Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Pink and blue at NURSERY

228 replies

creepymumweirdo · 28/06/2017 13:44

WTF? Am I being thick/twattish here but why the hell would nursery do this?

They're thinking of having polo shirts for the kids so parents don't get upset if their kids clothes get messy (send your kid in scruffy clothes? Another issue). They have suggested pink polo shirts for girls and blue for boys. ConfusedHmm

Surely we're all trying to help kids break out of gender stereotypes not reinforce them? At 1 year old!

Some girls might genuinely like pink (I'm not one of them) and boys blue but why differentiate at all? Just pick a nice neutral colour that washes well and have done.

I've got my propper outraged face on right now. A rare thing.

AIBU?

OP posts:
Headofthehive55 · 29/06/2017 14:35

Hmm. I'm forced to wear blue at work.

I think it's just an easy way to split a group. M/F is usually a fifty fifty ish split. That's why it's used such a lot.
I can't imagine dressing a child in pink will cause any damage whatsoever.

drspouse · 29/06/2017 14:35

I won't dress my DD in blue or any other colour
So your DD wears exclusively pink? Every single garment?
Well I can see how that makes it easy to buy clothes in the supermarket but what are you going to do if her school uniform isn't pink?
Either I'm stupid for misunderstanding you or you are, genuinely, one of the daftest posters I've come across in a while.

workingfromhomerules · 29/06/2017 14:35

In supermarket and thought I'd send this photo. Pretty much a mixture of colours here. Pink section, blue section and mixed.

Pink and blue at NURSERY
Pink and blue at NURSERY
53rdWay · 29/06/2017 14:37

I can't imagine dressing a child in pink will cause any damage whatsoever.

I recommend maybe reading some of the large number of earlier posts dealing with how pinkification does cause bad effects?

53rdWay · 29/06/2017 14:40

Here's a good one to start: Let Toys Be Toys, lettoysbetoys.org.uk/whats-wrong-with-pink-and-blue/

Morphene · 29/06/2017 14:40

Its funny how people who think pink 'is just a colour' and it 'doesn't do any harm' would never dream of putting a male baby in a pink baby grow isn't it?

There was a whole thread lambasting someone for putting her baby DS in dresses...but on here its all...oh dresses are fine they don't do any harm....

Some people are so stupid it hurts.

VestalVirgin · 29/06/2017 14:50

Its funny how people who think pink 'is just a colour' and it 'doesn't do any harm' would never dream of putting a male baby in a pink baby grow isn't it?

Indeed.

The difference between using pink as colour like any other, and making girls wear pink while boys wear blue is about the same as decorating each child's clothes with a star, or just decorating the Jewish children's clothes with a star.
Stars are pretty! Just a very symbolic portrayal of far away celestial bodies! Nothing bad about it.

Yes, gender segregation by way of shirts prevents innocent boys from accidentally - oh, what terrible horror - befriending a girl.

Now, will someone on here dare to admit they view that as benefit of gender segregation?

Anyone here believes that girl cooties exist and are a terrible disease?

Headofthehive55 · 29/06/2017 14:52

ER my boy child had a pink pram....his, not to play with!

53rdWay · 29/06/2017 14:55

Then you can clearly see why "pink is for girls and blue is for boys" is pointless and stupid, yes?

drspouse · 29/06/2017 15:01

working we can't see your photo. But my point was that if you choose to only dress in pink, it is very easy to buy only pink in the supermarket.

head it is extremely limiting to children to suggest that they only play/interact with children of the same gender. Why would you do that as a daily/regular method to segregate children? Especially at nursery age.

Headofthehive55 · 29/06/2017 15:01

Unfortunately I suffered with the push towards getting girls into STEM - and the encouragement away from stereotypical girls choices, so yes I'm very happy to encourage my girls to take subjects that are more popular with girls - if that if what pleases them.

RiverTam · 29/06/2017 15:03

drspouse on phone so can't c+p but you've taken that quote out of context, look at the beginning of that sentence.

53rdWay · 29/06/2017 15:05

Getting girls into STEM does not mean 'insisting that girls do STEM and nothing else' (I mean, maybe if your school was weird it did, but as a philosophy that's not what it's about). It's about girls getting to choose from a full range of options.

I'm very happy to encourage my girls to take subjects that are more popular with girls - if that if what pleases them.

