Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think 8.00am isn't too early ...

326 replies

LakieLady · 08/06/2020 17:58

To mow the grass?

We have a very quiet electric mower. And most mornings there are delivery lorries/vans making a racket at 8 (the whole street seems to be extending their house atm, we have a builder's lorry almost every day and they always come early).

The sun is on the back garden until gone 6pm, I work until 2.30 and by the time the grass is in the shade I'm frankly knackered.

Would it really BU to give it a quick mow at 8?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1287 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
82%
You are NOT being unreasonable
18%
Cam2020 · 09/06/2020 08:19

But people would normally be at, or their way to or getting ready for work at 8am on a workday? Just because circumstances have meant some people get an extra lie in, life hasn't changed for everyone! It's a perk of the rubbish situation not a right! I think some people are really going to struggle to get back to a normal routine if they're going to be so upset by a lawnmower at 8am. Hmm

Somewhereinthesky · 09/06/2020 08:33

It's not normal circumstances though. I just went out side into my garden. Only thing I can hear is the bird songs. Very quiet, tranquil morning, still at half 8.

IndieRo · 09/06/2020 08:48

I'm an early riser, usually up by 6am so not lying in bed but 8am is too early.

LadyMuck111 · 09/06/2020 08:53

I've just got up not long ago and my neighbour was cutting his grass with a big noisy petrol lawnmower. Doesn't bother me at all. It didn't wake me up and it's a lovely sunny morning. My other neighbours 4 dogs yapping first thing annoy me more.

zingally · 09/06/2020 09:00

Yes, that's too early. Might have juuuust about been acceptable pre-corona when most people would be up and about for work/school by 8. But nowadays, with lots of families/individuals still off, 8am is too early and many people will still be sleeping.
I'd say 9 was just about acceptable, but 10 would be better.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo · 09/06/2020 09:20

I think it’s fine on a weekday.

Abraid2 · 09/06/2020 10:08

This furlough business really has become a bit much. For a lot of people weekdays are still workdays and 8am is an acceptable start. For a lot of people, that's when they used to be expected in the office.

Cam2020 · 09/06/2020 10:32

This furlough business really has become a bit much. For a lot of people weekdays are still workdays and 8am is an acceptable start. For a lot of people, that's when they used to be expected in the office.

I absolutely agree. The world does not revolve around them and for some people, life is just the same. I'm WFH and enjoying not getting up so early/no commute but it's a perk and it's still a weekday - we're not talking 6am here.

Whoever's thread that was about people being lazy that I argued with, I take it back!

TheCanterburyWhales · 09/06/2020 10:53

But people working from home are still working surely?
I'm not in the UK and we've been WFH since March. I'm WFH and DH was furloughed.
My working day started the same time as usual.

The whole Covid thing is a red herring anyway as MN is always divided on these threads.

Same thing with kids making noise. For every person who tries to keep their children quiet at 6 am there's another who "can't"

LovePoppy · 09/06/2020 13:17

For everyone saying 10 AM on a weekday, are you supposed to stop your workday to go mow the lawn at 10 AM? Or just sit around and wait until 10 AM to do it? Seems like an awful waste of time.

Love51 · 09/06/2020 13:23

I'd rather you did it at 8 while I'm still in the 'preparing for the working day' phase rather than at 9 when I'm fully involved in working hard. If I'm not working, knock yourself out! (Posted on my lunch break!)

ImInYourMindFuzz · 09/06/2020 13:31

Night hours are 11pm - 7am. Reasonable noise is permitted outside if these times, lawn mowing is classed as this. It’s hardly like you’re doing this on a daily basis and it’s an essential part of maintaining your property. You would be pressed to find any council taking a lawn-mowing once a week at 8am complaint seriously.

Personally I’d check for dew that early if it’s still damp it’ll be damaging it. Same goes for too late in the evening (not damp, but cutting too late before evening can lead to damage as mould and spores can get into the cut blades).

