Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

If Scotland becomes independent

130 replies

needsomehelptoday · 13/12/2019 00:16

If Scotland becomes independent how long until a general election would be called and what do you predict the results would be? Do you think SNP would eventually disband?

OP posts:
Gingerkittykat · 13/12/2019 00:30

Scotland will still take a long time to become independent.

I don't think the SNP would disband, they have loads of policies that are not independence. I do think their share of the vote would go down though.

The UK would need to call a general election if independence happens since it would be a different country and a large proportion of their MPs would disappear.

Babdoc · 13/12/2019 16:16

The SNP share of the vote dropped from 50% to 45% last night, so they have no mandate for another independence referendum - and on those figures would lose it anyway.
They only got so many MPs because the unionist vote is split across three different parties - but they would all join together to vote No.

Narppadarp · 13/12/2019 16:16

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mummmy2017 · 13/12/2019 16:20

Scotland would have to take their share of debt.
They would stop getting funding from UK.
Their would have to cut funding on many things.
Would people vote for this?
By the way , lots of us would let them go.

XDownwiththissortofthingX · 13/12/2019 16:54

@Babdoc

The SNP increased their vote share last night from 36.9%, but just you keep on repeating your ignorant, factually incorrect garbage in every single thread that mentions Scotland, a country you evidently despise but chose to spend most of your life allegedly working and living in for some baffling reason.

HopeOverFear · 13/12/2019 17:03

The SNP share of the vote dropped from 50% to 45% last night, so they have no mandate for another independence referendum - and on those figures would lose it anyway.
They only got so many MPs because the unionist vote is split across three different parties - but they would all join together to vote No.

If bumbling Boris claims that 44% of the vote and 56% of seats is a "Powerful new Mandate" for his hard Brexit then the SNPs 45% of votes and 81% of seats is absolutely enough for a mandate to hold a second referendum. You are also assuming all yes supporters strictly vote SNP and no vote ld for other parties and while most will it is not as clear cut as that.

By the way , lots of us would let them go.

Yet I don't see any of your politicians campaigning to get rid of the financial burden that is Scotland... not a single one. A country in crippling dept struggling to fund major public services but campaigned furiously to keep Scotland in the union to the point Cameron tried to enlist the Queen to influence the vote. I also like how you word that like it's your decision? Say Scotland voted to leave are you suggesting England have to hold one on whether you will then permit us to leave?

NameChangeNugget · 13/12/2019 17:19

I’m interested to hear their plans to pick up their share of the national debt.

BubblesBuddy · 13/12/2019 17:41

A lot of English wouldn’t care if the Scots stay or leave. What they won’t want is prolonged wrangling over how this is dime. It’s really complex and will cost a great deal of money and time. That’s why people want to preserve the union. It’s not out of wanting the Scots it’s more to do with not wanting to make the effort to separate. Plus I do think it would upset the Queen!

BubblesBuddy · 13/12/2019 17:41

dime - done.

1066vegan · 13/12/2019 17:45

If Scotland does become independent, can I emigrate? I've got visions of an endless Tory government and ever increasing inequality without the Scots to balance things out.

PS. I spoke to a few other teachers when I got into work this morning and (after the initial horror) that was the first thought/escape plan that we'd all had.

SilverySurfer · 13/12/2019 17:48

Boris has said no to another indyref while he is PM so it's not going to happen.

Fatasfooook · 13/12/2019 17:50

Bojo will never allow another independence referendum for scotland. It’s written into their manifesto, page 48. He intends to change the constitution and it will lead to the tories being impossible to vote out and the uk will become a dictatorship. Sounds dramatic and I’m sure many will scoff at my comment but read the manifesto and do your research. There is no hope for anyone anymore

Oldbutstillgotit · 13/12/2019 17:53

Yesterday the result in Scotland was :

SNP 1,242,380 votes

Unionist Parties 1,468, 248 votes

SNP total equates to 45% of the vote which -coincidentally- is the % they received in 2014.

Sturgeon is a lot of things but she isn’t stupid so I can’t believe that deep down she really wants Indyref2 when she has a good chance of losing

KenDodd · 13/12/2019 17:55

Yet I don't see any of your politicians campaigning to get rid of the financial burden that is Scotland... not a single one.

I predict that will change with some of the new hardline English nationalist Torys.

billysboy · 13/12/2019 17:58

they have a high percentage of debt to gdp which would currently exclude them from membership of the EU under current rules
also interested in how much of the national debt they are being allocated

Bcnamechanger · 13/12/2019 18:03

I voted labour but would vote yes in a referendum, so can people stop making assumptions about what voting " unionist" means?

MaxNormal · 13/12/2019 18:07

I also voted Labour and would vote yes to Independence and I know a few of my friends are the same.

crispysausagerolls · 13/12/2019 18:20

Boris has said no to another indyref while he is PM so it's not going to happen

This. He has been very clear on the matter and yet there have been several hysterical threads about Scottish Independence today.

BoneyBackJefferson · 13/12/2019 18:22

Would Scotland really want to be independent of the UK and out of the EU?

Hagbeth · 13/12/2019 18:25

How is Scotland with it’s debt be able to pay for things like state pensions? Do they have proper plan how to deal with the increased financial burden on their own?

Fatasfooook · 13/12/2019 18:49

“How is Scotland with it’s debt be able to pay for things like state pensions? Do they have proper plan how to deal with the increased financial burden on their own?”

They could start by charging England for all the water...

needsomehelptoday · 13/12/2019 18:53

This. He has been very clear on the matter and yet there have been several hysterical threads about Scottish Independence today.

I don't think this thread is hysterical?

OP posts:
HirplesWithHaggis · 13/12/2019 19:11

I do wish people chuntering on about Scotland's "debt", "deficit" etc would pay a little more attention. The Scottish Government has to balance the books every year, and has very limited borrowing powers. We have no responsibility for the national debt, and this was accepted by HM Treasury and BoE last time round. Our "deficit" is created by HMG and GERS in no way represents the finances of an independent Scotland.

Hagbeth · 13/12/2019 19:37

Well good, then you have no problems. Good luck. Wink

Pikehau · 13/12/2019 19:44

As a Scot and londoner I dont hear much from the SNP in the media and haven't gone out of my way to look. Just watching Sturgeon today got me wondering. How will scotland earn money if independent?

How will everything be ok? I am very puzzled

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.