Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think there should be a minimum age limit on ear piercing

Forthepurposesofthetape · 11/04/2019 08:33

Was in a well known accessories shop yesterday and witnesses a mum getting her child's ears pierced. The child could have only have been about a year old and screamed the place down. She was so distressed. I really don't understand why it's necessary to do it at that age, it seems so unnecessarily cruel! Angry

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sweetbabycheezits · 11/04/2019 10:12

My dd had hers done at 10...when she decided she wanted them done, and when she was able to care for them on her own. I think it's cruel to do it to babies who have no say!!

The other disturbing trend I'm seeing at secondary school is lots of 12 year old girls with nose piercings...why are their parents consenting to this?? 16 plus, fair enough, but 12! They aren't even allowed them in school, so they've got clear plastic studs, which are coated in makeup...bleargh!

Please
or

LynnTheseAreSexPeople · 11/04/2019 10:15

I'm not sure what the limit should be but babies and toddlers are definitely too young!

Please
or

Siameasy · 11/04/2019 10:18

Its so pointless on babies. I would allow it when I consider DD old enough to be responsible for the earrings and understand the process. She ‘wants’ them now (4) but no because she would be a nightmare re getting them caught etc

Please
or

olderthanyouthink · 11/04/2019 10:19

viques that's almost what I say to DP when DD has vaccines (I'm seriously needle phobic and sit at the back of the room) I know she needs them, no bloody way am I having her ears pierced.

I was badgered into it by my aunt at 10-ish (because my parents didn't do it when I was a baby) because in "our" culture (It's not that big a part of my life) everyone has them done, usual as a baby.

DD can do it when she's 11+ I think and I may not be the one taking her Envy

Please
or

Eyja · 11/04/2019 10:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

Lavellan · 11/04/2019 10:23

I would 100% take mine to a professional body piercer, the more covered in tattoos and jewellery the better. They know what they are doing. I have known people who got their nose pierced at Claire's, terrible awful idea. The gun basically explodes the cartilage causing little pieces to granulate and even grow out the hole. Blerg!!

I got mine in the summer between primary and secondary school and it was perfect time imo. I had the summer to let them settle and keep them clean, and then felt really cool going into big school with my new studs. Doing it to babies is horrible.

Please
or

JaneEyre07 · 11/04/2019 10:23

Chav branding it should be called. It shouldn't be allowed until a child is at least 8, if not 10.

I made mine wait until the summer holidays between primary and secondary. And even then it was a nightmare getting them to keep them clean.

Please
or

OpportunityKnocks · 11/04/2019 10:29

I used to work for that well known chain.
In my day, the training was fairly rigorous for what is a specific and easy type of piercing. You would need far far more training for any other type of piercing which carry much much higher risks

I used to absolutely hate piercing any child under the age of 9 as I didn't think they well informed enough to make the decision.
I especially hated piercing babies, it was awful. These parents often wanted the cheapest piercings too.
I also used to hate doing the cartilage piercings.

Come to think of it, I didn't like that bit of the job at all, but over the years pierced over 1000 ears

Please
or

Missingstreetlife · 11/04/2019 10:31

You have to be 18 to legally get tattoo.
If not able to do sport then stud earnings can be covered with plasters.

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 11/04/2019 10:32

ALL piercings should be 16+
People probably wouldn’t pierce a child’s nipples or belly button so I dont see why ears are different.
The argument “the younger the better” so they apparently don’t remember the pain is ridiculous. It’s not actually necessary to do it at all.

Please
or

FuriousCheekyFucker · 11/04/2019 10:36

@Hoppinggreen

I know I shouldn't laugh but you make a good point. I spat my coffee all over the place imagining someone taking their baby in for a nipple piercing.

Please
or

Ratatatouille · 11/04/2019 10:42

It’s fucking gross and demonstrates poor judgement in the parents. Why on earth would you unnecessarily wound your baby? Because that’s what a piercing is until it heals. A wound. A wound that can become infected or develop keloid scarring. There is also a risk that the child could easily catch the earring (yes, even a stud) and rip their earlobes. Not to mention how distressing it is for the baby while they are having it done. It’s just completely unnecessary. And it looks fucking awful. Parents like this should just get a doll to dress up instead.

