Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Let's face reality both options are crap - election

149 replies

ChristmasSweet · 11/12/2019 07:39

Both Johnson or Corbyn are shit options. Both have a lot of downsides. I've yet to find a positive side to either of them. Both lie, both are childish, both will ruin the country in their own unique ways.

Yet there's really no point in voting for any of the others. Snp will never get into power, they are just a wasted vote, as are Plaid cymru, dup etc as they only serve one country. Lib dems are a joke and have been for years.

Yes there is the lovely idea of 'but if we all vote for the lib dems/whoever they could win'. Not really going to happen at this late stage is it? A rainbow coalition is about the most likely scenario, but that didn't exactly work well between the tories and lib dems did it? I can't see Corbyn and sturgeon getting along once she realises he's lied to her. So nothing will get accomplished yet again.

So who the hell do you choose? Which is the least worst evil amongst Johnson or Corbyn?

I actually don't know who to pick. Both suck. Tempted just to spoil my vote now to be honest. Either way the country is screwed from Friday.

OP posts:
DianaT1969 · 11/12/2019 08:01

Agreed. The most dire candidates and cabinet members in my history. Probably in living history.

ChristmasSweet · 11/12/2019 08:05

I know right? I have no idea who to pick tomorrow. Can I pick my cat instead? I swear he'd do a better job.

OP posts:
PrincessFabian · 11/12/2019 08:10

I also have no idea who to vote for tomorrow. I might spoil my vote but I don't really like that option either Confused

AiryFairyMum · 11/12/2019 08:14

It's not about one person. Its about the policies. This schools guide is really interesting. Type in your child's school and see how they will be affected by each party's policies schoolcuts.org.uk/schools/?coords=54,-3&zoom=6

AiryFairyMum · 11/12/2019 08:14
AiryFairyMum · 11/12/2019 08:15
ChristmasSweet · 11/12/2019 08:16

The policies don't really matter when they are both liars. Chances of them keeping their promises? About the same chance I have of becoming a Victoria's secret model.

OP posts:
Frouby · 11/12/2019 08:17

I feel the same, live in a labour stronghold.

I am voting for one of the independents, probably the Yorkshire party. Mainly because it's a protest vote to both the main parties and the more votes the smaller parties get, the more funding they get in the future. I think anyway.

AiryFairyMum · 11/12/2019 08:19

But it isn't a presidential system - individual leaders don't get to make decisions. It is about the parties.

Bibbidybobbitysplated · 11/12/2019 08:20

Couldnt agree more, labours policiesnare wonderful on paper BUT i don't believe the money is there to increase spending to that level!!!

I am a full remainer but i do believe people voted for Brexit so maybe it should happen despite my fears.

Neither manifesto will be stuck to

BertieBotts · 11/12/2019 08:22

Ignore leaders - they can change. Ignore policies - there's too much lying and ridiculousness about the reporting of them. I can think of at least five single issues people I know are claiming this is the one thing to focus on this election - so I've given up on that angle as well.

Look at your local candidates. If they've been MP before, look at their voting record (google John Smith voting record, for example). Search for their names on the local newspaper website to see what they've been up to previous to this election, or whether they have been interviewed. See how they come across. Email them, if you like (I don't know that you'll get a reply at this stage of things though). Vote for the one you feel most confident would stand up for the things you care about and/or who you feel you can talk to and would take you seriously.

If you can't choose between any of them, choose whichever one is least male, white, old and privileged. Might as well shoot for diversity in the HoC if you have got nothing else.

BuzzShitbagBobbly · 11/12/2019 08:22

The most dire candidates and cabinet members in my history. Probably in living history.

Yes, 100%. It's a farce.

And the rentagob merchants all over places like MN are just pathetic.
Making ridiculous OTT statements and virtue signalling everywhere. Nobody's going to suddenly change their vote based on being called a cunt if they don't.

Why can't people accept that tens of millions of people will vote differently to how they will. It doesn't make them evil or hateful.

We're all just trying to pick the least stinking turd from a pile of differently smelly ones.

BertieBotts · 11/12/2019 08:23

I mean... labour's policies have been totally costed out.

But I agree, it is foolish to take the manifesto as gospel, as when has this ever been the case?

GOODCAT · 11/12/2019 08:24

Agree. I am slightly right of centre in my views but wanted to remain. Labour are way too far left and their policies will really damage the economy. The conservatives want brexit and are too far to the right for me and will also damage the economy via brexit. That said I can't see the country back tracking on that decision.

Above all of this I want us to act decisively on climate change. That is an international issue but none of the main parties are really prioritising it.

