My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Is anyone buying anything for black Friday?

155 replies

Bluewavescrashing · 23/11/2019 19:14

I've bought one thing only, a present for a big birthday for my mum, that is genuinely half price compared to the best price for the last few months. I think a lot of the deals aren't that great though. How about you?

OP posts:
TreacherousPissFlap · 24/11/2019 10:25

Bought DH a Jack Wolfskin coat yesterday which had £50 off - happy with that and can't really see it going any lower.

ActualHornist · 24/11/2019 10:43

Only if it’s on the Christmas lists.

Sometime DH put in the amazing basket has gone up by £5 so that’s helpful Confused

areyouafraidofthedark · 24/11/2019 10:45

I bought a new laptop and a echo dot.

dudsville · 24/11/2019 10:45

This should be in tech surely!

dudsville · 24/11/2019 10:46

Sorry, thought this was S&B!

toomuchfaster · 24/11/2019 10:58

DH has ordered FIL a lawn mower as we have Prime and it was a genuine bargain compared to JL and Currys. I've looked but not seen anything we need/want yet.

iklboo · 24/11/2019 11:07

A really nice whisky for DH half price.

BarbaraofSeville · 24/11/2019 11:19

Absolutely not. I don't buy into any of this consumerist bollocks

Your loss. I use the offers to buy things we need and use anyway for cheaper than the rest of the year. I'm still using last year's Black Friday dishwasher tablets from Morrisons - fancy Fairy ones for less than normal ones from Aldi, and I've just bought 2 year's worth of flea and worm treatments for the cats on 2 for 1, which is an astounding offer for something that's usually a fairly standard price.

Have also got DPs Christmas present on a good deal and a load of discounted and free cat products from Zooplus.

Obviously not cheaper than sitting in a dark empty cave, but I like to make my money go as far as possible.

ineedto · 24/11/2019 11:28

I'm on the look out for 2 smart TVs. Will hunt today.

EveryFlightBeginsWithAFall · 24/11/2019 11:30

I got a dot and a firestick

gumdrop2 · 24/11/2019 11:38

I'm hoping j can find the Lol doll maze down cheaper than £100 and a pair of trainers for my partner cheaper than £145 so far no luck Hmm

Slumberly · 24/11/2019 12:01

@BarbaraofSeville Your loss. I use the offers to buy things we need and use anyway for cheaper than the rest of the year. I'm still using last year's Black Friday dishwasher tablets from Morrisons - fancy Fairy ones for less than normal ones from Aldi, and I've just bought 2 year's worth of flea and worm treatments for the cats on 2 for 1, which is an astounding offer for something that's usually a fairly standard price. Have also got DPs Christmas present on a good deal and a load of discounted and free cat products from Zooplus. Obviously not cheaper than sitting in a dark empty cave, but I like to make my money go as far as possible.

• Don't have a dishwasher
  • Don't have cats
  • DH & I buy each other books from charity shops

The things you listed are not in any way necessities. They're exactly the sort of unnecessary consumerist bollocks I was talking about.

If we have money to spare, far from sitting in 'a dark empty cave', we spend any money we have on travelling & days/weekends out. We go out/away as much as we possibly can. I find the idea of sitting in a house surrounded by hundreds of boxes of dishwasher tablets & discounted cat-flea-worm products exceptionally depressing.

I'm only home today because I'm working (& briefly procrastinating on Mumsnet).
FredaFox · 24/11/2019 12:05

Ooh @minou123 how do the bulbs work? These could be good for my mum, can you put them in any lamp?

FredaFox · 24/11/2019 12:06

I'm after a new Dyson for my mum, v11. (If she gets a good deal im having her v8)

NormaBean · 24/11/2019 12:18

@Slumberly why on earth click on, and “contribute” to, a thread about Black Friday deals then?

StopMakingATitOfUrselfNPissOff · 24/11/2019 12:26

@NormaBean so she can feel superior of course!

I'm getting an Echo for my dad's Christmas present. Was going to get him a dot anyway but the echo is a good price and I think he'll get more use out of one with a screen.

I also need a new toaster and frying pan so I've started looking for those too

Kaykay066 · 24/11/2019 12:29

I don’t get paid till Wednesday car has it’s mot on Friday so hopefully I’ll have some ££ left
Already bought 2 dots recently never thought to wait. I would only buy things I was going to but already though.
And good for you if you don’t buy into this consumerism go off on a day trip and leave the rest of us to our shopping.

orangeteal · 24/11/2019 12:34

I will buy another fire stick, they're so useful. And I have my eye on the Bobbi Brown major lip set.

user764329056 · 24/11/2019 12:37

Slumberly, am with you, mass consumerism and hype, the marketers’ wet dream

Soubriquet · 24/11/2019 12:41

I’ve already bought both the kids a new amazon fire tablet each for Christmas.

Curry’s have promised to refund the difference if it’s cheaper on Black Friday so I bought them already

MitziK · 24/11/2019 12:46

Finally found something.

DTwatCat #2's Bowels of Evil require very expensive nibbles, and I've just found the manufacturer offers online ordering in bulk (multiple packets so it still stays fresh). So I've just bought enough food to keep her arse end happy for the next six months with 20% off an already lower price with free delivery.

Gemma2019 · 24/11/2019 13:00

I did some Christmas shopping on Amazon. Bought a couple of echo dots, a Fitbit and a Ring doorbell with free echo dot.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

minou123 · 24/11/2019 13:05

FredaFox
Ooh @minou123 how do the bulbs work? These could be good for my mum, can you put them in any lamp?

@FredaFox - it looks very easy process. The lightbulbs look like normal ones, you can get screw and bayonet. They just have smart system inside. Then the echo automatically, through bluetooth, syncs up with them. You just need to say which rom the lightbulb is in.
I'm getting it delivered today, so will let you know later if the process is straight forward Grin

iklboo · 24/11/2019 13:05

DTwatCat #2's Bowels of Evil require very expensive nibbles, and I've just found the manufacturer offers online ordering in bulk (multiple packets so it still stays fresh). So I've just bought enough food to keep her arse end happy for the next six months with 20% off an already lower price with free delivery.

You know she's going to go off it now, don't you? Tis Moggy Law.

Slumberly · 24/11/2019 13:17

@NormaBean

slumberly why on earth click on, and “contribute” to, a thread about Black Friday deals then?

It's not a thread about Black Friday deals. Read the opening post & the thread title.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.