Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think there should be a minimum age limit on ear piercing

Forthepurposesofthetape · 11/04/2019 08:33

Was in a well known accessories shop yesterday and witnesses a mum getting her child's ears pierced. The child could have only have been about a year old and screamed the place down. She was so distressed. I really don't understand why it's necessary to do it at that age, it seems so unnecessarily cruel! Angry

OP's posts:
Please
or

user1471590586 · 11/04/2019 09:41

My daughter was either 8 or 9 and it was totally her choice. She nagged me for ages to let her have them done but I wanted to be sure that she was old enough to look after then herself. For P.E. when she first had them done they were allowed to wear tape over them. Now she quite happily takes them out and puts them in at school.

Please
or

cushellekoala · 11/04/2019 09:41

My DD had them done for her 10th birthday. The age limit in the salon we went to was 10 although it was a week before her birthday. I think a child should be old enough to understand whats happening and that its going to hurt. A lot. For a period of time. I would really worry about the safety of little babies/toddlers having earrings if they pull them/catch on something or if they came out and put it in their mouth. And the actual piercing itself. I found it unbearable when my DC had their vaccinations and knew the 2nd one was coming and they were v upset but that is something that is really beneficial for them and had to override any upset and pain they felt. Ear-piercing at such a young age is for the parents benefit and IMO its mean to inflict unneccessary pain for something that has no benefit to them.

Please
or

MarieIVanArkleStinks · 11/04/2019 09:45

Those piercing 'guns' should be illegal anyway. I'm still surprised they are not being the dangerous things that they are: they're made of plastic and can't be autoclaved so are very unhygienic and unsafe. And that's aside from the fact that ramming a blunt object through flesh is never a good idea.

And they do this to one-year-olds? Even if parents are willing to do this (why?) retailers shouldn't be. It's a disgrace.

Please
or

ZeldaPrincessOfHyrule · 11/04/2019 09:46

I think it's awful and should definitely carry an age limit. A child needs to be able to understand and consent, not have accessories forced on them for the convenience/style choice of the parent. Children are not dolls.

Please
or

viques · 11/04/2019 09:47

I agree. I was in a shop once, probably the same chain. A young couple were there with their tiny baby and I heard her say to him "you'll have to hold her while it's done , I'm going outside because I don't want to hear her scream"

Buy a doll to play with next time would be my advice to anyone piercing a baby's ears.

And to fuck with cultural, fgm is "cultural" too, and circumcism.

Please
or

Lovenhugsfo · 11/04/2019 09:47

YANBU. I had mine done for my 8th Birthday and it was traumatising. I’m still traumatised now, almost 15 years later.

Please
or

MyFamilyAndOtherAnimals1 · 11/04/2019 09:48

@MonkeyToes - did you see @FuriousCheeky's follow up? Biscuit

Please
or

INeedNewShoes · 11/04/2019 09:48

A mother in our antenatal group put a video of her baby DD having her ears pierced on our WhatsApp group.

I was absolutely disgusted that she thought we would want to see a video of her baby in absolute distress. It was distressing to watch.

If it's cultural then I'm afraid our cultural differences are too great. I don't want to be friends with someone who thinks that inflicting pain on a baby who doesn't even want her ears pierced either to make her look cute or because 'everyone in her family does it' is ok and good social media fodder.

Please
or

Februaryblooms · 11/04/2019 09:49

I can't stand this, it's so cruel

Babies and toddlers are known to pull on things too, what if they ripped them out and caused serious injury to their ears Sad

Please
or

MarieIVanArkleStinks · 11/04/2019 09:49

@KneelJustKneel - definitely use a professional body piercer. They will use one sterilized needle and discard it after use. And most will have have two piercers do the two ears at the same time for children, and will happily talk through any concerns you have. Also those studs they use with guns collect all manner of gunk on the inside, no matter how often you clean them, increasing the likelihood of infection. Proper piercing jewellery is designed to prevent that.

Please
or

JacquesHammer · 11/04/2019 09:52

I think the younger the better

I assume you’re being facetious but piercers say quite the opposite.

Please
or

DragonSnaps · 11/04/2019 09:53

I think the child should be old enough to consent, as long as they know that it can be painful and sore for a while. I was around 7 when I started to ask my mum to let me get mine pierced. I don't like to see babies with ears pierced as its unnecessarily painful for them.