Malbecblooms · 09/06/2020 13:36

It's fine. Unless You work until very late at night I think it's really lazy to be asleep at 8am.

TimeWastingButFun · 09/06/2020 13:37

I wouldn't mow the grass at that time as it's drier and much easier to cut in the afternoon/eve. We mow ours 2-3 times a week and never before lunchtime.

TimeWastingButFun · 09/06/2020 13:38

How can you hear the neighbours' washing machine??

TeacupDrama · 09/06/2020 13:57

Noisy work is not supposed to start before 8am Monday to Friday and 9am on Saturdays, noise would have to be fairly extreme for it to stand a chance of a complaint being upheld if after 7am or before 11pm

mowing a lawn in a normal domestic property twice a week would never be considered a nuisance by any council at 8am, if OP had builders in they would be making more noise from 8am onwards all day everyday instead of maybe 30 minutes low level noise twice a week

PuntoEBasta · 09/06/2020 14:13

@TimeWastingButFun

How can you hear the neighbours' washing machine??

Very easily if they have it against a party wall in a terraced or semi-detached house, or in the flat above.
DurhamDurham · 09/06/2020 14:19

I think 8am is too early to cut the grass, the fact that there's already noise is irrelevant. Adding to the noise and disturbance would be very antisocial.

Jen4813 · 09/06/2020 14:30

@TimeWastingButFun
“How can you hear the neighbours' washing machine??“

Unless you live in a detached house very easily! I live in a flat and our upstairs neighbours washing machine shakes the walls on spin. Luckily they don’t put it on before 10am or in the evening.

alittlerespectgoesalongway · 09/06/2020 14:56

It's fine. Unless You work until very late at night I think it's really lazy to be asleep at 8am.

!!!

Can I just check I understand the rules - is going to bed at 9pm also lazy? If you need a lot of sleep is 8 am still lazy? Who made this rule and why didn't they share it?

snappycamper · 09/06/2020 15:09

Yes, that's too early. Might have juuuust about been acceptable pre-corona when most people would be up and about for work/school by 8. But nowadays, with lots of families/individuals still off, 8am is too early and many people will still be sleeping.
I'd say 9 was just about acceptable, but 10 would be better.

If I was fitting mowing my lawn in around a full time work schedule, this attitude would piss me right off. The garden is the one thing I don't do, but my OH does it around his FT work. I really couldn't care less if it disturbs the sleep of people with literally nothing else to do.

Somewhereinthesky · 09/06/2020 16:19

The thing is, those who still work full time at home may be working at different time schedule than normal office hours to fit in with home schooling/child care. They may work late, and would love to sleep until later than normal time, since there is no commute, etc. So, I don't think just because people are getting up later, or rather want to enjoy quiet morning, people are being lazy.

TeacupDrama · 09/06/2020 16:29

this is why there are some rules

general domestic noise should cease at 11pm until 7pm as it is considered reasonable that there is peace and quiet in these hours and if you live in a flat running a washing machine after 11pm would be considered a nuisance

Other things during day maybe considered a nuisance is they are for more than so many hours or above a certain level practising a trumpet for 1 hour a day not a statutory nuisanc playing for 3-4 hours probably is having a noisy party too 11pm 3 nights a year not a stauatoryy nuisance playing loud music every night until 11pm almost certainly is
using a lawnmower after 8am will never be a statuatory nuisance and no complaint about it would stand a chance of being upheld

building companies are only allowed to make noise between 8am-6pm in the week and 9am-1pm on Saturdays and not at all on Sundays

DIY does not need to follow above rules ( as DIY is mostly done on evenings and weekends ) but it needs to be reasonable times
DIY refers to who is doing the work not the extent or simplicity/ complexity of it

Ponoka7 · 09/06/2020 16:55

While people are off work and children off school, it's too early.

Iloveappleproducts · 09/06/2020 17:04

8 am is the time most tradesmen start work around here in the week and 9 at weekends.
So that's perfectly fine
Most people should be going to work anyway ( or starting work at home )

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.