Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?

lightlypoached · 24/02/2019 00:37

Saw this at Miami airport.

What do we think about locking breastfeeding women in cupboards ?

I think it's weird and a bit sad. You?

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?
OP's posts:
Please
or

NottonightJosepheen · 24/02/2019 16:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Confusedbeetle · 24/02/2019 16:59

Of course women should be able to go to a quiet private place if they want to. Choice, Not locked in

Please
or

DioneTheDiabolist · 24/02/2019 17:04

Exactly why I originally said it should be for parents, because I'd want to bring in my DH.
No, what you said was:
I imagine any parent can use them including formula feeding though, if somebody's barging in asking to see where the milk's coming from then that's a different issue. My only gripe would be labelling them "parent and child" because dads might need to use them too.

Dad's don't need to use them. Lactating women need to use them. If a Lactating woman also needs a companion she can do that. But dad's don't need to use them.

Please
or

DioneTheDiabolist · 24/02/2019 17:06

You also said Some dads will need to feed a fractious baby and try to get it to sleep. The point of the space should be the baby IMO. It doesn't say expressing mothers, but perhaps it should. Totally missing the point of the pods. Nothing about the lactating woman needing assistance.

Please
or

Yabbers · 24/02/2019 17:29

@bringmethehorizonx

Then don't look.

Please
or

MRex · 24/02/2019 17:34

Wow, explaining what I mean, I hope you don't speak with people like this in real life @DioneTheDiabolist. I didn't write a full essay response to capture all possible angles in one post because I was feeding my baby, I followed up more details later. I'm out of this now, having randoms bitch at me on the internet isn't my idea of a good time.

Please
or

Nala8 · 24/02/2019 17:38

I think it's great we have the option. When I was trying to establish breastfeeding I didn't want to do it in public so this would have been great for me

Please
or

lljkk · 24/02/2019 17:39

I perceive a lot of women stopped brfding due to fear of immodesty. A locked cell isn't really enough to keep them going, tbh. Maybe a few extra days or weeks in some cases.

Please
or

pigsDOfly · 24/02/2019 17:45

Just a few private spaces where women can breastfeed their babies, or express their milk in peace. Surely not a lot to ask?

Oh, silly me, of course it's too much to ask because what happens if men want to use them too?

Sometimes I despair.

Please
or

StinkyCandle · 24/02/2019 18:24

Imagine breast feeding was done by men.

you do know that women are just in charge of design as men, and it's not "them" vs "us". There's no reason why women couldn't have Carlsberg-breastfeeding rooms if they really wanted them.

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 18:37

"you do know that women are just in charge of design as men, and it's not "them" vs "us". There's no reason why women couldn't have Carlsberg-breastfeeding rooms if they really wanted them."

It seems the continuing gender inequality in business and politics has passed some people by!

I'd love to live in the fantasy land where women get an equal say in these decisions Grin

Please
or

Ohnonotuagain · 24/02/2019 18:41

They have those all over America airports.

I breastfed my child and couldn't give a rats arse who saw after it was established but I would have loved one of those in the earlier days or evdn when my DS started getting so easily distracted so as long as women aren't being forced to use them (which I highly doubt) I think they're a great idea.

Please
or

lightlypoached · 24/02/2019 20:22

Helllo everyone.
I was flying for several hours (my original post was from the airport ) that's why I haven't responded until now. Am now back home with jet lag, red wine and chocolate

I think my discomfort came from the perception that breastfeeding in public is bad and that's why these pods existed. I understand now that a lot of people see it as a positive facility, so that's good, and an education for me - thanks for the enlightenment.

And btw I wasn't 'offended' or 'determined to be offended' just reacting to something that to me seemed to alienate women from the world when I think that breastfeeding is just lovely.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MarthasGinYard · 24/02/2019 20:50

Ah thanks for letting us know Op

We thought you may somehow have gotten yourself locked in said 'cupboard'

Please
or

CocoDeMoll · 24/02/2019 21:12

I know where you’re coming from Op and it’s a sad reality that breastfeeding should somehow be seen as something that needs to be done ‘modestly’. Because of these attitudes though many women want to feed privately and that should be respected and honoured as it is in this case. i would definitely take advantage of a quiet space in an airport to feed and relax despite not caring about feeding in public. For pumping women it’s a godsend.

Also the women of more modest cultures arguement is a bit of a straw man because in many cultures, a breast out feeding an infant wouldn’t cause half the stir a knee or uncovered hair would because these countries realise what breasts are for.

It seems the continuing gender inequality in business and politics has passed some people by!

I'd love to live in the fantasy land where women get an equal say in these decisions

And equal pay too Grin

Please
or

DioneTheDiabolist · 24/02/2019 22:17

"Nursing moms are free to feed or pump anywhere at MIA, but these suites now give them an option that is private and peaceful,"
From the link upthread.

Please
or

PineapplePower · 25/02/2019 10:59

Also the women of more modest cultures arguement is a bit of a straw man because in many cultures, a breast out feeding an infant wouldn’t cause half the stir a knee or uncovered hair

That reminds me of a photo I saw in, I think Ina May Gaskin’s book on breastfeeding. It was a Middle Eastern woman in the full black veil and everything, with a boob pulled out. It was quite shocking to my eyes, and, whilst I am in the MENA often, I’ve never seen this. It was a black & white photo so pretty old, so perhaps this is no longer the case.

This doesn’t add anything to the convo, but I thought it interesting nonetheless.

Please
or

outpinked · 25/02/2019 11:02

It’s an option for Mother’s who don’t feel comfortable feeding in public. I really can’t see the issue. I wore a nice dress out yesterday for my birthday without considering BFing so had to pop to the car to feed DS because I didn’t fancy lifting my entire dress up for everyone to see! A changing room with a seat that wasn’t the toilet would have been nice on that occasion.

Please
or

NutElla5x · 25/02/2019 11:06

I think it's great for those amongst us who are a bit more private about breastfeeding,but I'd prefer a room rather than something so.....well cupboard like.

Please
or

Vampyress · 25/02/2019 11:13

I loved breast feeding but due to large flat nipples latching was a nightmare and would require so much boo gymnastics that there was no way to even attempt it discreetly and I wouldn't feel comfortable with a whole breast on display. This seems much more favourable to having to express just to nip out for bread and milk :)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.