Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

AIBU?

badly behaved toddler at Slimming World

149 replies

lindsayincroydon · 29/11/2019 14:55

I go to Slimming World on Friday mornings, and I am finding it really good for losing weight. Our team leader is inspirational, and I love my meeting being in the morning and just around the corner from where I live.
The problem is this: there is a toddler aged about 2 and a half and he is very noisy during the lecture. I am deaf in one ear and when he is stomping around creating havoc, I cannot hear what the team leader is saying.
His mother takes no notice of him, in fact she smiles at him as though he is doing something cute.
I don't know if I should say that I have paid good money to attend the meeting, and it is not a mother and toddler group, but a serious group where other members are trying very hard to lose weight.
What do other people think? Should I say something?
thanks

OP posts:
OnlyFoolsnMothers · 29/11/2019 14:56

It wouldnt bother me but if you are struggling to hear I think you have a right to say something to the team leader (who could then have a word)

Cloudyapples · 29/11/2019 14:57

I’d speak to the team leader - let them decide whether to address it with the mother

MrsMaiselsMuff · 29/11/2019 14:57

Could you sit closer to the group leader?

Or maybe chill out a bit? Slimming World is meant to be relaxed and enjoyable, a serious group having lectures sounds miserable!

blackteaplease · 29/11/2019 14:58

I would say something to the leader rather than the mum but you are right. You pay to attend that group, not to listen to a toddler stomping about.

ScienceIsReal · 29/11/2019 15:00

I'd talk to the leader, I'm amazed children are even allowed to come along!

OopsISnappedAndFarted · 29/11/2019 15:00

I didn’t think toddlers were allowed in the groups. I wouldn’t like the distraction either, the meetings are supposed to inspire you for another week of weight loss, not give you a headache!

x2boys · 29/11/2019 15:01

Speak to the group leader when i went to slimming world last year the did a little talk at the beginning of the meeting about people keeping quiet and being respectful of others etc

pastyballbag · 29/11/2019 15:01

what lecture?! Confused

LolaSmiles · 29/11/2019 15:01

YANBU I'd also say something to the leader and not the mother.

Nothing good comes from people pointing out rude/inconsiderate behaviour to someone who thinks it's totally adorable in their child.

P1nkHeartLovesCake · 29/11/2019 15:05

Your deaf, you can’t hear due to this toddler. Of course you should say something!

I’d just explain to the mother that I struggle with my hearing and her child was making it difficult for me, Any decent person would at least mute the child a bit.

You’ve paid to be there so you should be able to hear

GojuRyuLover · 29/11/2019 15:07

I would also let the team leader know, rather than the mother.
Good luck OP!

Practicalmagico · 29/11/2019 15:08

YANBU how annoying

leghairdontcare · 29/11/2019 15:11

All slimming world groups I've attended have welcomed children as it's difficult for mother's to attend otherwise. And for obvious reasons, mothers of young children are in slimming world's target market.

I think it's fair to have a chat to the consultant and let her know that you can't hear due to your impairment and hopefully find a way you can make it all work.

DuckbilledSplatterPuff · 29/11/2019 15:16

Can you ask the consultant to reserve a seat where you can hear more clearly, ie so that your good ear is closer to her. And ask her how to mitigate the toddler noise maybe by suggesting the group might be able to bring a rug and the mum brings a few toys to keep the toddler occupied.
I've been to meetings like that in woodenfloored halls and it can be very echoey and noisy, even with just grown ups but I think you should also remember that the Mum is probably just as desperate to come to the club to and probably has no option but to bring the toddler. I hope you find a good solution.

Mlou32 · 29/11/2019 15:16

YANBU. I would speak to the consultant, keep it light but explain that you are hard of hearing and having problems hearing what is going on in class due to the kid.

The amount of parents, friends of mine included, who think absolutely nothing of it when their kid is running around causing chaos just baffles me. No one minds a kid playing up a bit, what bothers me is when the parent does nothing to manage the behaviour.

Treaclepie19 · 29/11/2019 15:19

I'm not sure anything will come of it. In my experience they tend to have morning groups as the time for mothers and young children.
The evening ones rarely have children there.
I say this as someone who went to slimming world this morning and there are normally 3 or so young children there. I also took my own son when he was about 1 (though I stopped once it got to the point he couldn't sit and be easily distracted.

ScreamedAtTheMichelangelo · 29/11/2019 15:21

I think you're right to say something, but be careful. I did this (tactfully!) in my group and it backfired horribly. The leader made a point of lecturing us all in the next session (and throughout the week with Facebook graphics) that SW was a safe space for mothers and that all children would be welcomed by the leader and everyone else attending. There was general "hear hear" and I suspect it was known who'd mentioned it, as a lot of people turned quite cold with me. I'm in a new group now and thankfully no toddlers but the leader has shared the same FB graphics so I dread it happening again!

HavelockVetinari · 29/11/2019 15:23

Any decent person would at least mute the child a bit.

Lol! 2 year olds are notoriously difficult to mute, I'd never take mine to an adult group.

ChristmasbloodyChristmas · 29/11/2019 15:24

This is the exact reason I stopped going to my local Slimming World (in the evening) it was becoming like a creche, drove me nuts! Kids running around everywhere and mums' oblivious to it.

EveryFlightBeginsWithAFall · 29/11/2019 15:26

Speak to the leader, we have the same thing but the leader asks the mum to take him out when he starts

JulieJones22 · 29/11/2019 15:27

This is why I have stopped going to WW. My son is 20 months old and runs round causing havoc and I can't do anything about it. He does what he wants. I was aware of how this must be frustrating for the other people there, so I tried to sit at the back with him, but he would then scream and squirm until I let him down off my knee. Easier to just not go sadly

FoamingAtTheUterus · 29/11/2019 15:29

Kids are allowed into fatfighters but they're expected to be quiet and occupied in the main.........and taken out if they get noisy I don't think the mum's being very fair.

Awwlookatmybabyspider · 29/11/2019 15:30

A lecture.Confused.
I wouldn’t say it’s bad behaviour. It’s just a 2 year old being well a 2 year old. They are noisy. He’s not going to sit bolt right with impeccable manners and consideration, is he. Therefore I think calling it bad behaviour is a tad harsh.
It is a hard one and I’m not saying I’ve got all the answers either. The consultant doesn’t want to lose you nor this mum. Slimming world is a business after all. Therefore you can’t expect her to say “Don’t bring your child”
Not everyone has able or even willing baby sitters.
I suppose the only obvious thing you can do is sit closer to the consultant

katseyes7 · 29/11/2019 15:31

l've been to several SW clubs over the years. Most were fine, but one morning one was held in a pub. A couple of women used to bring pre-school age children who would run wild during the class. On several occasions the pub landlord actually had to chase them out from behind the bar. The mothers did nothing.
Similarly, you couldn't hear what was being said - they would run round on the wooden dance floor screaming and shouting.
l gave up in the end and went to a different class. Depending on your group leader they'll either do something about it (this one didn't as the mothers were her friends) or the mothers will take umbrage if something's said.

Awwlookatmybabyspider · 29/11/2019 15:31

Any decent person would at least mute the child a bit.

How do you do that exactly, with a remote control or a zip. Hmm

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.