Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think there should be a minimum age limit on ear piercing

Forthepurposesofthetape · 11/04/2019 08:33

Was in a well known accessories shop yesterday and witnesses a mum getting her child's ears pierced. The child could have only have been about a year old and screamed the place down. She was so distressed. I really don't understand why it's necessary to do it at that age, it seems so unnecessarily cruel! Angry

OP's posts:
Please
or

formerbabe · 15/04/2019 09:54

Although, her reason for wanting them done wasn't primarily to be cool or to fit in..I was just explaining my reasoning as like I said, I'm in theory, not in favour of ear piercing on children.

Please
or

Hearthside · 15/04/2019 10:05

My DF would not let me and my DS get our ears pierced until we were in our teen's .At time i thought he was mean but looking back now i totally agree with him .His concern was we would do it as a fad and not look after them properly. My two DS one 10 and one nearly 13 haven't asked yet and i have not suggested it .On babies 😡 i think it is cruel it hurts and they can't consent which yes you are their parent's but they haven't asked to have it done in my eyes that is plain wrong .

Please
or

formerbabe · 15/04/2019 10:10

My parents didn't allow me to have my ears pierced as a child. Age about 10, I absolutely begged them. Looking back, I think they were ridiculous. I got them done as an adult...far too late and a faff. It would have made me really happy to have had them done when I wanted them. Vast majority of adult women in the uk have them pierced, so it's hardly a fad.

Please
or

GirlRaisedInTheSouth · 15/04/2019 10:24

It’s chavvy and cruel Sad.

Please
or

Raspberry88 · 15/04/2019 10:26

is just ingrained in us and there is no longer a need for a reason. It's like how people wear clothes in the summer in the UK. Why? Are you cold? Afraid of body parts? When did the practice begin?

Also, to come back to this as it's bothering me. It's so important to constantly question and examine traditions. Asking why is a part of that. 'It's just what we do' isn't good enough, otherwise we would never have moved on from so many practices.
The example of clothes isn't a good one. There are so many reasons why we wear clothes in the summer. The weather is often not that warm and can be changeable, skin needs protecting from sunburn, for hygiene reasons etc etc.

Please
or

formerbabe · 15/04/2019 10:27

What about children who have their ears pinned back? That is mainly for aesthetic reasons but parents consent for their children to undergo that procedure.

Please
or

SimonJT · 15/04/2019 10:34

The NHS doesn’t generally pin pack childrens ears, my ex had his done (just his left ear) as an adult and he had to go through a psychological screening to make sure he was fit to have a cosmetic procedure. Although it was clearly of no use as he had his done due to piss taking in the press.

Please
or

TrixieFranklin · 15/04/2019 10:41

Otoplasty isn't offered for children under 5, their little ears are still developing. It costs around £3k and is only available on the NHS in exceptional circumstances.

Please
or

Jasmineallenestate · 15/04/2019 10:51

Psychological assessment for ear correction Confused what a load of nonsense. My kid had ears age 6 as soon as the cartilage was hard enough. Didn't ask the NHS though obvs, wanted to avoid infection and MRSA.

Please
or

Hearthside · 15/04/2019 13:11

Formerbabe when i say fad i mean as it regret having done so young because for example all your friends were .I don't mean it as in a passing fad .

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.