Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Ridiculous parenting advice

303 replies

GreasyHairDoNotCare · 05/03/2018 12:29

Aibu to ask you what the most ridiculous bit of parenting advice that you've ever been given is?

I can think of a few but these stand out to me

'It's good for him to cry like that, gets the air to his lungs, leave him for a while'- DS was screaming with teething pain and wanted comforting

'Can't you just lay him in the bath, he'll hold his breath obviously' - no DS will drown if I do that

OP posts:
DailyMailReadersAreThick · 09/03/2018 17:36

DS1 was a very fractious baby and I took him to a cranial osteopath when he was about 4 months old. The practitioner told me his problems were because he was formula fed (I'd bf'ed for 9 weeks) and it was wicked to give a baby dairy and I should give him apple juice instead. I did not take the advice or go back.

You took your baby to a quack and were annoyed to get quack advice?

BashfulBunny · 12/03/2018 13:04

Not quite parenting, but a pharmacist suggested iodine for my episiotomy and 3rd degree tear Shock To be fair, I think he was a little confused as he also asked if there was a dressing over it...

NorbertTheDragon · 12/03/2018 13:28

I've got two that have actually proved true!

SIL on seeing a cute photo of DS holding hands with his friend, also a boy, aged 2. We shouldn't let them do that as they'll turn gay. DS is gay, so it must be true (but he must have caught all the gay as his friend isn't Wink)

Bite them back! I have twins. One of bit the other and made him cry. I told him off. Bitten twin then goes back to brother and bites him. Twin looks confused as it hurts and he doesn't like it. Result - 2 crying boys who know that biting hurts. They didn't do it again! Daft kids! 🙄

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.