Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Putting Christmas tree up today?

158 replies

Bee29 · 23/11/2019 07:24

Opinions... Usually do it on the 1st but next weekend is a busy one. Don’t have time during the week... so thinking today or tomorrow.

Partner thinks I’m mad. Also his mum is popping over this weekend and I know she’ll offer her opinion like she does in everything but myself and DC have been poorly all week. So surely this is a good way to cheer us all up??

OP posts:
Danni91 · 23/11/2019 08:21

Just do it. Doesnt matter what others think.

Mine is up! It comes down 2 or 3 days after Christmas. I'll put the window decorations up this weekend.

67bird · 23/11/2019 08:22

YANBU. Mines arriving Monday, first time having a tree since getting cats 9 years ago, first Christmas in a new home, first real tree and I can’t wait to decorate it

ColleysMill · 23/11/2019 08:22

Christmas decorating always takes a good afternoon at mine. With accompanying carols and mulled wine.

We usually have a real tree though so the trimming of the trunk and getting it into the pot can vary time wise

Frouby · 23/11/2019 08:23

Ours is going up today. Mainly because we are away a week in December so won't get to enjoy it then. Plus we are going tree decoration shopping this morning to the garden centre while it's raining in the hope of it being less manic than previous years. Plus if the tree is up as I buy presents, in theory I will wrap them and put them under it.

Snuffkindle · 23/11/2019 08:23

It's a no to November here. Our rule is the first weekend in December. So it's two weeks I think. It takes us way longer than 45 mins to get it all up with all the lights and everything.

GiveMeAllTheGin8 · 23/11/2019 08:23

Do it!!! Don’t mind the grinches, it’s only ONE month until Christmas!
One month out of 12 is all we have to celebrate Christmas.
We are not doing it until next week as it’s a tradition in our house but I am just itching to put it up now

Sparklingbrook · 23/11/2019 08:26

A whole afternoon? Shock I must be doing Christmas wrong. One year I put the tree back in the loft still decorated so the next year it took no time at all. Grin

Dishwashersaurous · 23/11/2019 08:26

IT’S NOVEMBER!!!!!

Surely all the needles will have fallen off by Christmas Day?? Where is even selling them yet

FrangipaniBlue · 23/11/2019 08:27

Mine went up yesterday......

*runs for cover

IceCreamAndCandyfloss · 23/11/2019 08:27

Too early. It’s only November and Christmas Day isn’t until the 25th.

I often wonder if it takes away some of magic for children when trees are up for weeks, it just becomes part of the decor rather than a holiday celebration I feel.

troutknickers · 23/11/2019 08:28

It's not just the tree decorating though is it. You've got the rest of the house/room to decorate, blasting Christmas tunes trying to get in the festive mood. It definitely is a mini ceremony especially when you have young children and I always find it takes longer than I think it will

PrettyShiningPeople · 23/11/2019 08:29

If you want but please keep it to yourself and don’t put it on social media, I don’t want to see that in November.

Sparklingbrook · 23/11/2019 08:29

Oh no. What is this ‘rest of the house’ thing. We have a tree and that’s it.

CottonSock · 23/11/2019 08:30

No way I'm putting mine up until mid December at the earliest

Thurmanmurman · 23/11/2019 08:30

It’s your home OP do what suits you. I usually put mine up first week in December but have to wait another week this year as we are going away next weekend. I find it annoying when people try to tell people what they should or shouldn’t do in their own bloody home.

MyEnormousTurnip · 23/11/2019 08:30

Well it’s not just the tree - we put fairy lights in the hall and up the stairs, swap all the ornaments for xmas stuff, replace pictures/wall art with festive bits and bobs, put lights on the tree outside, change the tablecloth, that kind of thing. Then spend an hour vacuuming up bits of everything.

Emeraldshamrock · 23/11/2019 08:31

Why not? I am putting mine up during next week.
I put it up the 9th December last year due to lack of time and it felt to late.
I like it down all packed away on the 31st, fresh for new years day.

BluebellsareBlue · 23/11/2019 08:32

It's your home, your family, your happiness. Care not a jot what others think. If it's been a shit time and it feels like this is something that you can do as a family and enjoy then fill your jingly jangly Christmas elf shoes!!

Sparklingbrook · 23/11/2019 08:33

Blimey I really am doing Christmas wrong. Swapping pictures and ornaments, that’s a whole new Christmassy level.
Although TBF I do have a couple of festive penguins that sit on the hearth.

Dishwashersaurous · 23/11/2019 08:33

Question to all those who put it up so early. Don’t all the needles fall off over a month? Or do you just have no heating for December?

Ispy123 · 23/11/2019 08:35

Ours been up for 2 weeks. We love the run up to Xmas so much in this house.

Snipples · 23/11/2019 08:35

I'm itching to get our tree up too but waiting until next week and it's not been delivered yet (that's literally the only thing stopping me). Put it up if it makes you happy and cheers the kids up after feeling ill.

I don't understand only having the tree up for a week or two, how miserable! 🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Travis1 · 23/11/2019 08:35

We’re doing ours next Sunday and yes yes to it taking a whole afternoon. We’ve got lovely tea light holders, window lights, some outside bits etc etc

Do it op you won’t regret it.

Whoever said they get fed up of the tree up isn’t doing it right clearly. Nothing cosier than chilling out at night with the tree lights twinkling and some
Candles lit......watching Love Actually(sucks for cover from all the mumsnetters that hate the filmGrin)

WaterSheep · 23/11/2019 08:35

A whole afternoon? Shock I must be doing Christmas wrong.

Same here. Last year I managed to find a bargain of a second hand tree in the middle of December. In the space of an hour I had the old tree stripped of decorations, dismantled and the new tree up in its place. Grin

As for the OP, November is too early for me. However, if you want to put it up then go ahead.

PineappleDanish · 23/11/2019 08:36

Quite obviously all the people who have trees up already have artificial trees, @Dishwashersaurous. No judgement, we have one of those too. And this will be its 17th Christmas because it isn't hanging around in the corner of the room for 6 weeks ever November/December/beginning of January.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.