Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Putting Christmas tree up today?

158 replies

Bee29 · 23/11/2019 07:24

Opinions... Usually do it on the 1st but next weekend is a busy one. Don’t have time during the week... so thinking today or tomorrow.

Partner thinks I’m mad. Also his mum is popping over this weekend and I know she’ll offer her opinion like she does in everything but myself and DC have been poorly all week. So surely this is a good way to cheer us all up??

OP posts:
Jinglebulls · 23/11/2019 09:45

We are putting ours up today/tomorrow. We usually have a couple up and I can't do it all in one weekend so I stagger it. One this weekend, one next weekend and then other decs as and when I have the time and also lights on the trees outside too. Christmas is big in our house. Our trees are artificial so no needle issues

Where is even selling them yet

Went to a cash and carry near us last weekend and they had hundreds stacked up outside ready! They're definitely available.

allthegoodusernameshavegone · 23/11/2019 09:46

It’s way too early for me, it takes the magic away

MinisterforCheekyFuckery · 23/11/2019 09:48

Your house, your tree, your choice. It really doesn't matter if anyone on MN thinks it's "too early". They can do what they want in their own homes as can you.

VestaTilley · 23/11/2019 09:50

Far too early I'm afraid OP. Putting the tree up now is just a sign people are losing sight of when Christmas is, and what it is. We never decorate until around the 20th of Dec, and keep everything up until Twelfth Night. November is ludicrously early.

yasle · 23/11/2019 09:50

Whatever floats your boat op
Don't let anyone tell you what to do!

LagunaBubbles · 23/11/2019 09:54

The thing about putting it up so early is that you'll get fed up of it by the 25th of Dec and take it down on boxing day

You do realise not everyone thinks the same as you? Otherwise why are you saying people will get "fed up" with a tree if it goes up just now? Why on earth would I put it up just now if I was ever going to get fed up with it, I love it! It doesnt come down till January either, not Boxing Day.

HairyFloppins · 23/11/2019 09:55

Mine went up yesterday.

Couldn't care less if people think it's early, they don't have to look at it.

bridgetreilly · 23/11/2019 09:58

It would not cheer me up at all. It would especially not cheer me up in six weeks time when the thing was still up and making a complete mess with dropped needles. Just wait. If you can't do it next weekend, it'll be fine the week after. Or even the week after that. You could even leave it until Christmas Eve and then actually enjoy it for the whole of the Christmas season until January 6th.

NoSauce · 23/11/2019 09:59

It’s way too early for me, it takes the magic away

I agree. I have a FB friend that puts her tree up mid November because she just “can’t wait soooooo excited” but takes the bugger down before New Year because she wants the house “all clean and sparkly”.

Thurmanmurman · 23/11/2019 10:35

Dishwashersaurus. Lots of people have artificial trees. Many can't afford to buy a real tree every year, it's not unusual in the slightest. To answer you question about dropping needles we have ours in a bucket of water which gets topped up every few days and get the type that don't drop as many needles (can't remember the name of them). Never had a problem and heating is always on! I admit that it looks slightly droopy after Christmas but not terrible! For me I think that this time of the year the weather is miserable, it's dark so sparkly stuff just makes me feel happy tbh.

Bubblysqueak · 23/11/2019 10:37

I'm wondering the same, we always put it up on the first, but we're away next weekend, but it feels too early.

PrincessHoneysuckle · 23/11/2019 12:50

Do it! I've had mine up 2 weeks,I like to get my moneys worth Grin

runoutofideasnow · 23/11/2019 12:52

Far too early, spoils the magic of Christmas for me.

GlacindaTheTroll · 23/11/2019 13:04

Do it! I've had mine up 2 weeks,I like to get my moneys worth

I think the 6 weeks or so from Advent Sunday to Twelfth Night gives plenty of scope to feel you've had your money's worth!!

gwenneh · 23/11/2019 13:14

Mine's up as of this week. To be fair I am 8 months pregnant and this is when I have time and energy, so this is when it's up. We're going to decorate it next weekend.

We always leave it up through Orthodox Christmas, the first week of January.

Ohhhthepain · 23/11/2019 13:21

I hope you went for it op, it’s too early for me but my daughters room is cosy with a tree and fairy lights, she’s having a rough time and it’s really cheered her up. I don’t understand why people get so het up about it or the getting bored with it, you have other things in your house all year round but don’t get bored of them so not sure why a pretty sparkly tree with cosy lights is such an issue! Plus my tree has never needed dusting, maybe I’m a slob!

PrincessHoneysuckle · 23/11/2019 13:34

@Glacinda I take it down n y eve

NameChangeNugget · 23/11/2019 13:42

Way too early. The magic of Christmas used to be two weeks, week before and week up to new year with decorations up until Jan 6th.

Now it’s so diluted, shame really

flouncyfanny · 23/11/2019 13:45

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sophiasnail · 23/11/2019 13:56

You put it up whenever you like and don't worry about what other people think! With all this talk of Brexit and the election I think we all need our festive distractions a bit early this year!

RedElephants · 23/11/2019 13:57

When my boys were small, I used to put the Christmas tree up and all the decorations on the last day of school, before the holidays.
So when they came home after school it was all done.
More magical that way I personally think Star[santa]

Sagradafamiliar · 23/11/2019 14:05

Do it now Grin and then start a 'show us your tree' thread. I love those.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Celebelly · 23/11/2019 14:08

The only things to consider:

• Will it make you happy?
  • Does it make a blind bit of difference to anyone else?

Do what you like and enjoy it!
Dutchesss · 23/11/2019 14:13

Do it.

Celebelly · 23/11/2019 14:14

Also love the 'confusion' (read badly disguised snobbery) that someone might not have, gasp, a real tree! We've always had real trees and they go up last weekend in November/first in December, whichever is closest to Dec 1, and last fine until Christmas and beyond. This year we have an artificial tree as I don't want the carpet to be covered in pine needles from the cats batting at it as DD is just starting to crawl and everything goes in her mouth. And it's a hassle to get rid of as they don't collect them here, so we have to take it to a special dump and I'd rather not this year. But then we are the type of scum that takes it down before the 12th night Grin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.