem with your neighbour's doorbell, talk to them about how they can position and screen it so your privacy is maintained.

Please
or

prh47bridge · 18/12/2020 00:09

The fact a doorbell can record images does not mean it definitely breaks regulations. A doorbell only falls under the same regulations as a CCTV system if it records beyond the boundary of your private domestic property which includes your garden

Wrong. It always falls under the same regulations. Just like a CCTV system, it is fine if it only records things within the boundary of your property. Just like a CCTV system there are restrictions if it records beyond your boundary.

You are correct that it does not break any regulations if it only records within the boundary of your property. I did not say anything contrary to that. But you are quite wrong to say that it only falls under the same regulations as a CCTV system if it records beyond the boundary. It always falls under the same regulations.

If you want to disagree with that I suggest you take it up with the ICO since they agree with me.

Please
or

DollyMixtureStocking · 18/12/2020 00:18

We have one and I love it. In fact it caught our neighbour posting us an ‘anonymous’ letter about a tiny bit of our recycling blowing into our garden so I love it! You’re on CCTV everywhere you go these days anyway. If you got broken into and it caught the reg number etc you wouldn’t be complaining about it.

Please
or

stella1know · 18/12/2020 00:20

I think it breaches your privacy and you would be right to adress this.

Please
or

StillCoughingandLaughing · 18/12/2020 00:25

I guess, I explained it a lot better in real life then on here. They did not laugh and tell me to fuck off.

Then you got damn lucky. I’d have told you where to shove it.

Please
or

Kokeshi123 · 18/12/2020 02:31

reallifemag.com/false-alarm/
Digital alarm systems increase homeowners’ sense of security by fomenting fear

t.co/1A8qDQiSqz?amp=1
“Huge Vulnerability Discovered in the Ring Doorbell”

www.theverge.com/2019/1/10/18177305/ring-employees-unencrypted-customer-video-amazon

gizmodo.com/amazon-is-marketing-face-recognition-to-police-departme-1839073749
Amazon Is Marketing Face Recognition to Police Departments Partnered With Ring: Report "Ring has repeatedly told reporters that neither its devices nor the law enforcement portal through which police request access to Ring footage use facial recognition. (“Ring does not use facial recognition technology,” a spokesperson told Gizmodo last month.) But Ring’s denials do not appear to rule out the possibility that police may, at some point, obtain doorbell footage and analyze the faces in it using a separate Amazon product."

www.theverge.com/2019/1/10/18177305/ring-employees-unencrypted-customer-video-amazon
Ring let employees watch customer videos, claim reports
‘Unfiltered, round-the-clock live feeds from some customer cameras’

twitter.com/hypervisible/status/1136691385376083973
"Ring is also using the image of a woman who is innocent until proven guilty and calling her a thief in ad that it's paying to get in front of a targeted audience in order to sell more home surveillance equipment."

www.cbc.ca/radio/spark/spark-443-1.5170440/smart-home-security-could-have-real-impacts-on-privacy-racial-profiling-1.5170451
Smart home security could have real impacts on privacy, racial profiling

I'd be taking very clear action and throwing the book at my neighbors if they installed this.

Please
or

Brockaslass · 18/12/2020 04:04

You could try a mirrored screen it's reflect light and blind camera. Can't say you'd be popular though. Your other options talking to them. When we had CCTV put up we knew the only way to cover side of property was to overlook neighbours side entrance so we asked before we did. She actually asked that we ensure it got her back door in so that she felt more secure. You will never know till you talk to them.

Please
or

Cakeandcoffeea · 18/12/2020 06:27

When we got cctv we realised it would be a little on our neighbours garden so we asked her and she was fine about it or we would hve moved it a bit. We got ours for security due to many local burglaries and vandalising of cars ect. Your neighbour may not know you’re upset unless you talk to them. I’d hate to think someone was upset due to ours but we have all ours surrounding the whole house on our cars, garden and front area but not on anyone’s private areas. We do not sit an watch it. It’s just there for security IF something happens. Just talk to them.

Please
or

Babyyodasmacarons · 18/12/2020 08:29

The OP sounds like a character from the tv show Shameless bragging about how she would smash up the doorbell but says it wouldn’t be her and she would get someone else to do it so basically it would be some shady criminal characters.

Who even knows people like this? Unless they are rough as fuck themselves. Normal people don’t associate with criminals or criminal activity and the OP talks openly about not only committing a crime but getting in touch with criminals to do so.

Anyone who thinks this is in the realms of normality is just as unhinged as she is.

This. You can’t just damage something because you don’t like it OP. The fact you even thought out it. You’re going to get yourself arrested but maybe that’s what you need.

Please
or

ruby4ever · 18/12/2020 09:24

I don't for a second believe her neighbours agreed to take it down!! As if the ring they paid for isnt 'W orking right'

Please
or

Santina · 18/12/2020 09:33

If you have cctv you are only allowed to have it record your own property and you must advertise that you are recording. Personally I wouldn't be bothered about it as it is some form of security for me, however I would be a bit miffed at my doorbell keep going off because you are in and out of your house. They might get fed up with soon.

Please
or

mollypuss1 · 18/12/2020 09:43

@prh47bridge

The fact a doorbell can record images does not mean it definitely breaks regulations. A doorbell only falls under the same regulations as a CCTV system if it records beyond the boundary of your private domestic property which includes your garden

Wrong. It always falls under the same regulations. Just like a CCTV system, it is fine if it only records things within the boundary of your property. Just like a CCTV system there are restrictions if it records beyond your boundary.

