Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?

lightlypoached · 24/02/2019 00:37

Saw this at Miami airport.

What do we think about locking breastfeeding women in cupboards ?

I think it's weird and a bit sad. You?

Locking breastfeeding women in a cupboard ?
OP's posts:
Please
or

Mumphineasandferbmadea · 24/02/2019 06:30

That looks great I might have managed to carry on breast feeding if there were things like that about. I'm painfully shy and just couldn't cope with bfing in public so gave up after a couple of weeks. I wouldn't even do it in front of my family. I know this was my problem but I'm sure there are others who feel the same.

Please
or

my2bundles · 24/02/2019 06:31

The majority of BF mothers feed discreetly, you carnt even tell they are doing it. There's certainly no flopping out a boob.

Please
or

abcriskringle · 24/02/2019 06:36

Totally agree with women breastfeeding wherever they want. I often fed in cafes and restaurants and I don't think people even realised most of the time.
Also think it's nice to offer a private space. I loved feeding rooms as from about 6mo DS would not latch on properly if there were other people to look at and worked himself into a frenzy. It was great to have a private and quieter area so we could have a quick, efficient feed while out.

Please
or

Ohtherewearethen · 24/02/2019 06:36

Oh for goodness sake, what a load of drama over nothing! Some people are just permanently offended! If you don't like it, don't use it but don't shame other breast feeding mothers for wanting a bit of privacy! Some could argue that you're as bad as those (imaginary?) people who shame mother's who breastfeed in public for that attitude.

Please
or

Floridasunset · 24/02/2019 06:38

MrsTerryPratcett

You know what would would be nice? This pod thingy for people with distractable babies or who want simple privacy, and then a load of comfy seats around it, and maybe a fenced area with toys for people with toddlers as well, and a hammockfor me

Minus the hammock and cake we have somewhere like this in our local shopping centre

Please
or

Floridasunset · 24/02/2019 06:38

Sorry I failed to copy all of your message

Please
or

PregnantSea · 24/02/2019 06:40

I haven't looked into this so I could be totally wrong, and happy to be corrected if I am, but I bet that this has been installed at the request of certain women - maybe a charity or movement of some kind. They probably wanted a clean and private place to breastfeed. Some women just don't want to wack them out in public and don't want to have to sit in the toilet.

If you don't like it then just don't use it, we don't have to do the same things and think the same just because we're all women.

Please
or

PristineCondition · 24/02/2019 06:46

Your trying to shame them buy saying itslocking them away
Your shaming them more by saying women should have to breast feed in public places even if they prefer privacy.
Women have enough choice take away from them, don’t add to it

Please
or

Feb2018mumma · 24/02/2019 06:50

I would prefer a quiet pod to a loud airport! Especially if I'm trying to get baby to sleep? It doesn't say you have to use it it's just a option, if you want to feed in the airport cafe then do that!

Please
or

Oakenbeach · 24/02/2019 06:54

Breast-feeding is entirely natural and mothers should be able to breastfeed in public without shame or embarrassment. However, they should be forced to do so by militant women who place their agenda over the feelings of individual mothers. The room is a great idea! Also, what’s a devout Muslim woman meant to do without it.... if she feels she can’t show her face or hair in public, she’s hardly going to feel she can show her boobs!

Also, urinating is entirely natural, and I shouldn’t feel ashamed for doing it... it doesn’t follow though that I should be made to do it in front of everyone just to make that point!

Please
or

Huntawaymama · 24/02/2019 06:56

Currently feeding DD2, she's 8m and she's currently at that annoying stage where shes interested in everything and every noise pulls her off the boob to see what's going on so atm I prefer feeding in quiet privacy. I love seeing mums feed in public and generally I'm happy to do so just right now she leaves me a bit exposed

Please
or

Oakenbeach · 24/02/2019 06:59

Because people who are eating or having a drink in a cafe or public area do not want to see woman flopping their boob out to feed. Yes it's natural and yes, it is normal but that's not something EVERYONE wants to see.

Totally disagree with this attitude. The room should be there to meet the needs of the mother and provide an option for privacy if she want it.... not somewhere a mother feels she has to go to ensure she doesn’t cause offence!

Please
or

Oakenbeach · 24/02/2019 07:01

they should not be forced

Please
or

mindutopia · 24/02/2019 07:05

These are quite normal in the US. Most American women go back to work after 6-12 weeks and end up needing to express, and especially so during work travel. I’ve bf everywhere but if I was travelling away from my baby, a quiet place to express that isn’t a toilet would be amazing. My now 1 year old also refused to feed in public from about 4 months so I wish they had one of these in our town centre (certainly would have been an improvement on having to sit in my car away from all distractions).

Please
or

Aridane · 24/02/2019 07:06

Hate things like this. Why can't we just sit.in the fucking cafe!!

Of course you can sit in the fucking cafe. It's about choice 🙄 !

