Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Pink and blue at NURSERY

228 replies

creepymumweirdo · 28/06/2017 13:44

WTF? Am I being thick/twattish here but why the hell would nursery do this?

They're thinking of having polo shirts for the kids so parents don't get upset if their kids clothes get messy (send your kid in scruffy clothes? Another issue). They have suggested pink polo shirts for girls and blue for boys. ConfusedHmm

Surely we're all trying to help kids break out of gender stereotypes not reinforce them? At 1 year old!

Some girls might genuinely like pink (I'm not one of them) and boys blue but why differentiate at all? Just pick a nice neutral colour that washes well and have done.

I've got my propper outraged face on right now. A rare thing.

AIBU?

OP posts:
BouleBaker · 28/06/2017 23:43

My sons favourite colour was pink. Then he went to school and within a week is fabourite colour was "light red". It's a bloody colour, everyone should be free to choose what the fuck they like and not be told what they like.

DancingLedge · 28/06/2017 23:50

A uniform? At ONE!!!?

LovelyBranches · 29/06/2017 00:13

I have a two year old in nursery and I could possibly be convinced on a uniform, preferably a white polo shirt so I could bleach the shit out of it when it gets messy.

The suggestion for pink or blue is a crock of shite though. My baby girl is wearing lots of her brothers old clothes, not that he had many baby blues but they look especially beautiful on her as she has dark hair and olive skin. Its absolutely ridiculous to consider her not wearing perfectly lovely baby clothes because they are for another gender.

LostInTheColonies · 29/06/2017 04:55

Imagine the conniptions if this sort of thing was going on:

Muddy puddle sliding fun

No need to worry about the colour of the polo shirts - wouldn't be able to tell Grin

SwedishToast · 29/06/2017 07:14

My children's school uniform is purple!! Oh no! I was unaware that my ds's penis would be falling off coddiwomple. Hmm

There are no gender differences at that age. There are genital differences, and they'd don't need to be highlighted by a shirt. Actually at dc3's nursery they'll all use the same toilets too

How bizarre to make children wear a shirt that signifies 'penis' or 'vagina'.

SwedishToast · 29/06/2017 07:18

Op by sons old nursery seemed reasonablely right on about getting all the children to play all the toys, but then at their leaving ceremony they spoke about each child.

"Billy is a man's man, chasing the girls and friend to all the boys ''

"Janey is a girly girl who always has the perfect dress on"

I was furious but it was too late. The gender stuff he'd picked up (that I blamed on other children) was obviously from nursery.

workingfromhomerules · 29/06/2017 08:05

I know I am in the minority here but I think it is a nice tradition to have pink for girls and blue for boys. I honestly don't think it matters and it's the parents making it a problem -do the kids really care?

Any gender issues children have as they grow up won't be because they wore pink for a girl or blue for a boy.

JacquesHammer · 29/06/2017 08:24

it is a nice tradition to have pink for girls and blue for boys

It is barely a tradition. Pink used to be considered a "male" colour

WomblingThree · 29/06/2017 08:24

@FreakinScaryCaaw, but it obviously is the colour, or why are you justifying that your son is "macho" yet still likes purple. And you wouldn't care if he was "camp" (boak) which implies that actually you still think it's girly.

Colour does not have any gendered characteristics, and yet still this thread is full of people saying "my boy wears/won't wear pink" and "my girl loves blue" and "green and yellow are gender neutral". Can none of you see the irony in these statements? Whilst trying to deny gender differences you are reinforcing the ingrained stereotypes.

RiverTam · 29/06/2017 08:26

But it's not a traditional. Traditionally, blue was for girls.

Coddi can you not see that what you are saying, and doing, is reinforcing the negativity around being perceived as feminine? That it's bad for boys (and for a lot of parents, girls too) to be seen as feminine in any way, shape or form? Do you think that's actually doing any children of either sex and good at all? Do you think the idea that boys have to be strong, silent types does them any favours? That for a girl to be feminine is to reduce her to being an airhead? (There's a big difference being choosing feminine and having it forced in you, which is what this nursery is doing.)

And yes, some schools have purple uniform. Would you refuse to send your son to such a school? In case he became girly?

RiverTam · 29/06/2017 08:27

Scuse typos.

workingfromhomerules · 29/06/2017 08:39

Tradition as the majority of people know it then Hmm

53rdWay · 29/06/2017 08:41

it is a nice tradition to have pink for girls and blue for boys. I honestly don't think it matters and it's the parents making it a problem -do the kids really care?

