Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think there should be a minimum age limit on ear piercing

Forthepurposesofthetape · 11/04/2019 08:33

Was in a well known accessories shop yesterday and witnesses a mum getting her child's ears pierced. The child could have only have been about a year old and screamed the place down. She was so distressed. I really don't understand why it's necessary to do it at that age, it seems so unnecessarily cruel! Angry

OP's posts:
Please
or

Damntheman · 11/04/2019 13:14

I was 17 when I got the first of mine done (I have 7 total). It did me no harm to wait and I was able to make the decision knowing what I was getting myself in for. My only regret is that the first two were done with a gun. I cringe! The ones done properly with a needle are by far the nicer and cleaner holes.

I think I would not let my daughter get hers done before ten, although I'd rather she also waited til she was nearer adulthood. She's only a toddler though, so hasn't even noticed it's a thing yet.

Please
or

Angelicinnocent · 11/04/2019 13:40

DD class pretty much all had them done in the holidays between primary and secondary. DD had daith piercing done at 15 with my permission to see if it would help migraines (it did.)

Please
or

letsdolunch321 · 11/04/2019 13:45

I don't agree with a minimum age, my gd had her ears pieced approx 5/6mths.

She whimpered through the shock of it I guess but there was no fiddling with them.

I had mine done aged 9/10, I cried, only let the person pierce one and fought my mum who was holding me down whilst the second ear was pierced. It was a dreadful performance.

Please
or

Se7ven11 · 11/04/2019 13:47

In my opinion, babies should never have their ears pieced - whether for cultural or vanity reasons.

In my book it's really classed as minor surgery - by having your babies ears pierced you are taking away their liberty and right to choose to or not to have them pierced.

Please
or

leafy22 · 11/04/2019 13:56

Agreed. I'm waiting for when my little girl asks to get her ears pierced and then I will do it. She needs to be at least 5.

Please
or

PregnantSea · 11/04/2019 13:58

I think there should be an age limit but no way should it be 13! More like 3 or 4? Basically if they are old enough to ask for it or say if they don't want it. I got mine done when I turned 4 and I did whinge a bit but not much - i really wanted them done so I put a brave face on and was quiet.

No regrets, I'm not messed up. In fact I'm pretty boring, never went on to get anything else pierced but have always loved having my ears pierced.

Please
or

Pinkyyy · 11/04/2019 14:02

I'm shocked at people who call earrings 'chavvy', I can only assume they don't have theirs pierced either. My children definitely do not look chavvy, in fact my girls only wore skirts/dresses for at least the first 2 years as I don't think anything else looks nice on a little girl. But I'm quite aware that that's my personal opinion and I wouldn't call someone else's child a derogatory name because they didn't have the same opinion as I do.

Please
or

MulticolourMophead · 11/04/2019 14:03

DD in the summer between primary and secondary, after we'd talked about it and I was sure she understood.

I have multiple piercings, so I wouldn't ban her, but she had to be able to care for her own ears.

Now, she's 19 and has multiple piercings too. We went to the same place together last time, a tattooist with very good reviews, and he was the best by far.

Please
or

MooseBeTimeForSnow · 11/04/2019 14:21

I’m in Canada. Claire’s over here are in the news at the moment after a member of staff handed her notice in and posted an online letter to them m.facebook.com/notes/raylene-marks/an-open-letter-to-claires-corporate/10158352387633989/

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 11/04/2019 14:24

I genuinely don’t understand why piercing ears has become so acceptable in a way making holes in other bits hasn’t
I know I was being facetious when I mentioned nipple piercing upthread but what if I wanted to get the flap of skin between my babies thumb and finger pierced? Or his/her eyebrow? Piercing childrens and babies ears has become accepted and normalised in a way that making holes in other bits of them for purely decorative purposes hasn’t.
I know in some places (Spain) they actually do it in the maternity ward. I really don’t get it

Please
or

GaraMedouar · 11/04/2019 14:42

I definitely don’t agree with it for babies or toddlers. I was about 13 when I had mine done after badgering my mum. I only wear studs now so the holes don’t close up so no point me having them really. My DD is yr 4 and about the only girl to not have pierced ears in her class . She’s asked a while back but I just said no, when you’re 16 if you still want them done. I’d actually be happy with her getting them done between primary and secondary but her dad is adamant. Though I’m sure she’ll twist him round her little finger if she really wishes.