Please
or

Aridane · 24/02/2019 07:12

In th US it's the law to have this option in large and medium airports!!

"Traveling when you're a breastfeeding mom can be a challenge, especially when you need to find a private space to pump. But thanks to the FAA reauthorization Act of 2018, life is going to get easier. The new bi-partisan bill includes provisions from the Friendly Airports for Mothers (FAM) Act (written by Senator Tammy Duckworth in 2015) and requires lactation spaces in airports. So say good bye to pumping in bathrooms!
What is the FAM Act?

As part of the FAA reauthorization act, the Friendly Airports for Mothers (FAM) Act requires all large and medium hub airports to provide a private “lactation area” beyond security in every terminal.
What does this mean for breastfeeding mamas?

Over 60 large and medium hub airports will need to provide a private lactation area beyond security in every terminal by October 2020 (Fiscal Year 2021, in government terms), two years from the date the law passed.
The lactation area must:
Not be a bathroom
Have a locking door
Include a place to sit, a table or flat surface, an electrical outlet and a sink or sanitizing equipment
Be accessible to, and usable by, people with disabilities
Does this mean that all U.S. airports will have a lactation space in every terminal?

Not exactly. Only large and medium hub airports—there are 61 one of them—will be required to comply with the law. However, as lactation spaces become more common in airports and, as more mamas come to expect them, smaller airports will hopefully consider going the extra mile for their breastfeeding guests.
What can I do to make sure my favorite airport gets better lactation accommodations?

If you travel through an airport that lacks lactation spaces, be an advocate for yourself and other traveling mamas. Airports want to provide amenities for their travelers, but they may not be aware of the problem. Contact Customer Care to let them know they need better spaces for their breastfeeding guests. (Check our Take Action on Airports for an easy tool"

Please
or

Mummyoflittledragon · 24/02/2019 07:15

I used to spend a lot of time in breastfeed rooms with dd in John Lewis and M&S. I like them for the comfort due to chronic pain so the “what’s wrong with feeding in a cafe” brigade need to wind it in and realises some women need more comfort to feed babies and toddlers especially as they get more wriggly and heavy.

M&S got rid of the chairs when they updated the loos, which was disgusting imo. Sadly it was smelly in there as it doubled up as nappy change.

Please
or

swingofthings · 24/02/2019 07:16

Threads like this really annoy me. Typical of a group of people who confuse their choice for propaganda.

These are their for those mothers who don't like feedeeing in public, nothing else. It's because SOME women would have asked for it because SOME women like/care for breastfeeding in privacy. If you are happy to breastfeed in front of others, then nothing or no one is stopping you to do so.

A friend of mine had no issue breastfeeding in public but her baby didn't feed weel with distraction around, be it movement or noise, would get frustrated and not settle. She would have loved a quiet and dark place to do so.

Stop thinking that the world revolve around you and your rights to breastfeed everywhere. Not everything related to breastfeeding is about these rights.

Please
or

my2bundles · 24/02/2019 07:17

Well said swingofthings.

Please
or

WonderTweek · 24/02/2019 07:23

I would have loved a pod like that! I'm a private person and don't like doing anything in public (especially airports because they're a germ haven to me!) so I would have been in it faster than a lightning. Grin I also had a baby who was easily distracted so a nice quiet area would have been lovely. As everyone have said earlier, as long as people aren't being forced to use the pod it's fine.

Please
or

SherlockSays · 24/02/2019 07:25

FFS. Another thread where women are trying to force other women to conform to THEIR choice.

If I was BF'ing I would be straight in there, that's my choice. My friend would be fine in the cafe, that's her choice.

Plus, a lot of babies are bloody nosy and struggle to feed in public areas as it is. DD is horrendous for it.

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 24/02/2019 07:25

I would have used that. I didn't BF for long but would have loved a bit of privacy when out in public.

Please
or

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery · 24/02/2019 07:31

Good for people to have the choice, especially for expressing (I hope it has a socket for a pump), but I would hope that the signs made clear that mothers are absolutely entitled to feed anywhere if they don't want to use a pod.

Please
or

Shinyletsbebadguys · 24/02/2019 07:32

I'm another who would have loved this

It's amazing those who try to shame women for not banging a drum they don't choose to , or being affected by the Patriarchy are just as bad as men trying to limit our choices

Women shaming women simply encourages others to feel they can do as well so rather than seeing this as a choice some mother's may want for their own damn reasons (perhaps we could shockingly assume that women have fucking brains and so not feel shame because of an anti breast feeding paradigm but simply feel tired and want seclusion and have made the choice themselves ) we could be supportive of choice

It's amazing how many militant cause finders haven't realised they are beginning to be the damn problem

Please
or

Anique105 · 24/02/2019 07:35

Lesson for you op, get over yourself feeling outraged on behalf of other people who dont want you to.

You Obviously came on spoiling for a 'women's rights' drama. Nobody is being forced, it's a choice.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.