Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?

lightlypoached · 24/02/2019 00:37

Saw this at Miami airport.

What do we think about locking breastfeeding women in cupboards ?

I think it's weird and a bit sad. You?

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?
OP's posts:
Please
or

LazyLizzy · 24/02/2019 10:24

Goady title

We have a Nursing Mothers room in work. It is there if you want privacy. It is a choice.

Or you are quite welcome to breastfeed in the canteen, reception, office.

It is about giving women choices.

Please
or

JenMumma · 24/02/2019 10:35

I actually welcome if not applaud them ! Totally optional and I find them thoughtful rather than dictating 🤷🏼‍♀️

Please
or

27dresses · 24/02/2019 10:41

I guess it's worth it if it gets you away from all the noise of an airport.

Please
or

3out · 24/02/2019 10:53

‘What about an accompanying sign saying something like “Mothers are welcome to breastfeed throughout xxxx, those requiring more privacy may use this cabin, should they wish to do so”?’

That’s pretty much what the pods at JFK say on the outside.

Please
or

McNeat · 24/02/2019 10:57

I'm a boob flopper and will happily feed anywhere but I'm really pleased there's spaces where women can BF without the hassle if that's their choice

Please
or

Wanderlusting99 · 24/02/2019 12:14

These tend to have plugs. As an exclusively expressing mother this would have been a godsend to me as whatever about breastfeeding in public I had no desire to express in public, and I used an electric pump whenever possible. Going on days out was awful for a long time as you had to plan where you'd be every 3 hours and travel was impossible.

Please
or

bobstersmum · 24/02/2019 12:46

3out I assume that means they are only to be used for that and not for anyone not doing anything bf related. Not that bf is only permitted in them and nowhere else.

Please
or

tealandteal · 24/02/2019 12:56

I don't get the problem, I would have been happy to feed tiny DS in public or older DS when he would feed until full. There was a stage when it was a nightmare to feed him in public as everything was so distracting, or I might be trying to feed him to sleep and would love this.

Please
or

PCohle · 24/02/2019 13:14

I think these are a really good thing.

Totally optional, use them only if you want, but they can make BF'ing easier for mothers who for whatever reason prefer a bit of privacy.

Please
or

3out · 24/02/2019 13:24

Yeah, exactly @bobstersmum :)

Please
or

Waveysnail · 24/02/2019 13:34

I always used Mothercare bf rooms when feeding when out as I had two other hyperactive children that I needed to keep control and contained so this kind pod would have been amazing.

Please
or

MRex · 24/02/2019 13:48

They look great. I'll feed anywhere, but sometimes a quiet space is useful when I need to get him to sleep if he's excitable. Particularly useful for anybody expressing milk too, which is somehow less socially acceptable. I imagine any parent can use them including formula feeding though, if somebody's barging in asking to see where the milk's coming from then that's a different issue. My only gripe would be labelling them "parent and child" because dads might need to use them too.

Please
or

Aridane · 24/02/2019 13:54

Surely a whole room with some private cubicles would be better

The idea is that the 8 lactation rooms are on each of the concourses at MIA, not huddled together in the one place

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 13:59

"My only gripe would be labelling them "parent and child" because dads might need to use them too."

That would defeat the whole object. They are for women who want privacy to breastfeed or express milk. Men can't do either of those things!

Please
or

DioneTheDiabolist · 24/02/2019 14:00

My only gripe would be labelling them "parent and child" because dads might need to use them too.
Nope, dad's don't need to use them because dad's don't breastfeed or express breast milk.

Please
or

MRex · 24/02/2019 14:04

Some dads will need to feed a fractious baby and try to get it to sleep. The point of the space should be the baby IMO. It doesn't say expressing mothers, but perhaps it should.

Please
or

LaMarschallin · 24/02/2019 14:08

I would have loved something like this when I was breastfeeding. I found it very hard to let down unless I was completely relaxed and - being a boring prude - just wasn't comfortable with public feeding. I envied those who were.
My children would have been a lot better fed when we were travelling/seen fewer toilet cubicles/had fewer bottles (which they weren't keen on, so back to the better fed thing) if these had been available.
As long as you don't have to use these when feeding (other people may find it equally hard to let down if feeling confined) they seem great.

Please
or

Luckyduck88 · 24/02/2019 14:11

Goady title for a nice quiet space to feed. A space you can opt in or out of using. My easily distracted baby would benefit from these in public places

Please
or

LaMarschallin · 24/02/2019 14:12

Just read your post, MRex. I hadn't realised they were just for any baby related activity with mothers or fathers.
That would have been back to square one for any breastfeeding activity in my case. See - boring prude, me.

Please
or

DioneTheDiabolist · 24/02/2019 14:12

The point of the space is breastfed babies specifically. If any other group want pods, they need to fundraise and campaign for them.

Please
or

ChakiraChakra · 24/02/2019 14:12

I Moran I'd love access to a pod to escape the hustle and bustle of a busy airport. I don't have a baby, do you think if I carry a doll anybody would notice? Wink

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 14:18

Grin
Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 14:19

But what about the meeeen
Grin

Please
or

MRex · 24/02/2019 14:20

@DioneTheDiabolist - well I breastfeed, but I'm also aware that breastfeeding mums are not the only people looking after gluing babies. Parents all get along perfectly well in existing parent & child rooms, there's no need to exclude anybody who's looking after a young child.

Please
or

MRex · 24/02/2019 14:20

*tiny not gluing, though my clingy one could have been mistaken for being glued on sometimes

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.