Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Ridiculous parenting advice

303 replies

GreasyHairDoNotCare · 05/03/2018 12:29

Aibu to ask you what the most ridiculous bit of parenting advice that you've ever been given is?

I can think of a few but these stand out to me

'It's good for him to cry like that, gets the air to his lungs, leave him for a while'- DS was screaming with teething pain and wanted comforting

'Can't you just lay him in the bath, he'll hold his breath obviously' - no DS will drown if I do that

OP posts:
thenightsky · 06/03/2018 09:52

Don't let your newborn catch sight of herself in a mirror because she'll see the Devil. Said by my own mother who was as anti-woo as you could get normally Confused

Cath2907 · 06/03/2018 10:03

All babies cry, you are just being an overanxious mum. Said by my GP about DD who was hours after admitted to hospital for a week with suspected meningitis (it was a UTI and reflux in the end) after I took her for a second opinion.

She isn't that much underweight - perhaps you should encourage her to eat more. Said by another GP about my massively underweight 6 year old. She was refusing to recommend her for a tonsilectomy despite her having tonsilitis weekly and losing so much weight she was permanently exhausted. a week later another GP sent her for emergency blood tests for leukaemia after seeing her. Eventually I paid for her tonsils to be removed privately and surprise surprise her health improved massively. a year on she is still underweight but has gained almost a stone and is so much healthier and has energy!

I have little faith in GPs and get really frustrated that they seemingly WILL NOT refer my daughter to paeds when she is obviously very very ill. I am quite confident she was close to a full systemic collapse before she had her tonsils out. The private consultant was horrified at the state on her. She looked like a famine victim. You could actually see the texture on the bones in her shoulder blade. Every knobble on her spine was fully visible standing up. Her pelvis stuck out. Her skin was paper thin and almost translucent. She slept 14hrs a night and was always tired. She was listless. Her hand shook when she held a fork. She had a fever 2 days out of every 7 and didn't eat at all during that time. How in hell the GP couldn't see it I don't know - she weighed 14kg as a normal height 6 year old. I kept expecting social services to knock on the door and accuse me of not feeding her - to be honest I'd have been glad to see them, anyone who would take notice and get her some help.

Hoppinggreen · 06/03/2018 10:06

If children don’t wear vests they will get pneumonia (mil)
It wasn’t that I had to keep them warm or anything it was specifically a vest, which apparently had magic pneumonia fighting properties
When a friend of hers grandchild got pneumonia she rang me up gleefully and told me that the Doctor said it was due to the lack of vest ( sure he did)
Generally mil gives good advice and isn’t too pushy but she was obsessed with vests

ethelfleda · 06/03/2018 10:13

They also suggested at 8 weeks old shutting her in the shed when she's upset so I'm not 'tempted' to pick her up and she'll learn not to be clingy!

Shock

NerrSnerr · 06/03/2018 10:16

That I was ‘babying, my 3 month old baby by letting him nap on me,

Soubriquet · 06/03/2018 10:18

Oh yes, smack them, bite them, kick them or pull their hair back. Will teach them good and proper.

How on earth is smacking a child, teaching them NOT to hit? Doesn't make sense. When I pointed this out to my nan, she reluctantly agreed..but still peddled the same advice next time!

No I am not going to bite my baby!!

Potty training must be done before they are 18 months or they will never learn. We didn't go near dd until she was after the age of 3. By them she was old enough to understand and we managed to potty train in 3 days.

Unlike my sister who insisted her dd was ready at 12 months and was changing knickers until she was nearly 3.5. Still she was "toilet trained" at 1 year old Hmm

GreasyHairDoNotCare · 06/03/2018 10:19

Just thought of another one

The best thing you can give him to help his teething is a chicken bone.

Seeing as you can't even give dogs chicken bones I don't think I'll be giving my 5month old DS one thanks.

OP posts:
S0ph1a · 06/03/2018 10:27

From health visitor “ you’re not still feeding him yourself are you, you’ll be wanting to stop that now “. DS was 8 months old .

From medical consultant ( female , aged about 40) “ There’s no benefit to your baby to breast feed after 6 months “.

SchoolMoney · 06/03/2018 10:30

If they turn blue around the mouth it means they have wind.

