My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think that the outcome of the general election shows the results of what a second referendum would have been?

143 replies

TheNameGames · 13/12/2019 07:06

This was sold as a Brexit General election and the resounding result of a Conservative landslide majority surely demonstrates once and for all that the majority of people (again, well, even more now) want Brexit to happen, despite people insisting people had changed their minds.

To people that said they would accept the result of a second referendum, do you accept it now? (I’m not talking about the conservatives winning, but specifically about the referendum result). If not, what, specifically, was the reason for a Conservative landslide?

All parties need to shift their stances before the next election, and fast, IMO.

OP posts:
Jojo19834 · 13/12/2019 07:07

Nope, it shows that people are sick of the subject and want it done with so we can move on with the future. My vote was for that not for Brexit.

AlwaysCheddar · 13/12/2019 07:08

The EU will be very worried now (good).

Jojo19834 · 13/12/2019 07:08

Oh and I couldn’t vote for JC, there are Labour policies I would like to vote for but currently far too left wing for me to consider

LookingforLemons · 13/12/2019 07:09

Nope. It shows that, given the choice between the shitshow that is Boris and Brexit and the shitshow that would have been a corbyn/McDonnell government, people saw Boris and Brexit as just slightly less shitty.

Now we have to pray that they were right, because I don’t see what else we can do!

YourOpinionIsNoted · 13/12/2019 07:09

My vote was not in line with my view on brexit.

TheNameGames · 13/12/2019 07:11

@Jojo19834
You say “nope” but you’ve just agreed with me. I said in my OP people “want Brexit to happen” and you, in your post said people “want it done with” (aka, it happening).

OP posts:
Andonandonan · 13/12/2019 07:12

Yes. I agree this is as close to a people’s vote on brexit as we’re going to get.

I’m absolutely devastated because I wholeheartedly believe Brexit is going to be hugely damaging (as if it hasn’t already been) for our country and am very scared for the future (which will see brexit related impacts for many many more years... brexit will in no way be done in the near future) but I accept this is what as majority in my country wants.

I don’t understand it, or think they are right, but I accept it.

So now I need to think about where I belong. I’m heartbroken.

BMW6 · 13/12/2019 07:13

Yes of course

notnowmaybelater · 13/12/2019 07:14

Is a 43% share of the vote a resounding vote for Brexit in lieu of a referendum?

Bluntness100 · 13/12/2019 07:16

No I don't think so, because a lot of it was also about the rejection of the hard left. So not purely a brexit election, even though labour are trying to pretend it was only that.

Solihooley · 13/12/2019 07:16

Yes. I agree. I thought that more people might have changed their minds but I’m sure now another ref would return a leave vote. It’s not what I want and doesn’t make me happy.

joan12 · 13/12/2019 07:17

No. Plus, an overall majority of people voted for parties that support a second referendum. Shame the remain alliance couldn't get traction and pull together.

WobblyAllOver · 13/12/2019 07:18

I voted remain and still think remain is the right choice for me.

However, the majority of the country that had an opinion and voted leave should stand. I think it's harmful to keep voting on leaving or staying as the uncertainty is terrible.

I also didn't vote yesterday on just Brexit. I voted for the polices of the parties as a whole.

MissEliza · 13/12/2019 07:19

Boris Johnson made it very clear that a vote for him was a vote to 'get Brexit done'. If you voted Conservative, you have voted for Brexit. If you couldn't stomach Corbyn but were a remainer, you should have voted Lib Dem.

StatisticallyChallenged · 13/12/2019 07:19

I don't think it is, not when there were many other factors at play and when the initial referendum results were so close.

You saw similar in Scotland post indyref- the yes vote consolidated in snp, plus some people who vote snp but aren't pro indy. Vote share was still well under 50 though, even this time its 45. You can't extrapolate GE seats to brexit support

scissy · 13/12/2019 07:21

You're confusing FPTP with a referendum OP. I suspect a 2nd referendum would produce results similar to the first fwiw.

PreseaCombatir · 13/12/2019 07:22

Not really, but I think if the vote would have gone the other way, it would have been used as ‘proof’ people has changed their minds as well.

nestisflown · 13/12/2019 07:22

No I wasn't voting on brexit, I was voting bases on policies offered. If given a second referendum I will vote remain, but in a GE, the lib dems are not and will never be my party.

ShiveringCoyote · 13/12/2019 07:24

Women were not left with much choice due to the left's views on self ID.

RedandYellowSunrise · 13/12/2019 07:27

A greater percentage still voted for remain parties. So no not definite proof. However we have to stop this second guessing now. I hate what the conservatives stand for but they have a majority and I will stand behind them.

TheNameGames · 13/12/2019 07:28

Fair and interesting points I hadn’t thought of.

OP posts:
ethelfleda · 13/12/2019 07:28

No. You are wrong.

ShinyGiratina · 13/12/2019 07:29

Years of political stalemate and uncertainty are also very damaging to the country.

It's not a result I voted for, not that it makes any difference in my seat. In terms of domestic policy, it's not an outcome I desire. But, I hope that getting a political direction does give the country some certainty.

It also gives Labour a kick to sort themselves out and become a credible opppsition.

A lot of nearby constituencies have changed hands. 2016 was not a shock in my region and a lot of people have been angy and dismayed by politics since then. There are too many oblivious political bubbles where people create their own echo chamber and belittle other view points and then get a shock that large swathes of the electorate don't agree with them.

Jenpop234 · 13/12/2019 07:29

They'll never accept it. Best out of 5? 🤣

Tolleshunt · 13/12/2019 07:29

YABU.

Many votes Tory reluctantly, and only because they saw Corbyn as a greater threat even then Brexit. Had Labour had an electable leader the outcome would likely have been different.

The trouble is that Boris and the Tories will now spin this as a mandate for a hard Brexit. Which it isn’t. But your post highlights how they will get away with it. The manipulative fuckers.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.