Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?

lightlypoached · 24/02/2019 00:37

Saw this at Miami airport.

What do we think about locking breastfeeding women in cupboards ?

I think it's weird and a bit sad. You?

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?
OP's posts:
Please
or

DioneTheDiabolist · 24/02/2019 15:40

These are Lactation Suites for the exclusive use of breastfeeding mothers.
They are a brilliant idea and should be welcomed by everyone.

This thread has All The Stupid, from They're locking breastfeeding women in cupboardsShock to But what about the men!Hmm The baby Jesus is weeping on his bike.

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 15:43

I'm not planning to die on any hills.
But breastfeeding is one of the few subjects about which you really CAN'T whine "what about the men".
Men. Do. Not. Breastfeed.

Please
or

PCohle · 24/02/2019 15:50

Men do parent though. And I think excluding men from parenting spaces perpetuates a stereotype that changing nappies or feeding babies is women's work.

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 15:51

I give up. You can't reason with stupid.

Please
or

DioneTheDiabolist · 24/02/2019 15:53

Men parent. They don't breastfeed. So they don't need to be in Lactation suites. Breastfeeding is women's work, that's not stereotyping, it's biological reality.

Please
or

NottonightJosepheen · 24/02/2019 15:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

MRex · 24/02/2019 15:55

We all parent differently. For us, I breastfeed but I will often have DH do DS's nappy while I get myself sorted (doing up tops, having water etc). He's useful because I have tendon issues in my wrists and hands, so it's much easier if he lifts DS for me when I've been using my hands a lot. (Going out and about that's always the case.) Under the rules, I wouldn't be able to use the cubicle set aside for breastfeeding to breastfeed because then DH can't help me. It's fine, we would use the parents room, or the cafe + toilet changing facilities, or I'd put up with the extra pain... DS will get fed and changed when needed one way or another. I'm just explaining it because it's clear from the rude responses that some people haven't thought through that other families may have different needs from their own.

Please
or

my2bundles · 24/02/2019 15:55

Poole it dies no such thing. It is designed for BF mothers to pump and bf specifically. Men can easily use the other changing and family rooms available at two airport jesus wept.

Please
or

DioneTheDiabolist · 24/02/2019 15:58

MRex, you clearly know nothing about the breastfeeding pods. I suggest you read the link upthread before you embarrass yourself further.

Please
or

ethelfleda · 24/02/2019 15:59

Poor men. They don’t get anything like this, do they?

Please
or

PCohle · 24/02/2019 16:02

Yes of course it's primarily for breastfeeding and that's a good thing. But for any number of reasons (and I think MRex gives a great example), I wouldn't be horrified if a man wanted to pop in. I think making it an exclusively "woman's only space" is unnecessary and unhelpful, especially given it is essentially private.

Calling people who disagree with your perspective "stupid" and "embarrassing themselves" seems unnecessarily rude.

Please
or

my2bundles · 24/02/2019 16:06

So P. Men can use the other changing and family facilities freely but instead use the the one space that a single person can use to pump or breastfeed in doing so taking away the purpose of its use for someone who actually NEEDs to use it?

Please
or

MRex · 24/02/2019 16:07

@DioneTheDiabolist - Explaining my perspective as a currently breastfeeding mother who would otherwise be expected to be pleased about the pods doesn't embarrass me, what a very odd comment.

Please
or

NottonightJosepheen · 24/02/2019 16:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

DioneTheDiabolist · 24/02/2019 16:12

What should Barrasford you is the fact that you are banging on about something you clearly know nothing about. The lactation pods are not for men. They are for breastfeeding women. If the breastfeeding woman wants to bring a companion in, like you would with your husband, that is OK.

Please
or

Livelovebehappy · 24/02/2019 16:13

Absolutely fine. Some women are comfortable breastfeeding in public, some aren’t. This gives women a choice. Not all of us are happy breastfeeding publicly, but obviously there should be freedom of choice.

Please
or

PCohle · 24/02/2019 16:13

They can and they do. They have these pods for themselves right now.

I and other posters were merely sharing our thoughts on that. I for one wasn't planning on sending a strongly worded letter to Miami airport demanding access for men.

How do you know that Dionne? The front says they are for nursing mothers...

