Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?

lightlypoached · 24/02/2019 00:37

Saw this at Miami airport.

What do we think about locking breastfeeding women in cupboards ?

I think it's weird and a bit sad. You?

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?
OP's posts:
Please
or

Purplepricklesalloverhisback · 24/02/2019 01:41

I think they are great. A mum might be travelling for work and needing to express rather than than breastfeed. This gives her the opportunity to do so privately before boarding her plane. The alternative would be the airplane toilet which I would not be happy with!

Please
or

Bluerussian · 24/02/2019 02:01

I'd be scared not to be able to get out!

Please
or

lightlypoached · 24/02/2019 02:05

It does have a lock on it. And yes an inflammatory title. I was just rather surprised by it.

Agree that it could be useful for some folks (like the poster with the nipple issue). I guess I was feeling a bit defensive of women and don't want them to feel they have to lock themselves away to feed their babies, but point taken re some people liking the idea.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TruculentandFarty · 24/02/2019 02:08

Florida law means you can BF anywhere public or private. This is if the mother ::wants:: a place. I would have loved one of these, at certain ages my kids were easily distracted by something and having a space like this in a busy airport (and MIA is not a great airport) would have been great.

Please
or

Bambamber · 24/02/2019 02:08

Well they aren't locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard though are they. They are giving breastfeeding women the option to have a private space to breastfeed in if they choose to use it.

I would absolutely use it. My daughter is almost 2. She likes to unlatch so she can smile and wave at every single person walking past. When she was younger I was happy to feed wherever, whenever. But these days my nipples spend more time hanging out getting fresh air than in her mouth

Please
or

MrsTerryPratcett · 24/02/2019 02:08

You know what would would be nice? This pod thingy for people with distractable babies or who want simple privacy, and then a load of comfy seats around it, and maybe a fenced area with toys for people with toddlers as well, and a hammock for me and a water dispenser, chargers, a station with wipes, cake and pillows. Spare shields, bottles for formula feeders. And someone going around saying, "do you need anything?"

Please
or

Lostwithoutdirections · 24/02/2019 02:25

You know it’s a voluntary box, right? I like the idea of the box! Away from busy people and cafes etc. Sometimes it’s a major faff to ebf in public, so some peace (away from the toilets and stinky nappy bins sounds great)

Please
or

Glitterbaby17 · 24/02/2019 02:30

As someone who is still breastfeeding having gone back to work and sometimes has to travel for a day or overnight I’d love this. It’s so hard to find somewhere to express 🙈

Please
or

StoppinBy · 24/02/2019 02:37

If it's only an option, not the expected then I think it's great, some women would rather not feed in public.

Personally I don't really care where we are but know people who find it really tough.

Please
or

FenellaMaxwell · 24/02/2019 02:48

I think this is a great idea - airports can be chaotic, loud, crowded. It’s a voluntary quiet space for those who wish to use it, not a lactation prison cell. Presumably the lock is on the inside.... Hmm

Please
or

SD1978 · 24/02/2019 03:43

I see nothing wrong with this. Multiple easy to get to areas near the gate, instead of trying to find a parent room. Everyone who wants to do it publically still can- you're not being forced in here- but not all women are comfortable to feed in public, and shouldn't be forced to- same as those who are shouldn't be forced to do so privately if they don't wish to. It's increasing options, not limiting then.

Please
or

HappyDinosaur · 24/02/2019 04:50

I think it's a great idea. I've no problem with others breastfeeding wherever they want, but to have a quiet space to myself and baby would have been great. Well done whoever came up with the idea, very thoughtful!

Please
or

Oysterbabe · 24/02/2019 04:57

Try making breastfeeding more acceptable in public and see whether breastfeeding pods are necessary.

It is acceptable though isn't it? I've fed my 14 month old everywhere and I'm yet to encounter a single person who gives a shit. Bar the occasional oddball, everyone knows that breastfeeding in public is fine.

Please
or

Stargazer888 · 24/02/2019 05:08

Where is breast feeding not accepted? All my friends breastfed and not one of them was shamed for it in public. By comparison myself and my fellow adoptive moms, and a couple family members who couldn't breast feed all have horror stories of people shaming us for bottle feeding.

Please
or

HappyPunky · 24/02/2019 05:12

Depends what it's like inside. Nice comfy chairs with a water cooler within easy reach and nice lighting it might be perfect because obviously people aren't going to go in there who aren't breast feeding but if it's just a stark room to hide women away in its unacceptable.

I fed DD out and about sometimes with a cover if she was fussy and moody and sometimes not. I used a couple of feeding rooms to get away to somewhere quiet sometimes and would use one of these pods if it's inviting but women shouldn't be pushed into using them.

Please
or

sashh · 24/02/2019 05:17

Safe, quiet enclosed area to breastfeed in?
What's unsfe about a cafe, restaurant or waiting room?

In an airport? Places thieves frequent because they know people will have cash and passports on them. Thieves who take advantage of any opportunity.

Also airports can be crowded, you might not get to sit down, do you want to feed your baby sitting on the floor?

Years ago the hospital I worked at used a clinical room for a breastfeeding and baby change space. It had one of those wing backed chairs that are really comfy and also good for your back.

There was also a changing table.

Decoration was carefully chosen by the nurse who came up with the idea.

It was done to make feeding more comfortable for anyone who wanted to use it, it wasn't compulsory, if your name was called for clinic someone would knock on the door to let you know.

Please
or

my2bundles · 24/02/2019 05:38

It's not stopping anyone from feeding in public,it's providing a quiet space for people who prefer to feed that way. Giving people options is not a bad thing.

Please
or

RogueV · 24/02/2019 05:45

🙄 at your title

They look great. (Latch issues here also)

Please
or

flumpybear · 24/02/2019 05:59

@lightlypoached why on earth are you surprised by it? Not every mum wants to bf in front of people, I couldn't think of anything worse than bf around people, to the point where I'd rather ff - so I think, fit some women this is a good thing - you don't want to use it? Then don't, some others would love privacy

Please
or

PhoenixBuchanan · 24/02/2019 06:01

This would be brilliant for pumping. It can be a stressful nightmare finding appropriate places to pump when away from home.

Please
or

FrowningFlamingo · 24/02/2019 06:06

I think it's a nice idea that it's there but I worry that it's presence implies to some, rightly or wrongly, that it's therefore not ok to feed outside of it.
I think it might make people who think women should cover up etc feel legitimised and might make some nursing mothers feel they have to use it rather than can use it.
I agree with @StarlightLady suggestion if a sign making it clear women are welcome to feed elsewhere too.

Please
or
Please
or

LikeDolphinsCanSwim · 24/02/2019 06:21

It does have a lock on it.

To be operated from the inside, no?

Are you seriously expecting us to believe that women are being locked in this thing from the outside? Because that is what your posts are trying to imply.

Please
or

my2bundles · 24/02/2019 06:24

Frowning flamingo. Woman already know they have tbe right to BF anywhere, they don't need a sign to tell them this. It's a feeding room, not unlike the feeding rooms provided in many shopping g centres etc in tne UK 20 years ago with my first the presence of these rooms didn't stop people feeding in public, but back then tbe world wasn't full of snow flakes getting offended by everything.

Please
or

bringmethehorizonx · 24/02/2019 06:28

Because people who are eating or having a drink in a cafe or public area do not want to see woman flopping their boob out to feed. Yes it's natural and yes, it is normal but that's not something EVERYONE wants to see.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.