Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?

lightlypoached · 24/02/2019 00:37

Saw this at Miami airport.

What do we think about locking breastfeeding women in cupboards ?

I think it's weird and a bit sad. You?

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?
OP's posts:
Please
or

WhiteDust · 24/02/2019 08:58

It's optional OP. No breastfeeding mother is being 'locked in' anywhere.

Please
or

MandalaYogaTapestry · 24/02/2019 08:58

Well I am not ashamed of my body, my boobs are not of a weird shape, my babies were not particularly wriggly but I still would prefer to BF in such a pod than in public, being in an airport. This has nothing to do about being body-conscious or not feeling supported to BF in public, and I wish people would stop using this argument. I am not Muslim so there is no cultural reason. I just wanted privacy and not to expose myself in public, even if for doing something as natural as BF, and there is nothing wrong with wanting this privacy.

It does bring parallels with the notion that women should be fine with mixed-sex areas as long as safety is ensured, whereas this is far from being the only reason of not wanting to share spaces with men. But the privacy element is dismissed to often and it should stand, always, as valid.

Please
or

PhilomenaButterfly · 24/02/2019 08:59

I fed mine at the table. I only had problems twice. Once from café staff asking me to move before the law was changed, once from a man in a pub after the law was changed. Our entire group of 30 left the pub. 😆

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 08:59

Well you could have a notice on the outside of the pod explaining that mothers are welcome to breastfeed anywhere in the airport, it's a breastfeeding-friendly zone, etc etc, but that the pod is for mothers who would prefer to breastfeed or express milk in private.

Please
or

Littledidsheknow · 24/02/2019 08:59

Mothers being stopped and shamed when feeding in public places is what sends a message that breastfeeding is frowned upon; giving women lots of choice of where to feed, public and private, not so much. I’d actually say it would be encouraging for many.

Please
or

Kokeshi123 · 24/02/2019 09:03

They are not locked in there--they can choose to lock themselves in there.

I "get" that there is a potential issue here, where the existence of such a facility can become a reason to start pressuring women to use it. However, nursing rooms have become more popular over the past 10 years, and nursing in public has become normal just about everywhere during the same period, so I don't think this is happening in practice. I think they are probably helpful for women who are very nervous about feeding or have particular challenges in doing so--twins, nipple shields, serious latch/milk-spraying issues etc. Women who have to pump also find these places useful.

I mostly do not bother with nursing rooms, but they were occasionally handy when my eldest went through a distractible phase and seemed to feed better somewhere quiet. They can also be a nice "free" option where you have a place to sit down and do not have to purchase a tea or coffee.

Please
or

Kokeshi123 · 24/02/2019 09:05

Sorry, above should read "nursing in public has become more normalized " as in, relative to 10 years ago. There are still many places where nursing in pubic is not normal. But I don't think there is anywhere where it is less acceptable than it was 10 years ago.

Please
or

PineapplePower · 24/02/2019 09:07

sending the message that breastfeeding anywhere else is frowned upon

I know my sample group is n=1 but I have never used these pods, and I have been through US airports way more times than I’d like with my baby in tow. No one cared or directed me to them; and I didn’t feel like I “should” use them. It was just a nice thing to have for those who want them. Also, as PP said, these are likely more relevant for pumpers, which is a very common method for feeding babies in the US, and they are supposed to have power outlets for this purpose.

Please
or

StinkyCandle · 24/02/2019 09:09

it's that by making a pod exclusively for nursing mothers you risk (possibly inadvertently though I am not convinced) sending the message that breastfeeding anywhere else is frowned upon.

I completely disagree and the alternative is a lot worst: forcing women to breastfeed in public? It's just as bad! Making people do anything they don't want to do is wrong, and using others to make a statement ridiculous.

Not having enough private space for breastfeeding is the reason why some women just give up: some new mums are really fragile, uncomfortable with their bodies, struggling and they need some space.

Please
or

Biancadelrioisback · 24/02/2019 09:10

I often chose to feed in feeding rooms. Where I live there are a few big name shops who provide feeding rooms which have individual cubicles with reclining chairs, space for the pushchair and a TV, but also a communal room with plenty of comfy seating. Other places have the shared facility. I would go there to feed unless I was already sitting down somewhere like a restaurant or cafe because I don't like sitting on those annoying benches in the middle or shopping centres or on the floor. In airports those little chairs hurt my back so I would probably use this space for comfort unless I was already in the cafe or restaurant.

Please
or

Thurmanmurman · 24/02/2019 09:14

Some people would love this. I was never that comfortable breastfeeding in public so would have definitely used this. Yes of course women should breastfeed wherever they like but not all women want to and some prefer privacy.

Please
or

SaturdayNext · 24/02/2019 09:17

Meh. Looks like an optional place for those who wish to use it.

But it isn't - it's an optional place for a tiny subset of people.