Please
or

DioneTheDiabolist · 24/02/2019 16:19

MIA Unveils Nursing Suites for Traveling Mothers

MIAmamas Program Is One of the Largest in the U.S. for Nursing Moms

MIAMI, FL--(Marketwired - September 02, 2016) - On the heels of National Breastfeeding Month, Miami International Airport today unveiled a comprehensive program for nursing and pumping mothers. The MIA program includes eight custom-branded MIAmamas (pronounced "mia mamas") nursing suites located on each of MIA's concourses, with two in Concourse D and one in the Concourse E Satellite facility. Passengers can locate the new suites via MIA's free mobile app, MIA Airport Official.

"Nursing moms are free to feed or pump anywhere at MIA, but these suites now give them an option that is private and peaceful," said Miami-Dade Aviation Director Emilio T. González. "We've made it our goal to provide our passengers with the latest, most customer-friendly services available, and the MIAmamas nursing suites are the latest way that we are accomplishing that goal."

Manufactured by Vermont-based Mamava, the MIAmamas suites are self-contained, mobile units with two comfortable benches, a fold-down table, an electrical outlet for plugging in a breast pump, and a door that can be locked for privacy. The 4-foot-by-8-foot suites are meant for individual use, but can fit mothers with luggage, other children or a travel companion. Interior surfaces of the lactation suites are made of food-service-grade Fiberglass and Corian®.

After a press conference by MIA and Mamava officials to announce the program, event attendees were able to view the interior of a nursing suite. MIA has also launched an airport-wide employee awareness campaign for the MIAmamas program.

"MIA has become a role model for other airports with this comprehensive initiative, and we couldn't be happier to celebrate with them," said Mamava Co-founder and CEO Sascha Mayer. This program speaks volumes of their commitment to support their nursing travelers and customers, ensuring that moms anywhere in the airport have a dignified space in which to pump or nurse. I couldn't think of a better way to wrap up National Breastfeeding Month!"

To learn more about the MIAmamas program, visit www.miami-airport.com/nursing.asp.

About Mamava

Co-founded by Christine Dodson and Sascha Mayer, Mamava is a business dedicated to transforming the culture of breastfeeding. Its first product is a freestanding lactation suite. It provides privacy, cleanliness, and all you need to use a breast pump or nurse an infant  --  while simultaneously reminding passersby that breastfeeding should be supported and celebrated by all because of the good it does for babies, women, families and society in general.

Please
or

PCohle · 24/02/2019 16:22

Thanks for sharing - I'm glad the menz are indeed allowed to use them under some circumstances.

Please
or

DioneTheDiabolist · 24/02/2019 16:22

^^That's how I know. You, MRex and the OP are just spouting uninformed nonsense.

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 16:23

That text has already been shared on this thread several times

But people obviously don't bother reading, since they keep making the same "points" that have been argued already

Please
or

Mmmhmmm · 24/02/2019 16:24

I'd totally use that to bottle feed my daughter cuz she gets too distracted in public to eat.

Please
or

PCohle · 24/02/2019 16:31

Jesus sorry, it's a pretty lengthy text, clearly I missed the one relevant piece of info. I asked Dione where she had found her information, she kindly directed me to it.

Bottle feeding mothers aren't actually permitted to use the pod either MmmHmm, according to the info below. It's only for "nursing and pumping mothers". I doubt somehow people will get so het up about a women using it for other than its strictly intended purpose.

Please
or

MRex · 24/02/2019 16:36

Exactly why I originally said it should be for parents, because I'd want to bring in my DH. Then @Namechange30 decided to start arguing "Yeah I'm sure women would feel totally comfortable expressing milk alongside a man who is a complete stranger 🙄" and followed up griping about nappy changing.

You can't keep talking about being offended by finding a man in the room if male travelling companions are allowed, the same issue exists. By the same note, if somebody genuinely gets annoyed at the thought of a person bottle feeding a baby in the pod that would be monstrous. They wouldn't make the effort to find a quiet space if they didn't need one. Most people with young babies in real life recognise it's hard and try to get along, even help each other and be friendly.

Please
or

Fowles94 · 24/02/2019 16:49

Some people like to breastfeed in peace, it's a choice. I've had to use the one in Florida international to bottle feed my baby as she was too unsettled with everyone around. Not everything has to be an issue.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.