I don’t give two hoots about it being a “cultural thing” either. For most people it’s not. And even for the ones it is, we don’t allow other harmful or distressing “cultural” norms like FGM, tooth carving, tattooing of children. This is the less extreme end of the same curve.

IMO, the age limit should be 10 at the very least.

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 11/04/2019 10:43

Well furious better to get their nipples pierced early so they forget the pain

Please
or

Chippychipsforme · 11/04/2019 11:38

9 or 10, I was 12 or 13 I think when I had mine done and I was one of the last ones in school.

I can't get my toddler to have his face washed most days, not sure how I'd manage to put a set of earrings in on a daily basis.

Please
or

ginghamtablecloths · 11/04/2019 12:11

I had mine done at a posh looking jewellers where they used a needle, rather than a gun, KneelJustKneel and I barely felt it - not traumatic at all. It just felt a bit tingly and sore for a few days. That is preferable to the gun method. I would recommend it.

Please
or

Dana28 · 11/04/2019 12:14

Chavtastic but otherwise meh!

Please
or

Dana28 · 11/04/2019 12:16

Let mine have them done at 14. Most girls in their class haven't had it done at that age.

Please
or

toomanycats99 · 11/04/2019 12:26

My dd primary does not allow piercings full stop in school. Because of this we waited until the summer between primary and secondary as did many of her friends.

It actually felt like 'an occasion' if you like doing it then - part of growing up.

9 months later she wants a second set done.

Please
or

differentnameforthis · 11/04/2019 12:29

I witnessed the same several years ago! What shocked me more was the lady with the baby said, afterwards "Wait until your mum sees what we have done to you, she is going to be surprised"

The girl that did it looked at the woman as if to say "what do you mean, you're not mum" but was too shocked to say anything!

Please
or

AftonGlen · 11/04/2019 12:30

I asked for my ears pierced when I was 5, sisters were 2 and 6 at the time, we all got our ears pierced at same time and were more than happy about it. That was the 80s but I have never heard any outrage about in real life since then.
There's some histrionics on here equating ear piercing to child abuse and torture ffs

Please
or

GreytExpectations · 11/04/2019 12:39

age 12 as a limit is extreme but then again so are many reactions are ear piercing on Mumsnet Hmm

age 5 would be a better limit IMO

Please
or

chillpizza · 11/04/2019 12:40

I hate that chain. My middle child has her done after much nagging and they where done at my tattooists with needles not a flinch or tear.

We where in a chain of shop as she had a voucher and was looking at earning cue toddler dd wanting hole in ears too. The lady came over trying to sell the idea to me which was never going to work but I humoured and I asked her if they still used guns she said “they are not guns they are people powered piercing devices” twats!

Please
or

fleshmarketclose · 11/04/2019 12:41

Neither of my dd's have their ears pierced. I said they could have them done in the summer holiday before they started secondary if they wanted but never did. They are 26 and 16 now so don't imagine they will bother. I had mine done aged eleven. Df used to say if you were meant to have holes in your ears you would be born with them. I took them out soon after ds1 started grabbing them as a baby and they healed up so haven't worn earrings for years.
I think dc shouldn't have earrings until they are old enough to look after them themselves tbh.

Please
or

MissPollyHadADolly19 · 11/04/2019 12:47

DD had hers just before her 6th birthday, she had been asking since she was probably around 3 when her friend at nursery had hers done. I said if you still want them by your next birthday we will, naturally she forgot and I didn't remind her then almost 3 years later she asked again and I said the same, she got them done a week before her birthday (just before the holidays).
I think it's down to the parent, although I personally wouldn't take a baby for a piercing or unless my DC asks but each to their own.

Please
or

cakeandchampagne · 11/04/2019 12:55

A minimum of 16 for any piercings- which is about the youngest age they can truly give informed consent.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.