Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?

lightlypoached · 24/02/2019 00:37

Saw this at Miami airport.

What do we think about locking breastfeeding women in cupboards ?

I think it's weird and a bit sad. You?

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?
OP's posts:
Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 14:21

Yeah I'm sure women would feel totally comfortable expressing milk alongside a man who is a complete stranger 🙄

Please
or

TheDarkPassenger · 24/02/2019 14:21

I would have loved this when feeding my first (bottle fed the next) I hated being out and about and would tend to do it in the car. I’m a loner and thoroughly enjoy being left the fuck alone though

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 14:21

You are missing the whole point of those pods
THEY ARE FOR WOMEN TO GET THEIR BOOBS OUT IN PEACE
Men don't need anywhere to do that!

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 14:22

Cross post mine was to MRex obvs

Please
or

DioneTheDiabolist · 24/02/2019 14:26

On the heels of National Breastfeeding Month, Miami International Airport today unveiled a comprehensive program for nursing and pumping mothers.

The pods are freestanding lactation suites to be used exclusively by breastfeeding mothers. They are not supposed to be used for bottle feeding and they are not for men Mrex.

You can read more about it here: m.marketwired.com/press-release/mia-unveils-nursing-suites-for-traveling-mothers-2155342.htm

Please
or

MRex · 24/02/2019 14:27

Nor do women @NameChange30, we have every right to feed wherever we want. Making life harder for others with babies just seems petty. I don't think you have been in any parent and child rooms recently, but personally I think it's good when I see fathers changing nappies and calming a baby, because it shouldn't only be mum who's responsible for childcare. The breastfeeding seats are perfectly private while there is still space for everybody else caring for their young child.

Please
or

maddiemookins16mum · 24/02/2019 14:31

I remember trying to feed DD at an airport, noisy, tannoys blaring, beeping buggies taking people to gates etc. She was overtired and over stimulated and wouldn’t settle/feed. This pod would have been great so do piss off with your locking bf mums in a cupboard, it’s nowt of the sort. Plus, just because you might have no problem bf in public (and quite rightly too), guess what...NEWSFLASH....not everyone does.

Please
or

flumpybear · 24/02/2019 14:39

@MRex - you're missing the point - there are mixed baby rooms apparently where dad's can go and feed babies and change etc ... the pods seem to be aimed at perhaps those mums who want privacy, not to sit opposite John bloggs bottle feeding his child when you're trying unsuccessfully to get a baby to latch on or need some privacy to get the baby in position/ not everyone is a master at double vests and maternity bras - I was always showing more breast and nipple than wanted hence choosing darkened corners with multiple blankets and Muslims to cover my modesty

It would be awful if somebody ff a baby was taking valuable modesty giving space up when they could easily go to the mixed feeding rooms

Please
or

MRex · 24/02/2019 14:41

Oh ok, if there's mixed rooms as well then these are a great addition @flumpybear.

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 14:41

@MRex
"personally I think it's good when I see fathers changing nappies and calming a baby, because it shouldn't only be mum who's responsible for childcare."
No shit Sherlock!
You manage to be patronising as well as ignorant Grin
These pods are not a replacement for "parent and child" rooms or changing facilities. The airports already provide those.

Please
or

Mummyoflittledragon · 24/02/2019 14:41

MRex
The whole point about the breastfeeding pods is they shouldn’t stink of shitty nappies and are a safe space for lactating women. As has been pointed out numerous times is that American women go back to work early and need a private place to express. And also explained is that some women need privacy to breastfeed for a variety of reasons.

Why the fuck should lactating women pumping away be subjected to sharing a space with the menz changing their toddlers shitty nappy? None of that seems to concern you, which leads me to believe you’ve never Breastfed or expressed. Are you a man because you seem awfully concerned with telling 51% of the population what is best for them? Hmm

Perhaps you’d like to read the mansplaining thread.

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 14:44

Yeah I thought of mansplaining too! It seems men don't even have to mansplain any more since there are handmaidens willing to do it for them Grin

Please
or

MRex · 24/02/2019 14:48

I'm breastfeeding my baby right now actually. Are you usually this aggressive @NameChange30?

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 14:51

Tell you what MRex, I'll send my DH to change our toddler's shitty nappy right next to you.
When you've finished breastfeeding maybe you could get the other boob out too and express while you're at it?
I'm sure DH wouldn't bother you at all.

Please
or

Mummyoflittledragon · 24/02/2019 14:53

NameChange Grin
I would have agreed but for MRex’s post of 14.41.

Please
or

MRex · 24/02/2019 14:55

Parent rooms have that exact situation all the time, that's why they have extractor fans and regular cleaner visits. A toddler's shitty nappy is no less smelly when a mum changes it. Obviously you're very keen to have an argument, but dads changing nappies is possibly not the hill to die on?

Please
or

AlexaAmbidextra · 24/02/2019 14:57

It does have a lock on it.

lightlypoached. Yes, but presumably the lock is on the inside? Therefore, no locking in going on. Hmm

Please
or

IWonderedLonelyAsACloud · 24/02/2019 14:59

I would have loved something like this when I was feeding. I hated feeding in public, not because anyone ever made me feel bad - they didnt. I never had a single negative comment or look. I just liked to be left alone. Dd2 usually crapped at the same time as being fed, almost everyone was a pooplosian. Being able to deal with that privately would have been brilliant.

Please
or

Gronky · 24/02/2019 15:13

The lock appears to be on the inside. Perhaps it's time for a trip to the opticians.

Please
or

PCohle · 24/02/2019 15:13

But the pod only fits one adult at a time looking at it? And you lock the door behind you?

Not sure why a man briefly using it to feed a baby would be a problem. Nor am I sure why only a man would possibly change a shitty nappy in it.

Please
or

Aridane · 24/02/2019 15:15

It claims you can fit 4 in - though more realistically, woman & babe at breast, squirmy toddler and luggage

Please
or

Aridane · 24/02/2019 15:15

Plus it has power point for charging your breast pump and USB port for Charing your phone

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 15:27

"Not sure why a man briefly using it to feed a baby would be a problem. Nor am I sure why only a man would possibly change a shitty nappy in it."

It would be a problem if a woman couldn't use it to breastfeed/express (the intended purpose) because it was occupied by a man bottle feeding or changing his baby, when there are already other facilities allowing him to do so.

It's the same old story, isn't it? Some people think that women have no right whatsoever to their own protected spaces. Not even for breastfeeding our babies.

Please
or

PCohle · 24/02/2019 15:34

Making life easier for parents of all genders whilst still respecting women's safety and privacy is not the feminist hill I want to die on.

As others have said you seem very keen to pick a fight about this, so I'll leave you to it.

Please
or

DorothyZbornak · 24/02/2019 15:37

Have read through the thread and closely the photo, but I must have missed the bit where these women are being 'locked in' Hmm

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.