Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Putting Christmas tree up today?

158 replies

Bee29 · 23/11/2019 07:24

Opinions... Usually do it on the 1st but next weekend is a busy one. Don’t have time during the week... so thinking today or tomorrow.

Partner thinks I’m mad. Also his mum is popping over this weekend and I know she’ll offer her opinion like she does in everything but myself and DC have been poorly all week. So surely this is a good way to cheer us all up??

OP posts:
Zaphodsotherhead · 23/11/2019 09:10

I'm a bit of a grinch with decorations. I used to wait until school broke up, and then we'd use the first day of the Christmas holidays to get a tree and decorate. The build up for Christmas is long enough as it is, and small children get hysterical with excitement - I didn't want to prolong that any more than I had to.

Now I tend to get the tree around ten days before Christmas (I have a real one and like to get my money's worth) and take it down just after New Year.

Silvercatowner · 23/11/2019 09:10

If you put it up this weekend it won't be a "Christmas tree" (because its November), it'll be a "tree". If you are happy to have a tree in your living room then fill your boots.

PineappleDanish · 23/11/2019 09:13

Surely everyone lets the kids decorate the tress, tells them it's lovely and then rearranges all the baubles once they've gone to bed?

I don't think it's competitive quick christmas tree decorating. It's just that lots of people have the tree and that's it. No decorating the entire house, changing cushion covers and the rest of it.

MissConductUS · 23/11/2019 09:13

It's Thanksgiving week here in the US. Lots of people will put their trees up this weekend to have them up for company on Thursday.

If it makes you happy and works for your schedule put it up.

tearsforsneers · 23/11/2019 09:13

YABVVVU

Sparklingbrook · 23/11/2019 09:16

Commence the competition for how quickly and how shitty your trees go up ...

And for balance the competition for how long you can spend decorating the entire house and tree while singing carols etc... Grin

CookPassBabtridge · 23/11/2019 09:18

It feels so early this year. People round here have been putting them up since mid November. I know it makes them happy but it's fucking depressing. And I LOVE Christmas!

WaterSheep · 23/11/2019 09:18

😲 how could you do that to your original tree? Poor thing.such callous behaviour!

In all fairness old tree was getting on for 10 years old, and new tree had pre-lit ends. The thought of never having to unravel another set of lights ever again was too tempting, so old tree had to be replaced.

I admit though it was very cruel to deprive old tree of one last Christmas. Grin

Sparklingbrook · 23/11/2019 09:22

I never seem to have any trouble with the lights, maybe they are made better nowadays.

NewName73 · 23/11/2019 09:22

Ridiculously early.

Unless you are a business.

SchadenfreudePersonified · 23/11/2019 09:24

Same here DrWanker

And I'm generally sick of the sight of it by the New Year.

Sparklingbrook · 23/11/2019 09:24

It's the Christmas lights switch on in our little town tonight. Seems early but the small independent shops really gain from the extra footfall and there's usually free parking so it's hard to be bah humbug about that.

userxx · 23/11/2019 09:24

It's not Christmas so really no need for a Christmas tree.

Rockbird · 23/11/2019 09:24

A few neighbours have theirs up and have had for a couple of weeks. A bit too early for me, we usually wait till second weekend in December. But next weekend DH goes away for a week and it's a first for us so I'll do the tree with the dcs to distract ourselves.

Pinkblueberry · 23/11/2019 09:25

Well it’s your tree so you should do what you like - but you are asking for opinions so, no. We get a real tree and don’t put it up until about the 10th or so. The other decs go up before. My grandma is not British and where she lives it doesn’t go up until Xmas Eve! You don’t have to have it up by the first - just do it later if there’s no time now and enjoy the December Xmas atmosphere.

cheezy · 23/11/2019 09:26

Surely it will be completely dead by Christmas?!

Sassenach85 · 23/11/2019 09:27

To be fair, yeah there is a lot of “I spent two weeks doing my tree” threads that go on but this particular thread was getting a bit snobby and I don’t think there’s any need for it.

It does take a day to do the decs for me but as others have said that includes the cleaning and the lights and the ornaments.

I love it when it’s all done and you sit down that night with ur cuppa and watch all the twinkling. Let’s enjoy what we enjoy and let others do the same.

A house near my grans street put their decs up after Halloween!!! I mean ...ok. But it does make me chuckle and it’s a nice chuckle and someone in that house is feeling happy so ....

CountFosco · 23/11/2019 09:30

Don't you know that how early you put up you tree is related to how common you are? To avoid being hoi polloi you get your butler to put your tree (carefully selected from the plantation) up on Christmas Eve and take it down on 12th night. None of this artificial tree in November business, clearly your family must be in trade!

Considermesometimes · 23/11/2019 09:31

On my school run I have seen several houses completely decked out with trees and outside lights. It always makes me smile, these people are fighting the darkness with cheer.

Our tree is going up next weekend (1st) can't wait!!!!

Pleasegodgotosleep · 23/11/2019 09:32

We're putting ours up tomorrow. Going to our village Christmas fair and light switch on tonight then putting out tree up tomorrow. Kids are 4 and 1 and eldest loves Christmas! I think you maybe get until they're 8/9 until they stop believing in Santa etc. so if we've only got 4 years to watch her little face full of wonder and excitement then why not make the most out if it?? And...it's not hurting anyone else Grin[santa]

Sparklingbrook · 23/11/2019 09:32

Lets face it putting a Christmas tree up is not a once in a lifetime event. You get to do it every. single. year. Grin

I don't think it's snobby to have an opinion on an AIBU thread about putting a Christmas tree up in November.

It matters not what randoms on the internet think, but if you don't ask you won't know...

Pinkblueberry · 23/11/2019 09:35

Surely all the needles will have fallen off by Christmas Day?? Where is even selling them yet

Why are people saying stuff like this? Like you’ve never heard of or seen an artificial tree Hmm

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

NewName73 · 23/11/2019 09:37

OP needs to tell us if it's a real tree or a fake one!

So we can judge her even more ...

WhereforeArtThouManatee · 23/11/2019 09:38

have some decorum

hilarious 😂 love the snobbiness - I do not strive for decorum in life in general, not sure why I would start caring about it for the Christmas tree!!

OP whatever makes your life happier and easier is great, you are hurting nobody by putting your tree up a week earlier than usual

LionelRitchieStoleMyNotebook · 23/11/2019 09:38

Pre DS I would've done it next weekend, this weekend is DHs birthday and anything pre December is too early for me. Next weekend is now DSs birthday, so by your logic I should've done it last weekend as I'm too busy at the time I usually put the tree up, I didn't. I'll be putting it up on the 7th/8th.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.