Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Pink and blue at NURSERY

228 replies

creepymumweirdo · 28/06/2017 13:44

WTF? Am I being thick/twattish here but why the hell would nursery do this?

They're thinking of having polo shirts for the kids so parents don't get upset if their kids clothes get messy (send your kid in scruffy clothes? Another issue). They have suggested pink polo shirts for girls and blue for boys. ConfusedHmm

Surely we're all trying to help kids break out of gender stereotypes not reinforce them? At 1 year old!

Some girls might genuinely like pink (I'm not one of them) and boys blue but why differentiate at all? Just pick a nice neutral colour that washes well and have done.

I've got my propper outraged face on right now. A rare thing.

AIBU?

OP posts:
PurpleTraitor · 28/06/2017 14:20

Pink is a gender neutral colour. Blue is a gender neutral colour. Green is a gender neutral colour. Colours don't have genders. So the sentence 'gender neutral colour' is utterly pointless because you may as well just say, you know, colour.

It wouldn't matter if they wanted to put the girls in rainbow stripes and the boys in rainbow spots or vice versa, it is the differentiation that makes it ridiculous.

YANBU OP I'd not go along with it.

drspouse · 28/06/2017 14:20

The nursery attached to DS school also has a range of colours, not all the girls are in pink but Mr Mac wears pink.

DD goes to a private nursery and one of the girls, whose DM I know and who is lovely, was in a sticky-out Cath Kidston dress today. I can only assume a) she insisted and b) it's second hand.

MrsOverTheRoad · 28/06/2017 14:21

Oh I HATE nursery kids in those ugly polo shirts....and they just get those messy anyway...same as any clothes!

Why not let them wear any old thing? They look much more individual in their own clothes...they've YEARS ahead to wear uniforms!

WomblingThree · 28/06/2017 14:23

Colours themselves though have no intrinsic gender stereotypes. If it was green for girls and yellow for boys would you even have posted a thread? Probably not.

What I would object to is the need to segregate them, rather than the colours themselves. Nursery is way too bloody early to start reinforcing differences.

Wixi · 28/06/2017 14:24

Our preschool had polo shirts for the kids to wear - they were red! My daughter hates pink and would not wear it, blue on the other hand is find, as is red. Totally unreasonable in this day and age.

WomblingThree · 28/06/2017 14:24

X-posted with @PurpleTraitor

SpeakingMyMind · 28/06/2017 14:28

It's a colour, get over it.

minisoksmakehardwork · 28/06/2017 14:29

Yanbu. The ONLY colours schoom uniform should be in are those dark enough to hide the inevitable stains from paint which doesn't come out or the drywipe pens they use for mark making.

Mind, I am also the mother who complained when her twin children's reading certificates were pink for girls and blue for boys. Especially as at the time dtson was going through a massive 'I'm not using x as it has pink on it' and I was trying to explain that it is just a flipping colour.

diddl · 28/06/2017 14:29

"My son's nursery has green or yellow tshirts "

So still a different colour for the genders?

Why not one colour for all?

Elendon · 28/06/2017 14:29

At one year old babies do not know colours so this is an adult led initiative that simply serves to cement gender stereotyping. I would be worried about this on several levels. I would not want my son to be triage'd into boy's activities and the same would be applied if it was my daughter.

I would not be happy with this. You are presumably paying them a lot of money and your voice should be heard. Tell them you do not want your child in the colour they choose. Lose the T shirt always and get them to replace it.

MacarenaFerreiro · 28/06/2017 14:29

Everyone at the pre-school my kids went to had a red polo shirt. No differentiation for boys and girls.

RiverTam · 28/06/2017 14:31

So, both gender stereotyping and uniform from the age of 1. Just no, on both counts. If parents are stupid enough to send their DC to nursery in their best clothes that's up to them. As for the pink and blue, words fail me. That would actually make me question whether or not the nursery already treat boys and girls differently.

Time to ask some questions.

pinkyflower · 28/06/2017 14:37

pink and blue are nice colours, as long as its not enforced who has to wear what!

When my DD was small, you couldn't get 'girls' clothes with dogs on them, so we shopped in the 'boys' section! it was all about the puppies for us!! Even when she was dressed head to toe in pink we would get asked if she was a boy or girl (very short hair, it just wouldn't grow!!)

NotTooWorried · 28/06/2017 14:56

Our nursery has a choice of about five colours, for everyone.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler · 28/06/2017 15:01

I can't understand why they don't just pick one colour? Confused

Just blue, just pink, just yellow - whatever. Why the need for differentiation?

Morphene · 28/06/2017 15:02

I would totally complain. It is terrible to enforce gender distinction unnecessarily in general - 10x worse in an educational setting.

Also for whoever asked I 100% would feel the same if it was green for girls and yellow for boys.

One colour for all, or a choice of colours for all are the only acceptable options.

VestalVirgin · 28/06/2017 15:05

Disgusting. Definitely complain. Why would they mark a toddler's sex? So that a pedophile can easier pick his preferred kind of victim out of the crowd?
(I know that's probably not the intention, but pedophiles are the only ones whose life is made easier by this. The nursery staff won't get anything out of it, except perhaps a feeling of satisfaction that girls are groomed into gender roles and oppression.)

Pink is a gender neutral colour.

No, I wouldn't say so. Gender is a social construct, and pink is a symbol for that social construct.

There is, of course, no connection between pink and the female sex.
(And not so very long ago, blue used to be the "feminine" colour)

Sorry to be nitpicky, but terminology is important here.

creepymumweirdo · 28/06/2017 15:27

PedophilesHmm That's confused me.

Differentiating them is one issue. I'd be annoyed about that in itself.

But blue and pink are colours often used in gender specific ways. Gender is a social construct and these colours are ones we currently use to build it. That why, when I go to buy my son clothes, they're all flippin blue.

It's not just a colour. That's like saying a symbol has no meaning, it's just a picture of something.

So, while I agree that colours can't have a gender, I think for the purposes of articulating my POV in this instance.

OP posts:
NotTooWorried · 28/06/2017 15:31

I would complain, it's just unnecessary.

FaintlyBaffled · 28/06/2017 15:32

DS had yellow. It really was an assault on the eyes but now I count ourselves lucky Grin

FuckingSausageFingers · 28/06/2017 15:34

I wouldn't actually send my DC to a nursery that did this, irrespective of any other great qualities. If they don't understand the damage that gender stereotyping does to kids from such a young age, I don't want them looking after my kids.

Maybe send them this link op if you think there's time for them to change their minds: lettoysbetoys.org.uk/whats-wrong-with-pink-and-blue/

creepymumweirdo · 28/06/2017 15:45

SausageFingers I never would have expected them to do something like this. It's really weird! I'm a bit gutted. I feel like I don't know them as well as I thought i did.

OP posts:

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

YogaAndRum · 28/06/2017 15:50

I don't think that it would bother me that much

BasketOfDeplorables · 28/06/2017 15:50

Just no. Different colours for boys and girls is ridiculous. There is no difference between a boy and a girl at 1.

notfromstepford · 28/06/2017 16:07

What RiverTam said.

When eldest DS was at nursery, they had a dressing up box, sometimes he'd be a fireman, sometimes he had fairy wings, a tutu and was waving a wand when I picked him up.
They were just children - not identified as being male or female which is the way it should be at a nursery.

I'd be really annoyed too.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.