Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Pink and blue at NURSERY

228 replies

creepymumweirdo · 28/06/2017 13:44

WTF? Am I being thick/twattish here but why the hell would nursery do this?

They're thinking of having polo shirts for the kids so parents don't get upset if their kids clothes get messy (send your kid in scruffy clothes? Another issue). They have suggested pink polo shirts for girls and blue for boys. ConfusedHmm

Surely we're all trying to help kids break out of gender stereotypes not reinforce them? At 1 year old!

Some girls might genuinely like pink (I'm not one of them) and boys blue but why differentiate at all? Just pick a nice neutral colour that washes well and have done.

I've got my propper outraged face on right now. A rare thing.

AIBU?

OP posts:
Fruitcocktail6 · 28/06/2017 13:45

YANBU. Absolutely no need for it at all.

TronaldDump · 28/06/2017 13:46

Our nursery has pink bags for the girls and blue/green for the boys. It's a pile of shite, like a child cares what colour bag they have at 1 year old! I raised it once but they don't care and I couldn't face the fight. Which doesn't say much about me, does it? Depressing.

Isadora2007 · 28/06/2017 13:46

Yanbu. The preschool polos ive seen have been red or yellow. The shared waterproofs and sunhats are red or navy.
There is no need for bloody pink and blue nonsense at all.

waitforitfdear · 28/06/2017 13:47

How odd.

CheapAndCheerful100 · 28/06/2017 13:48

I can see why you would find it annoying but it's not something I would get worked up over. It's a top they will probably get covered in crap in anyway. Won't be pink or blue for long if you see what I mean?
If you are that upset ask the nursery for neutral colours instead e.g yellow/green?

napmeistergeneral · 28/06/2017 13:49

YANBU. Lazy and unnecessary. Say something!

user1472334322 · 28/06/2017 13:49

My son's nursery has green or yellow tshirts none of this pink and blue rubbish! I'm with you op! What does a 1 year old care? There must be colours that relate more to the nursery? That's why my son's has green and yellow.

Ciderandskatesdontmix · 28/06/2017 13:51

YANBU. Why the need for the girls and boys to have different colours at all, never mind gender stereotypical ones? Plus the pink ones will look really grubby in no time, it would make more sense to have dark coloured ones such as navy or green.

TeenAndTween · 28/06/2017 13:51

YANBU. One colour like red/green/yellow. Same for all.
Or a choice of colours.

Grilledaubergines · 28/06/2017 13:52

cant see the point. Why not just stick them all in the same colour? Why do they need to be differentiated? Weird. All in pink, or all in blue.

PinkHeart5911 · 28/06/2017 13:53

They should have 1 colour for all children something red/yellow/green but I don't really understand why parents would moan about messy clothes who is sending a child to nursery in best clothing?

FellOutOfBed2wice · 28/06/2017 13:54

Our nursery has a uniform and it's a nice gender neutral yellow. I would not be happy about gender stereotype bullshit like that.

KatieM8585 · 28/06/2017 13:55

YANBU. There is ENOUGH of this kind of nonsense in children's toys, clothes etc etc etc already. Do any of the other parents share your view?

Notreallyarsed · 28/06/2017 13:57

Our nursery has a choice of colours (white why the fuck, various shades of blue and green, red, yellow and purple for the polos/jumpers/jackets) which I love. DD and DS2 are in the same size so I just buy shitloads of them and they wear what's clean and ironed that day. Pink and blue enforced is ridiculous.

Waggamamma · 28/06/2017 13:57

Yanbu! Our local preschool have a choice of dark purple or turquoise polos and sweatshirts, plenty boys wear purple and girls wear turquoise. It's not a problem,

I think the purple is nicer so will be getting those for my boy.

Unihorn · 28/06/2017 13:58

That would irritate me! My DSD is 7 and has said multiple times how she's the only girl who likes blue and all the girls in her class like pink because it's a girl's colour. It make me sad!

wondering23 · 28/06/2017 14:01

That is odd.

My sister has twin girls and when they were small one loved pink and the other loved blue. The one that loved pink also used to say that her sister was a little girl and that she was a little boy! Just goes to show how gender stereotypes are drilled in to them later on.

My sister went on to have a little boy who once insisted on going to toddler group wearing glittery lipstick from the twins' face paint set Smile

Fruitcocktail6 · 28/06/2017 14:02

who is sending a child to nursery in best clothing?

You'd be suprised

Notreallyarsed · 28/06/2017 14:07

My sister went on to have a little boy who once insisted on going to toddler group wearing glittery lipstick from the twins' face paint set

Ds

Notreallyarsed · 28/06/2017 14:08

My sister went on to have a little boy who once insisted on going to toddler group wearing glittery lipstick from the twins' face paint set

DS2 got a lovely sparkly manicure at the nursery fun day yesterday, with added sparkles. DD refused their offer saying she wanted to play instead of getting her nails done. One of the dads snidely commented on DS2s nails to which I replied "he's 3 get a bloody grip. He likes sparkles and bright colours, what's the problem?"

Notreallyarsed · 28/06/2017 14:09

Oh and DS2 hugged our glittery wtaf was I thinking it gets everywhere Christmas tree last year and went to nursery sparkling like Liberace!

LovePeaceAndHarmony · 28/06/2017 14:10

YANBU

Coddiwomple · 28/06/2017 14:13

they should pull all the children in brown clothing and be done with it Hmm

Bear2014 · 28/06/2017 14:18

This is stupid on so many levels. If you're going to provide polo shirts, just make them all the same colour?! Also, with 2 years' nursery experience under our belts, we never send DD in good clothes and always send at least 2 spare sets of equally scruffy clothes. They have a mud kitchen, FFS.

Maryann1975 · 28/06/2017 14:18

I'd buy your dd a blue one and tell them you didn't realise girls were only allowed pink.
The nurseries round here have yellow, green, red, turquoise or blue tshirts. One colour for all children no gender expectations, how ridiculous.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.