My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

How to stop someone buying the house next door

256 replies

Anonandonandonandon · 17/09/2020 19:40

Entirely tongue in cheek, I intend to be neighbourly and lovely but...

Our neighbours are selling their house. It’s on a really quiet road, tucked away so that you’d never come down it if you weren’t a resident or visiting a resident. It’s a big reason we bought here.

On Tuesday I heard an almighty roaring noise that even my colleagues on zoom suggested I should investigate. I looked out of the window to see a very expensive car turning outside our house and driving off. Turns out the driver had been looking around next door.

Today I came home to find said very expensive car parked partially across my driveway, which was a bit annoying in itself. Must be a second viewing. Now I have visions of being woken up by an ostentatiously loud car every morning or late at night Sad and living next door to someone who feels the need for such an expensive and ostentatiously loud car

Any (also tongue in cheek) suggestions as to how I put them off? Grin

OP posts:
Branleuse · 17/09/2020 19:42

Put a sofa in your front garden and a fridge

CokeEnStock · 17/09/2020 19:42

Stick an old armchair out front and take it in turns to sit there drinking beer or summat. This could be fun if properly organised 😂

Twickerhun · 17/09/2020 19:43

Park, badly, a rust bucket, dented car on your drive (Borrow mine if you want). They won’t want their ostentatious expensive car to be in the same post code area as a crashed Up mess

CigarsofthePharoahs · 17/09/2020 19:45

If the car appears again put a copy of Watchtower magazine under the wiper.
You won't see them again.

tectonicplates · 17/09/2020 19:46

Do you know anyone who has a tired old car that looks terrible? Invite them over for a cup of tea.

tectonicplates · 17/09/2020 19:47

Next time they arrive, play some music really loudly. Preferably some terrible music.

BlodwynBludd · 17/09/2020 19:48

Leave empty cans of tenants across.the pavement outside and find a really overweight hairy man to wear a string vest and sit in the front garden burping.

Anonandonandonandon · 17/09/2020 19:48

@CigarsofthePharoahs

If the car appears again put a copy of Watchtower magazine under the wiper.
You won't see them again.

This is hilarious! Also very discreet so as not to damage my nice neighbour image Grin
OP posts:
Paddingtonthebear · 17/09/2020 19:50

Put up a fake camera and loads of “burglars beware - loose dog running around” and “smile you’re on camera thief” signs round the front of your house and on the lane to make it appear as if it’s well known crime spot 😂

Inthebleakmidwinteriwouldsing · 17/09/2020 19:50

This reminds me of the time our neighbours in Australia didn’t want anyone to buy the vacant block next door to them. Whenever someone came for a viewing they turned the radio up and got the vacuum cleaner going. They also attached a home-made sign to the big ‘for sale’ sign: BEWARE OF SNAKES. Grin

999LetsbyAvenue · 17/09/2020 19:52

Apply for planning permission to use your house for something. A nursery, a doggie day care and kennels, a car re-spraying business in the front garden, a rehabilitation centre for substance dependency or young offenders, a manure processing plant... the choice is yours.

You obviously don't have to carry out any of these, but they will be in the planning permission pipeline for ages and the solicitor's search will alert potential buyers.

Anonandonandonandon · 17/09/2020 19:53

@Paddingtonthebear

Put up a fake camera and loads of “burglars beware - loose dog running around” and “smile you’re on camera thief” signs round the front of your house and on the lane to make it appear as if it’s well known crime spot 😂

My parents have a really annoying sensor that shouts “Warning! you are being recorded by a security camera” if you set foot in the front garden. Wonder where they got it from...
OP posts:
Sunnydaysstillhere · 17/09/2020 19:54

Buy your dh a string vest. Hoist his pants down a bit and send him out the front...

Crystalknobs · 17/09/2020 19:54

If you see them again, go up to them and say you can’t wait for them to move in , you just know that you’ll be best friends, can’t wait to have them hear your new hobby of Icelandic throat singing m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yszg9fkW0Ls

Biancadelrioisback · 17/09/2020 19:56

Pop a note on the car saying how much you hope they buy the house as they can join your new cult! Go into a as much detail as possible and leave a cult badge or robe and details for their initiation

Biancadelrioisback · 17/09/2020 19:58

Or an OTT list of neighbourhood rules:

• no watering the grass on Sundays
  • weekly neighbourhood street gatherings (everyone being a new dish!)
  • no wearing blue as Derek at number 32 is colour blind and you all need to be considerate
  • no open windows. Ever.
Anonandonandonandon · 17/09/2020 19:58

@Biancadelrioisback

Pop a note on the car saying how much you hope they buy the house as they can join your new cult! Go into a as much detail as possible and leave a cult badge or robe and details for their initiation

Sure there must be something in the kids’ dressing up box Grin
OP posts:
Polyxena · 17/09/2020 20:02

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shinynewapple2020 · 17/09/2020 20:03

Play some loud music eg rap , death metal , speakers against the wall . Open your windows . Sing along .

Have a very loud argument with your DH , preferably out of doors whilst drunk .

If you have DC invite the whole class round and play water fights in the garden (lots of squealing ) . I suppose though ATM you can only invite 6 of them so choose the noisiest

Biancadelrioisback · 17/09/2020 20:05

Oh! Invites for the local amature choir that you host from your back garden every Sunday morning at 7?

Biancadelrioisback · 17/09/2020 20:06

"This neighborhood has a self imposed lockdown which we police with fines. Local authority is aware and fully supports us. We will continue this until COP 2021, hope you don't mind!"

Biancadelrioisback · 17/09/2020 20:07

Sorry, I'm proper into this...

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Cismyfatarse1 · 17/09/2020 20:07

Start planting pampas grass and offer them a bowl for their car keys.

TheSockMonster · 17/09/2020 20:07

Assuming they come as a couple, openly come on to one of them in front of their partner whilst saying how you hope to be able to welcome them to the neighbourhood soon. Wink suggestively as you say welcome.

Anonandonandonandon · 17/09/2020 20:09

@shinynewapple2020

Play some loud music eg rap , death metal , speakers against the wall . Open your windows . Sing along .

Have a very loud argument with your DH , preferably out of doors whilst drunk .

If you have DC invite the whole class round and play water fights in the garden (lots of squealing ) . I suppose though ATM you can only invite 6 of them so choose the noisiest

We mostly listen to “let it go” and “into the unknown” on repeat in this house! The kids singing that at the top of their voices has got to be off putting. We’re detached, so I’d probably need to join in to make it loud enough. That’s got to work!
OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.