Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Pink and blue at NURSERY

228 replies

creepymumweirdo · 28/06/2017 13:44

WTF? Am I being thick/twattish here but why the hell would nursery do this?

They're thinking of having polo shirts for the kids so parents don't get upset if their kids clothes get messy (send your kid in scruffy clothes? Another issue). They have suggested pink polo shirts for girls and blue for boys. ConfusedHmm

Surely we're all trying to help kids break out of gender stereotypes not reinforce them? At 1 year old!

Some girls might genuinely like pink (I'm not one of them) and boys blue but why differentiate at all? Just pick a nice neutral colour that washes well and have done.

I've got my propper outraged face on right now. A rare thing.

AIBU?

OP posts:
BikeRunSki · 28/06/2017 16:13

I'd be livid
Can the nursery staff not tell the difference between boys and girls or something?

Either have a uniform (imo a bad idea), or not. Boys and girls do not need to be categorised.

VestalVirgin · 28/06/2017 16:21

I wouldn't actually send my DC to a nursery that did this, irrespective of any other great qualities. If they don't understand the damage that gender stereotyping does to kids from such a young age, I don't want them looking after my kids.

Good point. They might give in regarding this, but one has to wonder what other weird ideas they have in their heads. You can't be there and watch what they tell the children all the time.

Helloitsme88 · 28/06/2017 16:23

Your nursery is weird. I'd buy white and put them in that. Or navy blue

Willow2017 · 28/06/2017 17:10

When my kids were at nursery 12 years ago there was no 'pink & 'blue' all kids wore the same colour polo shirts. All the kids played with the same stuff, the girls learned how to take video recorders, radios etc to bits and use hammers and nails same as the boys and the boys played dress up, 'house' etc with the girls. I cant believe they are still doing this in places today.

I would be asking them if they were stuck in the 1970s? And what would they do if one of the boys wanted a pink top or vica versa? Would it confuse them?

terrylene · 28/06/2017 17:24

So, on the practical level, having put all the boys in blue shirts, and the girls in pink and stereotyped them.......if they have run out of blue, do they put a pink shirt on a boy or let him mess up his normal clothes Hmm and what would the boy think about it. (Or blue on a girl - although for some reason they seem more tolerant, but I am sure I would have been Angry to be labelled a boy at playgroup).

RedHelenB · 28/06/2017 17:29

That would have been a big no No for Ofsed inspections.

creepymumweirdo · 28/06/2017 17:38

It's completely impractical! The colours they suggested would show up all the stains. And what about people with several children at nursery. No hand me downs for siblings of different sexes.

The nursery doesn't seem weird. Where we live is pretty weird tbh, I chose the nursery because it was less weird than the other places.

Loads of other mums have been all "oooh, yay, I can get precious princess petal a pink one!".SadGin

OP posts:
RiverTam · 28/06/2017 17:40

Oh dear, OP. I'm guessing they're the ones sending little Amelie in in a party frock rather than a t shirt and leggings.

What I can't understand is why the nursery thought that this was a better solution than simply emailing the parents reminding them that clothing needs to be fit for all kinds of messy play.

creepymumweirdo · 28/06/2017 17:47

Yup, you guessed it! Now because they insist on sending Fifi in to nursery in a poofy frock she can't crawl in or get dirty, we all have to shell out for vile polo shirts in a stupid colour.

OP posts:
BasketOfDeplorables · 28/06/2017 18:04

I feel your pain OP, I'm basically seen as using my 1 year old as a social experiment because I let her choose her own hat and she picked a dinosaur one. Luckily this is just at stay and play and we can just go to the park in summer.

creepymumweirdo · 28/06/2017 18:10

Dinosaurs?! For a GIRL? Shock

OP posts:
BasketOfDeplorables · 28/06/2017 18:27

Would the nursery consider one plain colour football type shirt for everyone, with PENIS or VAGINA where the player name usually goes? You could add XY and XX where the numbers go.

Elendon · 28/06/2017 18:35

what's wrong with dinosaurs for a girl?

Why are you worried about stains on your children's clothes.

Your child is a year old. If you are this distressed about it how are you going to cope with primary school? (I don't even want to think about secondary, because it's a nightmare, a nightmare I tell's ye!)

Elendon · 28/06/2017 18:40

There are lots of boys who go into nursery in designer clothes (and probably dinosaur clothes if they wish it - but I doubt it at 12 months old).

Goodness little James went into nursery in his Burberry and it got dusted on! Help!!

deplorabelle · 28/06/2017 18:42

My children didn't wear new clothing at all until they went to school. (Unless someone bought it as a gift). I saved perfectly good clothes from landfill by buying them from nearly new sales and charity shops for pennies. I'd be so angry to have to buy brand new tops of any colour but particularly pink and blue FFS!

creepymumweirdo · 28/06/2017 18:42

Elendon I was being sarcastic.

Basket that is definitely the way forward.

OP posts:
creepymumweirdo · 28/06/2017 18:46

The manager said today that some parents don't like their kids getting messy (yes, as 12 months) and some little girls are sent in skirts and dresses that make it hard for them to toddle s climb around without them getting in the way.

These polo shirts and sweatshirts would be nearly a tenner a pop. And unless you wash them every night, DS would need several. Just to wear at nursery! It's mental. I don't spend that much on his clothes. Lots of second hand and supermarket sale bargains in our house.

OP posts:
boolifooli · 28/06/2017 18:48

That's awful!

Elendon · 28/06/2017 18:55

A polo shirt over a frilly skirt and frilly dress will not make a difference though about the frilly getting in the way regarding the climbing.

I don't understand this reasoning. It seems silly.

What 12 month old climbs!

MsPassepartout · 28/06/2017 18:55

These polo shirts and sweatshirts would be nearly a tenner a pop

Shock seriously? £10 each??? I bought DS1 a new 2-pack of polo shirts for school from Asda recently and that was £2.50 for the pack, so £1.25 per polo shirt. Are they going to be insisting on fancy logoed ones?

But on the main point, YANBU. Completely unnecessary colour coding children's uniform by sex. And, I agree with pp who've said that pink/blue (and particularly pink) have cultural and social connotations that make it a more significant choice than just any other colour.

RiverTam · 28/06/2017 18:56

I would really register your objections with the manager, that's a lot of money which people won't want to spend when they can get a pack of 3 t shirts from the supermarket for £8. If I was an existing customer I would simply refuse to go with it. The manager sounds a bit flimfammy, to be honest. If it's a good nursery they'll have a waiting list so those who don't agree with their DC being active can sod off elsewhere.

Elendon · 28/06/2017 18:58

At 12 months old a child is most messy with regard to learning how to eat. Don't tell me they are still spoon fed! Plus they still shit and wee without compunction and no care for the nose of anyone else or whether it leaks.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

MiaowTheCat · 28/06/2017 19:38

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

madamginger · 28/06/2017 20:12

When mine were little the nursery had a navy blue uniform for all, it hid all multitude of dirt and pen.

JenziW · 28/06/2017 20:12

YANBU. This would annoy me very much if dd's nursery suggested this. And £10 each!!! No way. I don't pay that for a single nice shirt nevermind a plain polo I, or she, wouldn't pick.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.