But that is what everyone is saying! Nobody has said "this nursery is wrong because girls should never wear pink," they're saying "this nursery is wrong because they're insisting girls wear pink and boys wear blue". Nobody's trying to banish pink, or blue for that matter.

Headofthehive55 · 29/06/2017 15:47

It's not about insisting, it's about presenting the choices as equal.
I'm afraid I was presented with stereotypical girls choices as being less worthy, or valuable.

IDoDaChaCha · 29/06/2017 15:53

My daughter has been assumed to be a boy many times due to not being dressed head to toe in pink frills. I thought the pink/blue idea was old hat, surprised at the nursery. They should evolve

ElusiveDuck · 29/06/2017 15:59

I'll admit I am very guilty of assuming the sex of a baby based on what they are wearing. It's something I'm trying to work on.

VestalVirgin · 29/06/2017 16:07

I'm afraid I was presented with stereotypical girls choices as being less worthy, or valuable

Well, typical women's jobs are paid less. That's a fact. And it is something we should question, of course.

But typcial women's jobs have always been less valued, and always been paid less. Because we live in a patriarchy.

Typical "girl choices" being valued less is not the fault of feminism.
Trying to get women into the jobs that are paid better as of now is the obvious way to financial equality. (Probably not a sustainable way, since as long as sexism exists, once the job becomes predominantly female, it will be paid worse - we can see this even now; in countries where the gender stereotyping is different, professions are paid much worse than elsewhere because they are seen as being for women)

The fact remains, it isn't feminism that made "girl things" worth less. It is patriarchy.
It is just that you notice how little "girl things" are valued when girls have a choice to do the more valued "boy things" instead.

It is like if you live in a place where everyone is poor, and suddenly one of your neighbours gets rich. That doesn't make you poorer. And people richer than you have always existed. But because that person now lives next to you, you notice for the first time.

DeleteOrDecay · 29/06/2017 16:09

Again, the Head of State is a female monarch, the PM is a female.

Well, there we go then. Gender inequality doesn't exist because we have a queen and a female prime minister, who knew?

You sound like you have an axe to grind that really doesn't have much choice to do with the topic of this thread to be honest.

DeleteOrDecay · 29/06/2017 16:11

Ignore the word 'choice' in that last post, no idea where it came from.

DeleteOrDecay · 29/06/2017 16:13

Talk to the men wearing a suit shoes and socks for work in the recent heat wave while we can stroll around with bare legs and a tshirt

Poor menzGrin

ILoveDolly · 29/06/2017 16:31

@vestalvirgin It's purpose is the enforcement of societal norms which, while harmful to the individual, creates the homogeneous society so beloved of right wing totalitarian states. I'll get my coat (and tin hat).

Headofthehive55 · 29/06/2017 16:34

And that's what happened to me vestal I don't think it's reasonable to try and get females into any kind of job to suit an agenda.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

VestalVirgin · 29/06/2017 16:53

I don't think it's reasonable to try and get females into any kind of job to suit an agenda.

So, feminists wanting you to be able to earn more money is an "agenda" and you despise it?

I repeat: Your feeling that the "feminine jobs" were worth less is not produced by feminism. It is a fact of living in patriarchy.

Do you want girls to be told that they can only have girl jobs, so that you don't have to be jealous of them getting more respect by entering traditionally male professions?
Surely, you cannot seriously want that?

I don't see how one could offer girls the option to enter a traditionally male job without them intuitively understanding that those jobs are considered more worthy by society at large.

I mean, the pay difference is pretty obvious.

I am in a badly paid typical woman's job, and it would never occur to me to blame feminism for me feeling badly about the low reputation of my job.
Yes, if no woman could or would become anything better paid than a secretary, I might feel better about myself, but I am aware it is not just about me, and that no other woman earning more than me would not change anything about the fact that MEN earn a shitload more money than me.

jellyfrizz · 29/06/2017 16:55

I don't think it's reasonable to try and get females into any kind of job to suit an agenda.

So why cling on to gender stereotypes which push women towards low paid 'caring' jobs suiting the patriarchal agenda?

People being pushed any way because of their sex is not good so lets stop stereotyping from such a young age and let children choose what they are naturally good at/have an interest in.

Headofthehive55 · 29/06/2017 17:23

earning more money is brilliant, but not at the expense of having to do a job and degree you didn't want instead of one you were interested in. That's what I mean about pushing an agenda.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.