My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think that Turkeys Voted for Christmas?

847 replies

StormzysHat · 15/12/2019 13:45

NC. This could appear goady but honestly it's a genuine confusion to me.

According to what we are led to believe by the media / some people on MN, "northerners" (as a generic group) voted for Conservatives because they are disadvantaged and fed up with the north south divide among other reasons.

How come disadvantaged Londoners voted Labour? I work in support sector and many people in my care will be in shelters this Christmas, and others rely on food banks. They were saddened and disheartened by Labour's loss and felt the Conservatives in no way represent them. This is on top of the Tory devised hostile environment and Windrush scandal making peoples' lives hell.

I understand that people are / have been pissed off and wanted to have their voices heard. But WHY would the very communities ravaged by the Tories in the 80's vote for them?

Why is it that Corbyn who lives in a very modest way, in Upper Holloway and who went to grammar school is seen as less acceptable than an old Etonian millionaire proven liar? How can Boris Jonson be seen as someone who can help the north south divide or to champion the working class FFS??

I completely accept Corbyn's leadership has been poor and don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan. BUT, given the alternative, I can't understand HOW working class people could vote for Johnson?

AIBU to think the turkeys just voted for Christmas?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

935 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
46%
You are NOT being unreasonable
54%
MarshaBradyo · 17/12/2019 15:36

Hippy never sells. Ed had a different but same sort of issue.

Plus BJ was a tv character first, same buffoon.

Funny he doesn’t like the BBC yet the BBC do like him over Corbyn.

thefluffysideofgrey · 17/12/2019 15:38

Boris is basically a posh Roy Chubby Brown.

There is still a lot of ingrained snobbery in this country- people like their leaders to be posh.

TatianaLarina · 17/12/2019 15:39

EntirelyAnonymised

Because they think that Brexit is the magic bullet that will fix everything. So whoever delivers Brexit is ‘listening to them’ and will deliver relief to their communities.

Of course it’s all hogwash - as they will discover shortly.

RunningAwaywiththeCircus · 17/12/2019 15:40

This reply has been withdrawn

Message from MNHQ: This post has been withdrawn

TatianaLarina · 17/12/2019 15:41

There is still a lot of ingrained snobbery in this country- people like their leaders to be posh.

Fair point. And they like their princesses, white, British, posh.

Boulshired · 17/12/2019 15:45

In fairness though voting Tory has highlighted these areas more than anyone has done for years, including the Blair years. I think there has been a lack of acknowledgement that white working class boys in deprived areas have been struggling with receiving quality education and working opportunities for decades. They voted for change.

thefluffysideofgrey · 17/12/2019 15:46

Anybody else notice than the narrative has changed recently?

To an everything is lovely approach?

billysboy · 17/12/2019 15:47

isnt it time we all moved on ?

derxa · 17/12/2019 15:47

There is still a lot of ingrained snobbery in this country- people like their leaders to be posh. What? Like Harold Wilson or Edward Heath?

Hollachica · 17/12/2019 15:52

I hate that fucking saying...................Labour lost because they blatantly ignored their supporters and democracy, Corbyn was not deemed to be a leader the majority wanted to follow. There was a clear message from the public.

TatianaLarina · 17/12/2019 15:56

Heath and Wilson went to Oxford via grammar school.

thefluffysideofgrey · 17/12/2019 15:59

@billysboy

No, this is a democracy.

It's a constant process. Discussion and debate are part of that.

DuckWillow · 17/12/2019 16:02

Boulshired has nailed it with the last post she made.

Working class young men don't feel listened to . Whether they will be heard by Boris is another matter but fact is to keep their loyalty he will have a lot to deliver.

I'm wishing him genuine success with this as it will benefit everyone if he can pull everything together.

I do wonder what they will blame though once they realise leaving the EU will make sod all difference to their lives. That improvement has to come from Government....and it has to be inclusive of all communities.

thefluffysideofgrey · 17/12/2019 16:14

Do working class young men vote? I thought it was the older generation who rejected Corbyn?

derxa · 17/12/2019 16:17

Heath and Wilson went to Oxford via grammar school. God almighty I know that. We used to live in Broadstairs. It's a grammar school system in Thanet to this day.
Here's a bit from Heath's wiki page
Edward Heath was born at 54 Albion Road, Broadstairs, Kent on 9 July 1916, the son of William George Heath (1888–1976), a carpenter who built air frames for Vickers during the First World War, and was subsequently employed as a builder[3] and Edith Anne Heath (née Pantony; 1888–1951), a maid. His father was later a successful small businessman after taking over a building and decorating firm. Heath's paternal grandfather had run a small dairy business, and when that failed worked as a porter at Broadstairs Station on the Southern Railway.[3] Edward was four years old when his younger brother, John, was born; there was no question that Edward was the "favoured brother."[4] Heath was known as "Teddy" as a young man.[5] He was educated at Chatham House Grammar School in Ramsgate, and in 1935 with the aid of a county scholarship he went up to study at Balliol College, Oxford.[6]

In later years, Heath's peculiar accent, with its "strangulated" vowel sounds, combined with his non-Standard pronunciation of "l" as "w" and "out" as "eout", was satirised by Monty Python in the audio sketch "Teach Yourself Heath" (released on a 7" flexi-disc single included with initial copies of their 1972 LP Monty Python's Previous Record).[7] Heath's biographer John Campbell speculates that his speech, unlike that of his father and younger brother, who both spoke with Kent accents, must have undergone "drastic alteration on encountering Oxford", although retaining elements of Kent speech.

Note the snobbery from the Monty Python crew.

Trewser · 17/12/2019 16:17

Do working class young men vote?

🤔

Justanotherlurker · 17/12/2019 16:23

The ingrained snobbery has come out in full force since Thursday, and it has been from those who are struggling to work out how Labour lost, with threads titled such as this one.

koshkat · 17/12/2019 16:24

Boris = funny, likes the ladies, gets pissed and has an argument with his girlfriend (spilling booze on sofa) laughs at Muslims, gay people and African people, hates the BBC and channel 4....

The fact that you think that THIS is why many working class people voted for Boris Johnson says it all really. Fucking hell. Hmm

Trewser · 17/12/2019 16:26

koshkat sickening isn't it.

thefluffysideofgrey · 17/12/2019 16:27

Yep....

It's also a similar reason to why a lot of posh people voted for him.

Most people do not read manifestos or follow policy. They absorb sound bites, headlines and memes. That is regardless of class.

This is reality.

koshkat · 17/12/2019 16:28

It really is. Fucking horrible.

thefluffysideofgrey · 17/12/2019 16:29

Yep, reality is tough.

koshkat · 17/12/2019 16:29

Which is more likely to get the working class vote?

This was you question you posed after your crappy little list so do not try to pretend that you meant everyone. You meant the working class. And you are so hugely out of order that I am speechless.

koshkat · 17/12/2019 16:30

In fact I am fucking outraged.

FreedomfromPE · 17/12/2019 16:33

Too scared of PR probably

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.