Sure MIL. 🤔

lightoflaluna · 06/03/2018 10:30

I changed DS to Comfort Milk after he was getting very distressed during feeds and arching away from the bottle. After a day, he was a different baby; sleeping better, calm and smiley and feeding well. However, a mum at baby group told me that because i had mentioned that his poo was a slightly different colour, that i was poisoning him and would give him digestive problems forever if i didn't go back to the standard milk.

Mammyloveswine · 06/03/2018 10:36

My nana suggested weaning once ds was 12 pounds... he was 12 pounds at 6 weeks old Hmm... she also suggested giving a pork chop to chomp on with a kidney attached at the end...

Oh and when she heard id been out the day after ds2 was born "be careful otherwise you'll get a chill up your front passage" Grin

Chienrouge · 06/03/2018 10:37

Oh and when she heard id been out the day after ds2 was born "be careful otherwise you'll get a chill up your front passage"

Grin did you go out naked, legs akimbo?!

ethelfleda · 06/03/2018 10:41

S0ph1a

Please tell me that was a long time ago?? That's terrible advice Shock

harlaandgoddard · 06/03/2018 10:43

From a HV when I took my baby to be weighed and complained that she still seemed very unsettled and cried a lot.

‘Well she seems fine now’

Me - Hmm well yes but she’s been here 2 mins? She spends hours everyday screaming.

‘Have you tried talking to her’

Me - Hmm

I weighed my baby at home myself from that point on.

Aprilmightmemynewname · 06/03/2018 10:47

Hv tried to insist the bf support lady visit me several times in the first 12 weeks incase I wasn't managing with ds.
I had already successfully bf my other 10 dc.
I politely told her the visits would be best given to someone who needed them.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties · 06/03/2018 10:48

"Chill up your front passage" How did you keep a straight face after that nugget of wisdom? Grin

Hopping I have a Vest obsessed Mil too! A lack of vest is the cause of most ailments, in fact not wearing a vest will "give" you a cold almost instantly. Mine are teens now and I know she's still itching to pull up their t shirts and do a vest check.

ethelfleda · 06/03/2018 10:48

I love the classic 'Dad can't bond with him if you're breast feeding'
I've seen that a lot on here.
DH has bonded with DS very well actually!

FizzyGreenWater · 06/03/2018 10:55

At 13 dd shouldn't walk anywhere OUTSIDE on her own because of all these new peodophiles.

Lol at new, trendy, bandwagon-jumping paedophiles Grin

Keepingupwiththejonesys · 06/03/2018 10:55

If you tickle babies feet the will get brain damage Shock

FizzyGreenWater · 06/03/2018 10:56

Oh yes Dad can't bond with a BF baby.

Shuuuuuuut uuuuuuuuuuuppppppp :)

thenightsky · 06/03/2018 10:59

Howling at the thought of 'getting a chill up your front passage' Grin

PinkyBlunder · 06/03/2018 10:59

Said to my 4 year old when she was refusing to brush her teeth. ‘Oh don’t worry about it, just eat an apple instead then you don’t have to.’

Hmm

KatharinaRosalie · 06/03/2018 11:24

Now, I am from Nordic country where everybody is obsessed with babies getting cold. Especially one must never go out without a hat and socks. We were on holiday with my aunt's family, and baby DS. Aunt was so shocked about how we dressed him that she went out, bought him a warm velour sleepsuit and fluffy socks and insisted he must wear them, as he will otherwise catch the chill'.

We were in Spain, it was 30 degrees outside..

LeighaJ · 06/03/2018 11:32

mygoditsfullofstars

"Invite the kid that is horribly bullying your child to his/her party so s/he doesn't feel left out (as seen on MN)."

I was scratching my head at that thread too. As someone who was bullied horribly as a child I can't think of anything worse then forcing a child to spend their birthday with the kid who bullies them at school so the bully's feelings aren't hurt. Hmm

Mammyloveswine

"Oh and when she heard id been out the day after ds2 was born "be careful otherwise you'll get a chill up your front passage" grin"

🤣🤣🤣

Sleepyblueocean · 06/03/2018 11:34

"Well she seems fine now’"

Yes we had similar with ds from a hcp who said we were exaggerating about his discomfort when ds was sitting there with hands covered in bite marks and a face bright red from slapping himself.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.