Please
or

TrixieFranklin · 11/04/2019 09:55

@FuriousCheekyFucker has got to be joking, or at least trying.. Hmm
It's cruel and unfair to have it done to a child unable to consent and fully understand. My parents had mine done when I was young (probably about 5/6) and I hate it, I never wear earrings and would much rather not have holes in my ears that I didn't ever want or need because someone thought it was 'cute'.

Please
or

DonnaDarko · 11/04/2019 09:55

I had my ears done when I was a baby. No psychological or physical harm done, and I can't remember the pain of it.

On the other hand, I remember the pain of getting another hole done when I was 13 (my mum was not impressed).

But I do agree there should be a limit. I wouldn't do it for my kids. I probably wouldn't buy them earrings anyway. I haven't worn any in 10 years cos I always lose them!!!

Please
or

havingtochangeusernameagain · 11/04/2019 09:55

There is no need for a young child or baby to have their ears pierced. I actually think there should be a limit of about 12 years old for this

I agree.

A 7 year old might be desperate but only because other kids are having theirs done. If there were an age limit it wouldn't happen.

I've never had mine done, my mum said I had to be 16 and by the time I got to 16 I thought no way!

Please
or

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow · 11/04/2019 09:56

I was reading a tread on Twitter where a former employee of That Chain (though it might not have been in the uk) had quit because their policy was 'if the parents consent, no matter how much the child screams or actually says no, the employee has to do it.' So we teach our kids about bodily autonomy but let some stranger pierce their ears?
(I'm agin it btw.)

Please
or

2ofstedsin24weeksistakingthep · 11/04/2019 09:59

Please avoid High street accessory shops. I had an acquaintance who worked in one and the training consisted of watching a quick video, and being talked through her first piercing. She was then 'qualified' to pierce unsupervised.

If you can avoid the gun it is much better, as blades are more accurate and cause less trauma. I have had gun and blade piercings and would only go for blades now. It may cost more, but is so worth it.

I did lots of research to find a reputable piercer which was at a tattoo studio. This included personal recommendations and online reviews. What really swung it for me were reviews saying they had been turned away as the requested piercing was not suitable for the size of the body part and another that they had not got experience of doing a particular piercing. The first reviewer got it done elsewhere with a not so good outcome.

Please
or

2ofstedsin24weeksistakingthep · 11/04/2019 10:00

Forgot to say I hate seeing young children with pierced ears.

Please
or

blackteasplease · 11/04/2019 10:00

I think at least 10, if not 13.

My dd is 10 and I would probably let her have them done if she really wanted provided I thought she would look after them (mostly) herself.

Please
or

zinrepus · 11/04/2019 10:02

In the US, because of the cultural pressures, some nurses will do it in the hospital because they've seen babies come in with infections from Claire's and the like. They don't like it but they feel it's the more responsible thing to do if the parents are dead set (as they have access to hygenic needles and the like). Angry

For me, it'll be when they're old enough to keep it clean, leave the piercings the hell alone, and are happy to get it done at a piercing parlour/tattoo shop instead of a Claire's. I think 90% of why I wanted mine done the first time was just because it was Claire's.

8 piercings and 3 tattoos later, I still cringe thinking about the piercings that were done with the gun. Those things are terrifying!

Please
or

CaptainButtock · 11/04/2019 10:03

It would be less painful for the baby to get a marker pen and write ‘common’ across their foreheads.

Same effect.

Please
or

blackteasplease · 11/04/2019 10:06

My best friend had her dd's ears pierced but I don't say anything.

I was 12 for mine I think.

Please
or

dragoning · 11/04/2019 10:08

I agree OP.

Please
or

ScreamScreamIceCream · 11/04/2019 10:11

I had mine done when I was a baby apparently with a needle. My daughter is getting hers done when she asks which from knowing my friends could be anywhere from aged 6 to 26.

Please
or

Isitweekendyet · 11/04/2019 10:12

1000% agree.

I had my ears pierced at seven after begging my mum all summer.

Whether they were wonky when I had it done I don’t know but one is half way up my earlobe and the other is right at the bottom. I’m stuck with the bastarding things now!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.