It's a problem because it's segregating them by gender from infancy, and because it's setting them up for a world in which some things are "for girls" and some things are "for boys". Take a look at almost any toy shop - what kind of toys are pink? What kind of toys are blue? What kind of message is that sending to children from a very young and impressionable age?

There is no practical reason you'd need to know which kids in a nursery class were girls/boys at a glance. No reason to separate them out. So why do it? How about "white kids in orange, Asian kids in green"? "Rich kids in white, poor kids in mauve"?

Willow2017 · 29/06/2017 08:46

Of course it matters. Why should one colour only be for girls and one for boys? Who decided that?

Seeing as the 'traditional' colour swapped around relatively recently it could change again next year. It's just a colour. It has no significance of what's between your legs at all.

Why is it only kids who are subject to this? Why dont ALL women only wear pink and ALL men only wear blue? Why are there pink jumpers and shirts in our local menswear shops and blue clothes in the women's? Maybe because we know that they are only colours and we can wear what we like and what suits us? We aren't forced to be a stereotype by someone else?

workingfromhomerules · 29/06/2017 08:53

It doesn't matter. It hasn't mattered for years. Did it really do us any harm? Or any child any harm? Really?

It's just a bit of fun, it's quite sweet really - no idea why it has to be made into something it is not.

LaPampa · 29/06/2017 08:56

I'm appalled at this - why on earth would the nursery need to be able to identify which sex a child is at aged 1-3. I think I would be removing my child out of concern of what else they were subtly enforcing.

workingfromhomerules · 29/06/2017 08:59

My biggest issue is not the pink/blue thing - it's why would you put nursery kids in uniform? Not really necessary imo.

RiverTam · 29/06/2017 09:10

Aargh, message eaten. Go in to any you shop and look at whats aimed at girls. No science, no engineering, no discovery based toys. Unicorns and fairies, beauty-based toys, so many things that tell girls and boys that girls' role is to be passive and decorative.

And it didn't affect me because this didn't exist in the 1970s. By and large, girls and boys wore the same clothes and played with the same toys. Of course there was gender stereotyping but I truly think thst as far as childhood is concerned we have not progressed from the 70s at all.

Unihorn · 29/06/2017 09:46

working well yes it does do harm because it makes children think they can't like something or do something because it's for a certain gender.

My DSD always tells me that the boys make fun of her on the yard because she wants to join in with football and that she's the only one that likes blue because it's a boy's colour and she's a tomboy. She is 6, she should have no concept of this.

As a PP stated, children grow up thinking certain job roles are for men or for women and it's just not necessary for them to have that view so early on. They shouldn't be "segregated" at 1!

Willow2017 · 29/06/2017 09:52

If you work in childcare you quickly see that kids dont automatically chose 'girls' & 'boys' toys they both play with everything. Boys love playing at being a dad with the dolls, taking them out in the buggy etc. What annoys me is that all the baby care stuff is pink and in the 'girl' toy aisle. Why no other colours why not blue, green? Because it's a 'girls' toy, boys aren't expected to do child care in play. None of the kids care what colour things are so why do they persist with only pink stuff in the 'girls toy' aisle? Why are they 'girls' toys?

Continually reinforcing the separation of girl and boy toys by colour and therefor their role in life is appalling in 2017

Coddiwomple · 29/06/2017 09:53

My boy is raised to be proud of being a boy, and my girl proud to be a girl. I refuse to make them ashamed of their gender and to look at what they are. It doesn't mean they can't do exactly the same, they can, sports studies and jobs are available to them just the same.

The older children are being told to use toilets at nursery, they are already using different ones for obvious reasons, so why pretend they are the same when they are not? My kids are not gender neutral and I refuse to give them issues by pretending they are. It's just so sad.

Coddiwomple · 29/06/2017 09:56

*being taught Blush

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Unihorn · 29/06/2017 09:57

What does that mean though Coddi in what ways do they manifest their pride in their genders..? And I'm not being goady, just intrigued.

Notreallyarsed · 29/06/2017 10:01

Coddiwomple while I think that obsessive gender neutrality is damaging (i.e. Parents forcing their own issues onto their kids) I think your attitude is baffling. My kids are being raised to be proud of who they are, but I don't cram my DD into princess dresses and my wee boys into superhero costumes and football strips. They wear what they like (as long as its age appropriate) and can choose their likes and dislikes. Forcing things on to kids either way is just a bit odd.

RiverTam · 29/06/2017 10:01

What does being proud of being a boy or a girl mean? I don't think anyone on here advocates being ashamed of your sex. But young children are pretty much gender neutral, gender (ie masculine/feminine, not sex) is something that's imposed on us, it's not innate.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.