The public will see it being used which will normalise breastfeeding

The legitimate concern is that it will normalise the perception of breastfeeding as something that needs to be hidden away.

Please
or

Hannahmates · 24/02/2019 09:27

I think it is ridiculous and petty to be offended over this. We should be celebrating more choices for women. Women should be not be ashamed to breastfeed in public but there are many women who wouldn't be comfortable doing that. Please think about women from Muslim or Hindu or other conservative backgrounds most of whom would not be comfortable breastfeeding in public and would actually prefer something like this. Nobody is being forced to use this space.

Please
or

Hannahmates · 24/02/2019 09:30

I don't have kids but if I did I would definitely love to use something like this. Public breastfeeding is not an option for me unless it's a last resort.

Please
or

FindPrimeLorca · 24/02/2019 09:33

It’s much more about expressing than bf - that’s why these pods are compulsory under USA law. I think it’ll be a cold day in hell before most anywomen feel comfortable plugging an electric pump in at a cafe table lobbing their breasts out and pumping away.

Please
or

BigChocFrenzy · 24/02/2019 09:34

Don't deprive all women of choices, just because you disapprove of the legitimate preference that some women have.
That's putting ideology before women, which is the opposite of feminism

More choice, more opportunities for privacy, is likely to increase BFing
which we certainly need in the UK.
We should celebrate more choices for women

Please
or

BigChocFrenzy · 24/02/2019 09:35

I'd love to see a similar UK law for airports

Please
or

IM0GEN · 24/02/2019 09:38

Imagine breast feeding was done by men.

Any Bf area would be a large light airy room, with comfortable chairs, a Large TV showing sports and free drinks delivered to your chair.

And of course a safe play area for todldlers with staff to supervise.

Please
or

Unihorn · 24/02/2019 09:41

I know PPs have said it but the airport pods were more an initiative for working US mums who travel and pump. It's far more common in the US to pump because of their short maternity leave. Hence the plug sockets for electric pumps.

Please
or

SilviaSalmon · 24/02/2019 09:43

What are you on about OP?

They give women more choice. I wasn’t comfortable feeding in public - my choice. My baby was also easily distracted so a quiet designated place was a God send.

Please
or

27dresses · 24/02/2019 09:43

They could have allicated sone space for parents of young chikdren. Why not have a child corner with toys/entertainment for little ones and comfy chairs for breastfeeding mum's?

Please
or

riddles26 · 24/02/2019 09:44

Something I would have loved in the early days breastfeeding my first child. I refused to go out to anywhere that didn't have facilities that I could feed privately until she was about 3 months old because I was so nervous about feeding in public and exposing myself. I got used to latching her without looking and happily fed for 15+ months in the end but many women like to have the option of feeding in private and this applies to bottle feeding mums too.

Because people who are eating or having a drink in a cafe or public area do not want to see woman flopping their boob out to feed. Yes it's natural and yes, it is normal but that's not something EVERYONE wants to see.
Disgusting attitude and thankfully the law doesn't agree with it. Babies have equal rights to eat where it suits them - if it is an appropriate place for me to have a snack, it is appropriate for me to feed my baby there. If you saw me in a cafe, you wouldn't even know I was feeding my baby, would just assume I'm holding him as overwhelming majority of breastfeeding mothers are discreet about feeding. If you don't want to see it, then you are welcome to go elsewhere and have your drink

Please
or

NameChange30 · 24/02/2019 09:44

@IM0GEN

Grin
Please
or

Pernickity1 · 24/02/2019 09:45

I also had a tongue tied, reflux baby so in my early days of feeding I had to get my whole breast out and do a whole lot of manoevering to get my DD to latch. While I would have loved to have the confidence to do this in public and hugely admire those who do, I just couldn’t do it. I’m extremely self-conscious, breastfeeding at all was a huge step for me! I would have loved more facilities like this, I avoided going so many places when mine were tiny for this reason, it was quite isolating.

I agree with the pp who said it would be good if there was a big sign stressing the point that mothers are free to breastfeed throughout the airport as well as the pod.

If I ever have another baby I’ll make it my mission to feed in public, I think it’s so important to normalise it.

Please
or

pigsDOfly · 24/02/2019 09:54

I was a pretty radical breastfeeder nearly 40 years ago (eldest is 39) and would openly breastfeed anywhere and everywhere, but I think this is a great idea.

When I first breastfed my first baby I was quite self conscious when doing it in front of anyone else. Not because I was embarrassed about the feeding but because I was unsure about how to do it - baby took a while to latch on properly and feeding took forever - I would have loved to have somewhere quiet to sit alone with my baby at that time. As I said though, once I was confident with feeding I didn't care what anyone thought.

Does it say anywhere that breastfeeding mothers must use this pod? Unless it does your heading is misleading and silly; breastfeeding women are not being made to feed in a cupboard. And unless there us someone standing outside it with a key, neither are they being locked away.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.