Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Ridiculous parenting advice

303 replies

GreasyHairDoNotCare · 05/03/2018 12:29

Aibu to ask you what the most ridiculous bit of parenting advice that you've ever been given is?

I can think of a few but these stand out to me

'It's good for him to cry like that, gets the air to his lungs, leave him for a while'- DS was screaming with teething pain and wanted comforting

'Can't you just lay him in the bath, he'll hold his breath obviously' - no DS will drown if I do that

OP posts:
Viperama · 07/03/2018 19:56

Health Vistor “he slept 8 hours over night!?! Oh no you must not let him do that he will starve”
Errr I think baby knows what baby needs and if he is hungry he will wake. Lost all confidence in this person at that point. My son was 3 weeks at the time, and has always loved his sleep. He still naps 2 hours easily at 3 years old. Luckiest mommy ever ❤️

CremeFresh · 07/03/2018 20:18

I was told to ask my baby's permission before I did anything to her eg bath, nappy change.

Maryann1975 · 07/03/2018 20:18

Sleep when the baby sleeps- when you have a four year old and non napping two year old and a husband who goes out to work. Yep, that was going to work wasn’t it Hmm.

logicalmum · 07/03/2018 20:28

I was once told to let my toddler keep climbing on to a wall because if she fell off and hurt herself she wouldn't do it again. Shock

ellesworth · 07/03/2018 20:31

Not so much advice as judgey mcjudgeypants.
Me: Oh I won't be able to come back to the clinic as I'm working Wednesdays now and he's going to [private nursery down the road] that day.
Health Visitor: Oh you're not going to work full time are you?

Nah I'm sending him to nursery for shits and giggles hen. I don't really need to pay the bills...

Bashbaby · 07/03/2018 20:41

MIL when we took baby to visit. My DH was tickling babies feet and playing. MIL-don’t tickle his feet you’ll make him into a transvestite..... no words....

Aprilmightmemynewname · 07/03/2018 20:43

Bashbaby def wins!!

dinosaurkisses · 07/03/2018 20:44

My SIL is mid twenties and listens to most family advice regardless of how out of date it is.

My favourite has to be the suggestion to liberally apply butter to a bump on the head to prevent any damage and act as a painkiller. Sometimes I think she forgets she has a toddler and not a shortcrust pastry.

brotherphil · 07/03/2018 20:52

And I was a dreadful mother because I caused my ds's severe autism by giving him the mmr

Grrrrr. If there's one thing that will get me in rant mode...

(Disclaimer: I'm aspie, as is DS1. Suspect DS2 has ADHD, but it doesn't get in the way of learning, so far).

quizqueen · 07/03/2018 21:09

Put some sugar in her bottle!!!!

I only ever breastfed and never even bought a bottle as both went straight onto beakers ( water or cow's milk - no sugar)

throwcushions · 07/03/2018 21:16

Use toilet paper for nappy changes. Saves on wipes.

What's wrong with this?! I always use TP on a poo first then go in with a wipe to get things clean.

Slackalice42 · 07/03/2018 21:19

HV at 12 month check- If baby falls asleep in his pushchair or anywhere other than his cot, wake him up before moving him to his cot or he will wake up frightened.

SweetieP1e · 07/03/2018 21:41

"Expressing bottles for dad to give means you don't have to wake up through the night"

We were advised this as I'm epileptic and lack of sleep sets off my seizures. DH says it was the most amazing way to bond with DD and it did allow me to have a better sleep. We didn't manage to stick with it for ds and we both really regret it. I was constantly sleep deprived and he never got that extra special time that he'd had with dd.

kyph09 · 07/03/2018 21:42

Viperama - what should’ve been explained to you is that a 3 week old baby still might be at risk of being hypoglycaemic and that’s why sleeping 8 hours may be a concern. It’s normal for babies under 1 to wake in the night regularly so they were right to show some concern but obviously didn’t give you a very good explanation or advice

Bellamuerte · 07/03/2018 21:43

"Health Vistor “he slept 8 hours over night!?! Oh no you must not let him do that he will starve"

@Viperama The person was correct to tell you that small babies need to eat more frequently than every 8hrs. I was told to wake baby if he sleeps more than 4-5hrs and feed him to prevent his blood sugar dropping too low. Yes a content well-fed baby will sleep for a long period, but so will a weak underfed baby who hasn't got the strength to wake up. My milk came in late so DS was very sleepy and quiet for the first few days because he was weak due to being underfed. When he started getting more milk he was more alert and didn't sleep as long.

Sennelier1 · 07/03/2018 21:45

When I was expecting DD I sometimes sunbathed. A neighbour told me I should cut a cardboard box to fit my belly, then use that box to protect my belly from the sun, as otherwise my amniotic fluid was going to evaporate.. Even my obstetrician had never heard that one 🤣

ArDali1 · 07/03/2018 21:49

Friend of mine, has no kids, and does not ever intend to have any, tried to tell me how I should learn to control my (at the time 1year old) daughter to stop screaming because she will become uncontrollable. (She screams from excitement and frustration because she's a baby)
And she then said "what if you were in a cafe and someone happened to have a heart problem and she screams they will probably have a heart attack" .

RedPanda2 · 07/03/2018 21:50

Bloody hell do you do any training as a HV or just make it up.as you along? They all sound awful!

Butteredparsn1ps · 07/03/2018 21:52

Plenty of daft advice over the years. One of my favourites was from the HV when DC2 was a few weeks old. DC was cosy in a cotton babygrow, but apparently, I really should have been getting her dressed in proper clothes during the day so that she could tell the difference between day and night. Hmm

LeCoqLazy · 07/03/2018 21:56

HV told our baby group not to bother getting our baby a Christmas present and to save the money to go to nandos with our partner instead

Is it bad that this made me laugh?

bebees · 07/03/2018 22:00

EyeBaggage - baby massage classes are a bit odd and unnecessary anyway so it's not surprising that the person running the class spoke such utter condescending rubbish!!

cheval · 07/03/2018 22:01

Obstetrician told me I wouldn’t know how to mother my child when she was post 10 as I lost my mother at that age...great. They turned out fine btw.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

SweetieP1e · 07/03/2018 22:01

highlights for me were:

"Put some wine in his milk and he'll fall asleep really well" (to my aunt for dn)

It's bad luck for baby to see themselves in the mirror

"You really don't need to bf anymore. You did it for 6 weeks that's more than enough. It'll make life so much easier for you." (oh yes, sterilising, boiling and cooling water, making sure there's enough for when we go out... so much easier)

"Just put more blankets on if they're not sleeping through the night. They probably just have cold feet."

Shaving baby's hair off will make it grow back thicker.

Put oil on baby's head so they have nice shiny hair when they grow up (said to my mum and done to me by dgm. Mum says it was like an oil slick dripping down my back every time she left me with dgmConfused

Graphista · 07/03/2018 22:10

"Just put more blankets on if they're not sleeping through the night. They probably just have cold feet."

The cold feet bit is bonkers but there is evidence more/weighted blankets can help both babies and older humans sleep better. I'm seriously considering getting one myself! (Chronic insomniac myself and dd was a dreadful sleeper until she hit teens!)

wellymelly · 07/03/2018 22:10

My late Grandma told me I shouldn’t eat too many peanuts because her old neighbors friends 2nd cousin twice removed gave birth to her baby and it was covered in peanuts!!!! (Yes she really said this). Bless her. She was born in 1905!

Also my ex GIL (for want of better description) kept nagging me to give DS glucose.... she wouldn’t stop going on about it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.