There is so much rubbish peddled on both sides. No other parties represent my views either.

In reality in my area the conservatives will get in. They have held the seat since it was created. The second largest party are the lib dems. I like their remain stance but disagree with everything else.

nanbread · 11/12/2019 08:25

I know what you mean. Both Labour and Tory parties have swathes of ex-members telling you not to vote for them. I can't remember that happening before in my lifetime! And it's hard to see through all the lies too.

Personally my values are much more in line with Labour / left wing, and I'm very unhappy about the extremely high use of food banks and current levels of child poverty so think I'm going to vote for Labour even though I am really unsure about Corbyn as leader. I might vote for Greens. I'm in a safe seat though.

Babdoc · 11/12/2019 08:26

It’s a much simpler issue up here in Scotland. Vote tactically for whoever has the best chance of defeating the SNP. In my own very tight marginal (21 vote majority) that’s the Tories.
If the SNP get an increased majority, they’ll take it as a mandate to have yet another expensive, divisive independence referendum, and risk tearing our country apart.
To any Scots voters I’d say come and support whichever candidate in your area will keep our country united, even if you aren’t enthusiastic about them. The SNP’s own commissioned economic forecast (confirmed separately by the IFS) shows that independence would be a financial disaster, leading to ten years of crippling austerity.

BlueGingerale · 11/12/2019 08:26

Pleas vote on Brexit. If you want to leave the EU vote Tory. If you want to remain vote labour or Lib Dem - whoever has the best chance in your seat.

If we Brexit it can never be undone. So this is the most important issue to vote on.

ChristmasSweet · 11/12/2019 08:26

The parties won't keep the promises either. The parties themselves don't like their own leaders.

I don't like my current mp so I'll probably just have to do eeny meeny miny mo on the rest.

It's just sad that this is what politics has come to. We don't trust anyone to do their job.

OP posts:
CuriousaboutSamphire · 11/12/2019 08:27

I said I would throw my voting history to the wind and would choose a local, single issue candidate to vote for!

My choices were:

Indy 1: Everything must be decided by reforenda
Indy 2: Just a name
Green: We'll hug the animals, set up businesses to nurture the trees
Labour: We'll build more houses (in an ancient forest??!!)
No Lib Dem or anyone else other than the Tory (I Wannabe PM) incumbent

And the 2 Indies stepped down!

So I vote Tory, for a man I know a little bit, and can't stand.
Or I vote Labour, for a woman who wants to build build build even though the local infrastructure is geographically limited, can't be circumvented, really, I am not NIMBY, it can't!!!
Or I vote Green. For a man who doesn't seem to have noticed that the rest of the world exists!

Help!!!!

Whyjustwhy23 · 11/12/2019 08:30

Agreed, when the right have gone so far as to make me look left, and the left so far as to make my hardcore labour voting mates look central we are basically fucked.

Politicos we work with are describing this as a “least worst option” vote. And there isn’t one.

Costacoffeeplease · 11/12/2019 08:31

There is no ‘best’ option here. I couldn’t vote for Corbyn and McDonnell in a million years but can’t stand boris either. I’m dreading Friday whichever way it goes, and I don’t even live in the uk any more (although to have family there plus we have investments that could be affected). Plus I can’t actually vote as I’ve been away too long - what happened to no taxation without representation’?

BertieBotts · 11/12/2019 08:32

Curious - in that scenario I would defo not vote for the one you can't stand, if you think the other two are hopeless then choose the woman.

BlueGingerale · 11/12/2019 08:34

I don’t think a MP gets to decide where local houses are built? I thought planning permission was all down to the council.

So I think that’s a promise your labour candidate can’t deliver.

Alaimo · 11/12/2019 08:34

I disagree. While I'm not in favour of everything in their manifesto, I think Labour have a good manifesto and I think it is their strongest in years when it comes to environmental issues. I don't think any party ever manages to implement their whole manifesto, but I do see their current manifesto as setting out a general direction that I support. H

APurpleSquirrel · 11/12/2019 08:36

Personally I think for this election it has to be about Brexit - as none of the manifestos mean shit until that has been decided/revoked/agreed etc. Brexit, if implemented will cost money, lots more of it, & many unknown costs on the economy etc so until that is factored in I don't see how any party can promise to spend x amount on anything.
So I'd say vote for the candidate who represents your view on Brexit.
Like you I don't trust any of the parties - they've all lied, back tracked on promises & manifesto pledges when it's suits them but I'm a staunch Remainer & lean more left towards Lib Dem so will be voting for them as they have the best chance in my constituency & our current Tory MP is a total waste of space.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.