Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?

lightlypoached · 24/02/2019 00:37

Saw this at Miami airport.

What do we think about locking breastfeeding women in cupboards ?

I think it's weird and a bit sad. You?

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?
OP's posts:
Please
or

AlaskanOilBaron · 24/02/2019 07:36

That's terrible that women are locked inside. How do they get out?

Please
or

Kahlua4me · 24/02/2019 07:36

Well said swingofthings.

This pod allows for everyone to have a choice. If you are happy to feed in public good for you, others may like to feed in private as it suits them. I would have chosen the pod as I liked the quiet one to one time with my babies when they were feeding and wasn’t happy to feed in public.

People seem to be losing the ability to see any other viewpoint apart from there own these days...

Please
or

flumpybear · 24/02/2019 07:36

It's amazing how many militant cause finders haven't realised they are beginning to be the damn problem

Absolutely!!!

Please
or

Kahlua4me · 24/02/2019 07:37

Sorry, wrong there, should be their own!

Please
or

SaturdayNext · 24/02/2019 07:40

The odd thing here is - if the idea is to provide a safe, quiet, enclosed space, why is it only available for people breastfeeding? Lots of people might like that sort of space, e.g. people with sensory problems or anxiety, or indeed people who just fancy a bit of a read in peace.

The problem with it is that it does encourage attitudes such as those of bringmethehorizonx, i.e. breastfeeding is something that you should really hide away for, look at the lovely pod we've provided for you, why are you insisting on feeding in public instead and flopping your nasty boobs out.

Please
or

janetforpresident · 24/02/2019 07:41

It's amazing how many militant cause finders haven't realised they are beginning to be the damn problem

As I said an area for all parents of both sexes to bottle or breast feed (or express) is a great idea. This specifies for nursing mothers which is my objection. It's making a distinction which ought not to be there.

You think we are militant and trying to make you breastfeed in public if you don't feel comfortabl. I believe a lot of (not all) women don't find it comfortable because of the man's world we live in. I have known plenty of people be made to feel embarrassed for feeding in public spaces so those of you who haven't are very lucky.

Please
or

julensaor · 24/02/2019 07:42

I'd change the signage to compulsory for breast feeding pontificators, sit in, have a rant, make sure their is a mirror inside and then a calming message about how to move forward with your day in a positive way.

Please
or

ittakes2 · 24/02/2019 07:45

I think your title is sad - complete nonsense women being locked in a cupboard. I'm pro-choice for women - breast feed in public because you want to not because your other choices aren't great. I did not like breastfeeding in public - not because I was worried about other people I have had surgery and I don't like getting my breasts out in public ever - so I would have loved something like this.

Please
or

flumpybear · 24/02/2019 07:47

@janetforpresident
I disagree if the resources are limited it should be for those mums who are bf so they can try to get some privacy, blokes can find a quiet corner to bottle feed, they're not in danger of exposing themselves

Please
or

ILoveBray · 24/02/2019 07:53

OP you're being ridiculous, and you know it because you used that stupid title.

This is an airport we're talking about. A busy, noisy, disruptive place with people rushing about non stop.

I would have loved a place like this to feed whilst I was waiting for a flight.

A place to relax and feed my child in peace and quiet? How dare they!

Hmm

Please
or

janetforpresident · 24/02/2019 07:54

flumpybear but that's my point entirely, plenty of women upthread have argued that it's because their baby gets distracted when feeding, it's more comfortable etc. But why does that not apply to bottle fed babies?

Your reason is to do with women feeling uncomfortable in case they expose breast but that is a result of centuries of women being made to feel ashamed of their bodies and that is what I object to. I am not saying women should all be happy to get their boobs out ,its their choice I am saying we should be working towards a society where it's the norm and plenty of women who feel uncomfortable would find that discomfort would disappear. This pod increases the pressure on women to hide away even when they don't want to, that could be resolved by making it a "baby feeding pod"

Please
or

whatswrongwithmyoven1 · 24/02/2019 07:58

One of my friends yelled at me for accidentally looking at her when she was breastfeeding her newborn. She's very pro-breastfeeding but she has some issues/ trauma relating to child sexual abuse in her family and she didn't want even a close, longstanding female friend to see her breasts. There are all kinds of reasons why breastfeeding mothers would want privacy, which isn't a problem as long as privacy isn't enforced.

Would be nice if it was for bottle-feeding and pumping too but, to be honest, I know quite a few women who'd lose their shit if it expressly included those things too, because they'd regard it as promoting bottles and putting them on a level with breastfeeding. So I'm not sure you can win!

Please
or

PoliticalBiscuit · 24/02/2019 07:59

I am a staunch defender of all things breastfeeding.

Feed for as long as you want, where you want, as ostentatiously as you want.

That being said I felt very uncomfortable breastfeeding in public due to my breasts' shape, distractable child and painful feeding. I almost always fed in private which meant toilets, cars etc.

You really should be inclusive about all ways of breastfeeding. Let's not shame women who want to feed in shelter as if they're doing it wrong. Concentrate your efforts elsewhere.

