Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU you look ok from the front BUT>>>

190 replies

Whodoesthis17 · 18/07/2017 17:59

So this is a big no no in my book.
You see this person looking lovely from the front, made up nice outfit, but they turn around and it's like they got dragged out of bed, the bra is on view,, all of it.
Now is this just me or do others of you think WTF.

OP posts:
kali110 · 18/07/2017 23:34

I once walked around with my flues undone Blush ages till i noticed!

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness · 18/07/2017 23:34

We still laugh about it @squishysquirmy
Halcyon days.

kali110 · 18/07/2017 23:35

Op, were you brought up thinking that this wasn't a done thing, is this what's making you think this is something out the norm?

MumsOnCrack · 18/07/2017 23:36

@kali110 I think the OP has some fairly strict rules about what is 'allowed' and what is 'unacceptable'

MumsOnCrack · 18/07/2017 23:36

Omg I managed to tag someone for the first time ever!!! Celebrate with me!!!?

Whodoesthis17 · 18/07/2017 23:37

I think in my mind a lot of it is to do with how we used to dress up to go out in the 80;s
Smart and the outfits were bang on smart.
I know the girls wear see through tops and a bright bra underneath now, and yes it looks great and it is their style. A fashion statement indeed.
I am not talking about that, and it has nothing to do with fat shaming or anything like that so please don't twist what I am saying to mean this.
I was talking about being surprised how people wear a dress or top and just sling any old bra on underneath, hence why I WISH I had a photo explain what I saw.

OP posts:
squishysquirmy · 18/07/2017 23:38

I once exploded out of a bra. Yawned over enthusiastically at work and the hooks on the back just went. Tried to repair in the toilets, but couldn't so had to spend the rest of the day bra-less. Which wouldn't be too bad, but I had ginormous leaky breastfeeding breasts that I was super paranoid about, so had to spend the rest of the morning wearing a jacket in ridiculous heat, before an emergency lunchtime Primark dash.

MumGoneCrazy · 18/07/2017 23:39

MumsOnCrack I seen someone in my local Tesco today wearing a pink/coral bra under a white vest top, your not from South Wales are you? Grin

kali110 · 18/07/2017 23:39

MumsOnCrack i don't want to dig the op, i want to know the respect thing etc, but if she can try to explain, maybe she can see that things like this are normal ( she doesn't have yo do them!) but it doesn't mean a person has no respect.

kali110 · 18/07/2017 23:40

Cross/post, so was you brought up to not show your bra off op or anything like that? Not a dig because i certainly was!

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness · 18/07/2017 23:45

@Whodoesthis17 then you'd have been better off prefacing your OP with, "perhaps I have never recovered from going out on the piss in the eighties, dressed like a mash up of Deidre Barlow and an employee of Yorkshire Bank. I don't get all this being free to dress however you want nowadays"

Whodoesthis17 · 18/07/2017 23:47

Kali , mum would have had a fit,
But I really don't mind the jacket with a bra under,
or a see through top with a bra on.
I even now wear a top with bra straps showing.

This was a halterneck dress with a completly cut away sides and no back at all, none. so the whole of an old bra was showing, never seen it before, It's not about me being a prude, it was out and and out odd, as when she walked away all you could see was her bra and a skirt.

OP posts:
MumsOnCrack · 18/07/2017 23:48

@Mumgonecrazy sadly it wasn't me but hats off to her!

OP it doesn't matter how you mean it - you're laughing at and mocking someone for the clothes they're wearing. It's dismal behaviour.

Whodoesthis17 · 18/07/2017 23:49

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness ,,
Jumpsuits and strapless dresses, for Etams,,, hmm I miss Etams

OP posts:
MumsOnCrack · 18/07/2017 23:49

Lol @ Yorkshire bank

kali110 · 18/07/2017 23:49

Do you not think that any of it is how you view things because of your upbringing?
My mom also would have had a fit if i'd done it as a teen!
Even know she hates my dress sense! Grin

MumsOnCrack · 18/07/2017 23:51

@kali110 even my elderly mother wouldn't laugh at someone in the street and then start a thread about them.

Can't buy class.

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness · 18/07/2017 23:55

@Whodoesthis17 I was bring irreverent. But there were millions of women that did indeed dress like that.

My point is you thought you looked great at the time and didn't give a shit if some women thought otherwise. So just live and let live now. You're allowed to inwardly cringe but I think people will take this and run with it on a discussion board as your incredulity being the thin end of your proverbial disapproval wedge.

Taking a picture of this person and posting it would have been a terrible thing to do. Be thankful you didn't and can't. Not understanding something doesn't give you the right to be cruel.

Whodoesthis17 · 19/07/2017 00:00

I never laughed at the person, I was taken back to see it, which is different, and Mumsoncrack you just said you saw someone wear something in Tesco, so you do notice it.

I asked becasue your supposed to be able to ask on this site about things, and it wasn't just one person, I really wanted to know if it has come to pass that you can show off the whole of the back of your body with a bra and nothing else and it has become normal.

Would you all really not say a word if it was your mum doing this, becasue my friends DS13 sent his mum back to her room to change as he thought it was wrong when she wore a low top and it showed her bra. Life can't have changed so much in the last year that this summer everyone will be showing bra fastenings.

OP posts:
ThoseFemalesAreStrongAsHell · 19/07/2017 00:01

You are joking an adult female wears a bra! Somebody call Victoria because her secret is out

kali110 · 19/07/2017 00:03

I don't tell my mom what to wear. I HATE her fashion sense.
She hates mine!
She doesn't tell me what to wear, i don't tell her what to wear.

YouCantArgueWithStupid · 19/07/2017 00:03

Yeah it friend allows herself to have her clothing dictated to by her 13 year old son!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

squishysquirmy · 19/07/2017 00:05

"becasue my friends DS13 sent his mum back to her room to change as he thought it was wrong when she wore a low top and it showed her bra."

Ooof! Cheeky little fecker! Fine to point out to a family member that they are showing more than they might be aware of, but he "sent her back?" feels kinda patriarchal - a little bit like males controlling what the women of the family wear, to prevent them embarrassing the family. Never too early to start reinforcing that men know best, eh?

AlmostAJillSandwich · 19/07/2017 00:06

Each to their own, but i honestly couldn't care less if i can see someones bra, or they can see mine. Surely bra is better than breast?
I live in spaghetti strap tops, i just cant be doing with the feeling of even short sleeves, and i don't like boring old black/white/tan bras, so i always have colourful straps on show!
Also some tops just fall too low at the back, a bit of bra band is hardly offensive.

I do have to ask though, WHY are you studying womens arses enough to be able to work out the pattern on their underwear?! I'm assuming the average arse height isn't your eye level.

Whodoesthis17 · 19/07/2017 00:09

He made the comment to his mum and she changed, there was no nasty comments in it, he is a very nice young man, who wasn't comfortable with her dressed like that, and she loved him enough to want him to be happy when they were out together,

I still think 90% of your are trying too shame me and say live and let live, but would never do this. as none of you have said hell yes I do this. Well once of you has,,,,

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.