Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

London Independence

200 replies

LearningEveryDay19 · 14/12/2019 22:03

The majority of London voted Labour - principalfish.co.uk/electionmaps/?map=election2019

The majority of London voted Remain - principalfish.co.uk/electionmaps/brexit.html

AIBU in suggesting that London should have a referendum on whether to become an independent city state, in order to remain in the EU?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

618 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
71%
You are NOT being unreasonable
29%
Dontsweatthelittlestuff · 14/12/2019 22:04

Please make it stop

Grasspigeons · 14/12/2019 22:06

Only if i can declare Hampshire independent. It has a lot of potential. Good cities, countryside, coast, ports, airports, naval base to defend itself.

ClownsandCowboys · 14/12/2019 22:09

Lots of big cities voted Labour and remain. How about people in London take the time to understand why people up North feel so abandoned, so fed up of our London centric country.

TrainspottingWelsh · 14/12/2019 23:59

Fine by me. But first they can share out all the numerous benefits and investments they've taken more than their share of for far too long. Same for industry and employment.

And once independent can be limited to the same funding as anywhere else. No more extra funding for schools, same spend per head for public transport, same funding for public amenities, culture etc. And with that lower funding they can take their share of any difficulties. Eg no more shipping out low income or benefit claimants. And they'll also need to start taking their share of asylum seekers and all the complex needs and problems they have, not just dumping them minus any extra funding to support them in already struggling areas.

London can be just like everywhere else, rather than the hunger games capitol it's already becoming.

If you mean London should become independent and the rest of the uk continue to subsidise and prioritise it, then no.

kittykatkitty · 15/12/2019 00:19

😂😂😂😂😂

BMW6 · 15/12/2019 00:27

By all means, if we can tunnel under London, widen the Thames and float it to France (Londoners have to pay for it BTW)

Redwinestillfine · 15/12/2019 00:27

It wasn't just London, this equally applies to Liverpool, Newcastle etc but the fact that London doesn't look outside of itself is part of the problem talking of ' the north' as if we spoke with one voice

Riv · 15/12/2019 00:30

Yes please. London is so out of touch with the rest of the country. Although the cost of housing is a bit higher than many other places (not all though) there are jobs available, busses that run every few minutes and an underground. Not to mention subsided transport.
School have reasonable buildings and better per pupil funding. Here our local high school has had buckets on the stairs when it rains for the last 20 years that I know of and no money for repair or funding for a new build.
News is London centric- we all hear about London problems- the rest of the country can be falling apart but that’s not really reported.
I’m sure there are problems down there, but support is available. There are things to do and see for free (and to be warm if you are skint) London has it easy compared to the rest of us.
So yes, please be independent. Survive on your own taxes and let the rest of us stop subsidising you.

BlouseAndSkirt · 15/12/2019 00:31

“If you mean London should become independent and the rest of the uk continue to subsidise and prioritise it, then no.”

London is the only city to make a net contribution to the economy. The rest of the UK does not subsidise London.

LookingforLemons · 15/12/2019 00:32
Biscuit
Thelnebriati · 15/12/2019 00:34

Hasn't this already been done, when Pimlico declared itself a separate nation? Immortalized in the film, Passport to Pimlico - because you needed a passport to get to Pimlico, if you did not live there.

Namenic · 15/12/2019 00:41

I think it is unlikely that other regions in uk subsidise London as a lot of money is generated there compared to other places. London councils probably pay other councils to ease their housing waiting lists - this these other places probably gain money from London, OR pricing is wrong and they charge them too little.

ChristaMSieland · 15/12/2019 01:04

Have you considered growing up, OP?

blue25 · 15/12/2019 01:10

“Survive on your own taxes and let the rest of us stop subsidising you”

I think you’ll find it’s London that’s subsidising all the rest of you.

MrsTerryPratchett · 15/12/2019 01:11

Stick a fence up around the M25? Why not?

AlunWynsKnee · 15/12/2019 01:14

There was a drama on R4 about this not long after the Brexit vote. It was very dystopian.

HeronLanyon · 15/12/2019 01:14

Steady on. The m25?! That’s a bit far out surely ?Grin

ThePants999 · 15/12/2019 01:15

People actually think that the rest of the country props up London!?

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed · 15/12/2019 01:18

What a fantastic idea

Can we then give true Londoners (those born in London) more power than those that were born elsewhere

I would also like separate passports, I think we should revive a yearly born in London and stay in London payment, maybe we could have our own public transport too

The list is endless of what we true Londoners could have available to us. Now why wasn’t this magnificent policy in any of the manifestos Confused

hiphiphoorayback · 15/12/2019 01:18

GrinGrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

Enough already - LET IT GO

MrsTerryPratchett · 15/12/2019 01:23

Steady on. The m25?! That’s a bit far out surely ?

Oi gitface Croydon Massive innit?

CatAndHisKit · 15/12/2019 01:25

Newcastle had a huge Labour majority, and ALL the cities in East Midlands voted Labour/remain.

CharlottesPleb · 15/12/2019 01:28

Does anyone know which way ginger people happened to vote overall? I think we may have a watertight case for establishing Gingerstan

Lexplorer · 15/12/2019 01:28

Are there really other parts of the UK where e.g. 3 bed semis cost more than they do in London? Shock

MrsTerryPratchett · 15/12/2019 01:29

With the genetic prevalence, Gingerstan is solidly SNP (maybe SF as well).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.