Please
or

bevelino · 24/02/2019 08:00

This thread has a deliberately inflammatory title. The pods offer choice to enable breastfeeding in private. No one is forced to use it and everyone can feed their child anywhere in the airport.

Please
or

teyem · 24/02/2019 08:00

I think, to send the right message, they should also make a little box for those who cannot tolerate to see a woman breastfeed in a cafe to hide in. It can be painted in soothing colours and pipe in whale sounds and have comfortable affirmations written on the walls like, 'It might be natural but I don't like it' and 'Why can't they just use a bottle?'

This way, breastfeeding women will know they can use their box and if they want to use the cafe they can direct the boob offended to their own box.

Please
or

pictish · 24/02/2019 08:00

“The majority of BF mothers feed discreetly, you carnt even tell they are doing it. There's certainly no flopping out a boob.”

There was with me. I couldn’t get the hang of breastfeeding discreetly at all. There was always a lot of faff getting baby positioned well and latched on and it was very difficult to do that without my tit hanging out and my nipple being on show. I never breastfed in public as a result. I spent ages sitting in toilets and those ‘mother and baby rooms’ (a cupboard with a plastic chair in it). I would have welcomed something like this to feed in.

That breastfeeding involves just popping baby on without anyone noticing might be true for some but it certainly wasn’t for me.
I found it an excruciating experience whereby I didn’t want my saggy old sloobs on show.

Please
or

Marmite27 · 24/02/2019 08:01

I thought they were terrible to begin with, but soon found that only a sensory deprivation tank worked to get my awkward baby to feed.

Don’t forget in the USA lots of women go back to work earlier than we do and express milk for their babies, I’ll bet there are outlets for pumps and a sink in there too. Lots of pumping mums will really appreciate the pods, and not having to find somewhere suitable to pump.

Please
or

femalepresentingnipples · 24/02/2019 08:03

I can’t believe people are whinging about how it’s unfair and should be offered to bottle feeders too. These things are offered so that women who are uncomfortable risking exposing their breasts in public can still feed their babies comfortably. There’s absolutely no need for a private space to give a baby a bottle because no one needs to expose any body parts to bottle feed. For formula feeding mums making facilities available to prepare or warm feeds safely would be much more important than privacy.

Obviously it would be even better to have a larger parent and baby space with facilities to suit everyone. A local shopping centre has a fab space with a small toddler play area, an area for heating food or making up feeds, nappy changing stations, a toilet cubicle with a normal toilet and a small lower toilet for children in it, some chairs and tables and a couple of small lockable rooms for anyone who prefers privacy for breastfeeding.

Please
or

Oysterbabe · 24/02/2019 08:04

The distracted baby thing is really a secondary issue. The main one is that a lot of women don't want to expose their breasts in public. Trying to force them to will just see declining breastfeeding rates.

Please
or

flumpybear · 24/02/2019 08:04

@janetforpresident - nonsense! Some people don't want to show off their breasts or be in danger of it - so what if it's behaviour that's evolved, we're not going back to caveman times any time soon, and militant idiots suggesting 'everyone should be happy showing their bodies' bollocks is your own views and frankly ridiculous idealistic world nonsense for some others - you're not gonna change that

Perhaps there ought to be a mix of private areas for people like the many above who like privacy when dealing with potential exposure of breasts and nipples etc, and others where a mix of men and women can bf or ff in a room together if they want to, for peace and quiet purposes - saying that I've never failed to find quiet space to bottle feed my children ... unlike when wanting to bf them

however allow the fact that some people may be less hippy and more Reserved than some, want to maintain their dignity in public

Please
or

Mummyoflittledragon · 24/02/2019 08:05

Janet
Are you really that hard of thinking that you fail to see the difference between bf a baby and bottle feeding?

Please
or

MamaFlintstone · 24/02/2019 08:09

I’d have loved this for bottle feeding my DD. As it was I often had to sit in the car to do it because I had one too many nasty comments about formula feeding to be able to handle as a new mother.

Please
or

masktaster · 24/02/2019 08:11

I breastfeed anywhere and everywhere. I honestly don't care. But I love a nice comfortable feeding room. My local shopping centre has a lovely breastfeeding space with a glidey chair and footstool that I occasionally venture to, as it's more comfortable than a hard bench (it's just on the top floor and the lifts take several days to get to you, so I don't go very often)

Please
or

PRoseLegend · 24/02/2019 08:13

I love using parents rooms when I'm out and about.
I have fed in public spaces like cafes too, but my DS just fusses, goes on and off, screams at the fast letdown on one side and screams at the letdown being too slow on the other side, my boob is on show when I trying to fit the nipple shield on my flat side, my boob is on show when DS is screaming because he's dealing with a firehose...
Frankly, a private space with a comfy chair where we can both relax and feed without people looking concerned about my screaming fussy baby being sprayed in the face sounds heavenly.

I have no shame about my boob and feeding my child in public. It's the stressfulness of a fussy baby and a fast letdown that makes a private space to feed more attractive.
Plus have you tried feeding in cafe chairs? They're awfully uncomfortable.

Please
or

Amanduh · 24/02/2019 08:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.