You are correct that it does not break any regulations if it only records within the boundary of your property. I did not say anything contrary to that. But you are quite wrong to say that it only falls under the same regulations as a CCTV system if it records beyond the boundary. It always falls under the same regulations.

If you want to disagree with that I suggest you take it up with the ICO since they agree with me.

You seem to be telling me I’m wrong by explaining to me why I’m right?

I have just checked and the ICO states “Data protection laws don’t apply if the cameras cover only the user’s own private property, including their garden” which is what I said.
Please
or

PinkSparklyPussyCat · 18/12/2020 09:52

I’m wondering how it works in my case (not that my neighbour is bothered). We have a shared path leading to our front doors which are next to each other. The front garden is ours. As we are leasehold I presume the path belongs to the freeholder (can’t remember without checking the lease) and he would have to sort out any disputes

Please
or

KindredSpirit1 · 18/12/2020 11:04

I am glad that it has been resolved, though you could have avoided all the worry by talking to them sooner & not imagining the worse. We have cameras but not set to record audio and our neighbour was happy to have their path covered. The point is we didn’t assume anything and asked. I think most people just cannot be bothered to sit and watch the equivalent of paint drying. The main reason we got cameras is that children were petrified of anyone being outside and they could check for themselves that they were safe.
I totally agree that Amazon get away with far too much especially as they aren’t allegedly paying their fair share of tax and the Ring tone is so annoying.

Please
or

GlummyMcGlummerson · 18/12/2020 11:34

@ruby4ever

I don't for a second believe her neighbours agreed to take it down!! As if the ring they paid for isnt 'W orking right'

Neither do I.

I think either he OP is saving face or they nodded and agreed because she sounds pretty rough TBH, but have no intention of taking it down
Please
or

GlummyMcGlummerson · 18/12/2020 11:35

Personally I wouldn't be bothered about it as it is some form of security for me, however I would be a bit miffed at my doorbell keep going off because you are in and out of your house. They might get fed up with soon.

The doorbell only goes off when people ring the doorbell, not when a motion is detected

Please
or

sheridanstar · 18/12/2020 12:40

Why dont you take a photo of the layout of your front doors and post a link to it here so we can see what we're working with and if theres something that can be done?

Please
or

prh47bridge · 18/12/2020 14:11

@mollypuss1 - you are partly right and partly wrong. You are right where you agreed with me but wrong on the bit where you said I was wrong Smile

You said I was wrong in saying that a Ring doorbell falls under the same regulations as a CCTV system. Specifically, you said, "A doorbell only falls under the same regulations as a CCTV system if it records beyond the boundary of your private domestic property which includes your garden". That is not true. A doorbell that can record images always falls under the same regulations as a CCTV system. However, just as with a CCTV system, it only breaks those regulations if it records beyond your boundary (and even then it does not necessarily break the regulations).

Please
or

fairydustandpixies · 18/12/2020 14:20

They are not going to be analysing every motion clip on the camera, trust me. In no time at all, when the novelty has worn off, they will just ignore it. I give it a couple of days. I have one, my neighbour whose front door is next to mine like yours has one, they're just normal now. They are a source of comfort if, like me, you live alone. I'm sure you're not so interesting that they'll be watching your every move. If you are then perhaps they're gathering evidence for the police????

Please
or

Cheeseandlobster · 18/12/2020 14:28

@Babyyodasmacarons

*The OP sounds like a character from the tv show Shameless bragging about how she would smash up the doorbell but says it wouldn’t be her and she would get someone else to do it so basically it would be some shady criminal characters.

Who even knows people like this? Unless they are rough as fuck themselves. Normal people don’t associate with criminals or criminal activity and the OP talks openly about not only committing a crime but getting in touch with criminals to do so.

Anyone who thinks this is in the realms of normality is just as unhinged as she is.*

This. You can’t just damage something because you don’t like it OP. The fact you even thought out it. You’re going to get yourself arrested but maybe that’s what you need.

This This This

I cannot believe you actually have the audacity to go round and tell them that you want it gone. I hope they tell you where to go and laugh a lot behind your back. Do you really think you and your family are that interesting to them? Hmm
Please
or

jillybeanclevertips · 18/12/2020 14:52

There's got to be someway that this is an invasion of privacy. A basic human right. With neighbours who are not willing to consider the effectb this has on you, I would retaliate, with a gong which goes off everytime their doorbell rings. It would scare the hell out of their visitors, and mnaybe cause them to rethiunk their choice. Set up your own "Black box" Looks like a camera, but isn't.Let them think you are taking videos of them.

Please
or

LovelyIssues · 18/12/2020 15:44

Unless your part of Mi5 I'm sure you're really not THAT interesting to them Confused

Please
or

PinkSparklyPussyCat · 18/12/2020 16:32

@jillybeanclevertips

There's got to be someway that this is an invasion of privacy. A basic human right. With neighbours who are not willing to consider the effectb this has on you, I would retaliate, with a gong which goes off everytime their doorbell rings. It would scare the hell out of their visitors, and mnaybe cause them to rethiunk their choice. Set up your own "Black box" Looks like a camera, but isn't.Let them think you are taking videos of them.

Unless you're a perfect neighbour then live and let live FFS! My neighbour slams the door so hard my hall door shakes, I can hear their phone calls clearly, they have no carpet and walk I can hear them walking around all the time, they drag chairs across the wooden floor. If they complained about my Ring doorbell I would have a few things to say to them and one of them would not be 'I'll remove it'! We get on very well so we just get on with our lives.
Please
or

TalkToTheHand123 · 18/12/2020 16:42

Who are your neighbours? (as in how many, age etc)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.