Please
or

Eyja · 11/04/2019 14:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

FuzzyShadowChatter · 11/04/2019 14:44

YANBU. For piercings, the child's consent should be as taken into account as the adult's and babies can't consent. It's a permanent change and, maybe because I do come from a culture where it was often discussed as a sign of "growing up" and I can remember a classmate's earring getting torn out in middle school, I don't get why it's treated so differently than other piercing that it's seen as okay on babies.

I mean, my hair was bleached and dyed when I was 4 and throughout most of school years. It was not an unusual thing and culturally this was accepted and to some, it was expected for a girl born with dark hair to be prettier. Pretty much everyone else outside of where I grew up is always horrified, but other than it possibly contributing to why my scalp is always so dry, it was far less permanent than piercings. I was talked into having my ears done when I was about 10 and stopped wearing them around 16. Now well into my thirties, I still sometimes get odd dry patches of flaky skin around where the holes were and can feel what's left in my ear, but no blonde is showing up in my hair.

Luckily, piercings don't seem to be popular where I am and all their activities are really strict on them so none of my kids have asked.

Please
or

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow · 11/04/2019 14:51

Moose that's the story I was talking about. Personally, no way did my DC have piercings till high school. Summer holiday thing. I did inwardly roll my eyes at a young woman in year 8 with a note saying no Pe for 6 weeks due to her naval piercing.

Please
or

JudasIscHarriet · 11/04/2019 14:52

Please
or

JudasIscHarriet · 11/04/2019 14:53

Please
or

Jinglejanglefish · 11/04/2019 14:57

'm shocked at people who call earrings 'chavvy', I can only assume they don't have theirs pierced either. My children definitely do not look chavvy, in fact my girls only wore skirts/dresses for at least the first 2 years as I don't think anything else looks nice on a little girl

It does look chavvy on young children though, it really does. Not sure what wearing dresses has to do with it.

Please
or

Ohyesiam · 11/04/2019 14:59

I’ve told ld this before on MN.

We were living in Brazil whenwe had our daughter. All v medicalised, no midwifes. A few hours after she was born our obstetrician came back to the ward armed with the stuff to pierce her ears with gold hoops!! We sent him away very confused.
This is standard in Brazil( well Rio anyway, don’t know about the rest of the country) for girls.
We got laughed at by Brazilian friends and colleagues and ( good naturedlyShock) told she looked like a hermaphrodite without pierced ears!!

Best friend in Brazil openly admits its a very superficial culture that really judges on looks. Very kind and lovely beneath that though.

Please
or

DaisyStarburst · 11/04/2019 15:10

I'm in UK, when DS was born another mum pierced her few hours old baby's ears with a needle on the ward. Staff were outraged but it was done before anyone saw.

Please
or

Pinkyyy · 11/04/2019 15:18

@JudasIscHarriet my little girl is a little girl and she dresses like one. It's very important in my culture so yes, I am concerned about the way she looks.

@Jinglejanglefish I was saying that I think jeans/leggings etc look chavvy on babies but I don't judge the parents who put their children in them.

Please
or

SosigDog · 11/04/2019 15:29

I’m afraid I agree that earrings on children look chavvy. That’s the only class of people who think it’s ok to modify their children’s bodies for their own selfish vanity. And imo it should be illegal.

Please
or

Ratatatouille · 11/04/2019 15:51

That’s the only class of people who think it’s ok to modify their children’s bodies

No it’s not just poor people who do this. The only child I know well whose ears were pierced as a baby is from a very well off family (I’m sure they’d meet with your approval: Barbour jackets, Dubarry boots, brand new Audi, two horses, holiday cottage in St Ives etc).

Sosigdog are you just a windup merchant? Seen you on a few threads now and you only ever seem to contribute offensive, nasty remarks.

Please
or

Dotty1970 · 11/04/2019 15:56

FuriousCheekyFucker

@ScreamScreamIceCream

The right ear of course!

I do draw the line at using a gun, that's a bit too much. A bow and arrow is far more environmentally friendly. Whilst playing the William Tell Overture on your bluetooth speaker.

Which leads me on to the question. Is 5 years old too old for my daughters first tattoo?

Jesus wept, I knew someone would be along thinking it was serious, a sense of humour is sometimes needed!

Please
or

HavelockVetinari · 11/04/2019 15:59

JudasIscHarriet is right about everything she said, @Pinkyyy

In fact, so much of what you've said is Hmm I'm inclined to think you are either a troll or being 'ironic' in some way. If it IS true I feel very, very sorry for your poor daughters.

Please
or

ScreamScreamIceCream · 11/04/2019 16:03

@Dotty1970 I knew the poster wasn't serious. MN thread structure makes it hard to get a poster to expand on their imaginative/funny replies.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.