Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What have you splurged on that has been worth every penny?

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 29/06/2019 08:42

Recently bought a MacAir which is a thing of beauty and wonder. Am also gradually replacing cheap crockery with lovely Denby stuff.

I now buy good quality bras instead of M&S and more 'high end' makeup.

So I'm not talking houses, cars, horses etc. What have you bought/upgraded that you love so much more than the cheaper version and has been good value?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bunnyhop1502 · 29/06/2019 08:48

I bought some proper oak furniture for my sitting room. Not a scratch or dent even after four years of little people bashing about. Thank god for 0% finance options Smile

Please
or

CanBlondesWearMustard · 29/06/2019 08:51

A cordless Dyson. I actually want to 'hoover' now.

Please
or

Mokepon · 29/06/2019 08:52

My Miele hoover.
My plumbed in American style fridge freezer which I have to leave behind when I move in a few weeks wah!
Proper butter.
Nice pants instead of Primark ones.
Also decent make up and skincare.

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 29/06/2019 08:56

Yes, yes, yes to proper butter!

Furniture is a good one. I'm on the lookout for a really lovely bookcase!

Feeling your pain 're the fridge, Moke.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Spinnaret · 29/06/2019 08:56

A bean-to-cup coffee machine that I got on Black Friday, so only paid about £500 instead of the normal price of around £1200. I had been price watching for months so knew it was a genuine bargain. It gets used multiple times every day. 5 years old, looks as good as new.

Please
or

elasticfantastic · 29/06/2019 08:56

I've also gradually replaced all my crockery and cutlery with nice Denny stuff which I love! I feel like a proper grown up !! (I am 40 though...Grin)

Please
or

elasticfantastic · 29/06/2019 08:57

Denny?? Denby!

Please
or

OhWifey · 29/06/2019 08:57

A TomTom which directs you around the traffic, with lifetime updates and live traffic detection. It's saved us many many hours

Please
or

TheGirlWhoLived · 29/06/2019 09:00

I quite enjoy my le crueset dishes.... I feel a little bit happier every time I use them! Got a bargain too at TK Maxx so didn't pay through the nose!
Also typing on my MacBook Air, wouldn't use anything else Grin

Please
or

Smokeonthewater · 29/06/2019 09:01

spinaret do you mind me asking which bean to cup coffee maker?

I am thinking of buying a new hoover but was going to go for a Shark. What's the consensus? Shark, Miele or Dyson?

Please
or

RagingWhoreBag · 29/06/2019 09:01

Got a bean to cup coffee machine instead of my Tassimo. I’m sure the carbon footprint of producing a whole new machine far outweighs the manufacturing of the little plastic pods but at least now I don’t feel guilty every time I make a cup Grin and it just feels very decadent, it’s my little treat every morning. (And the Tassimo went to a good home). I also have a Dualit toaster which was a ludicrous amount at the time but has lasted me 20 years so far. At the time I was buying a new toaster and kettle every few months (dodgy electrics in my old house!) but this one endured.

On a less extravagant note - freshly squeezed orange juice. My local tesco has an orange press so you just pop the bottle underneath and pull the lever to fill your bottle up with juice straight from the fruit. It’s sooo good.

Please
or

sonjadog · 29/06/2019 09:02

My robot lawnmower. I only have a small lawn (about 4m x 8m) and could just use the manual mower and it was pure laziness that led me to get the robot mower, but I love it. I find I use the back garden a lot more now because I don't sit there thinking that I really should go mow the lawn. It was worth every penny.

Please
or

cocodash · 29/06/2019 09:03

Mac foundation and Plouise base for eyes !!! Only tend to use it for special events or going properly out but I defo feel and see a difference in my make up

Please
or

RagingWhoreBag · 29/06/2019 09:05

Smoke I know you didn’t ask me, but mine is a DeLonghi Eletta plus and was ‘only’! £350 ish. Would have loved one of the super posh ones, but tbh this one feels really good quality for the money and as it’s just for me I don’t need a milk container built in, I just steam it in a jug.

Please
or

notso · 29/06/2019 09:06

A robot vacuum.
It's not technically an upgrade as I've kept my Miele vacuum and it was cheaper than the cordless I was going to buy.
I love it, it keeps on top of the floors so they never look like they need hoovering and I only have to push a button.
So glad I didn't get the cordless Dyson.

Please
or

MrsJBaptiste · 29/06/2019 09:06

My car. Not a splurge to some people but it was to me and the first car I've bought because I loved it rather than it's practical and a big family car. Every time I go out in it I'm happy!

It's not even anything that expensive and amazing but it's speedy and I love it! 😁

Please
or

EstherLittle · 29/06/2019 09:06

Mac Book Pro. Worth every penny.

A rain coat from a small brand called Rockholly. It was £150 but so worth it. It doesn’t have any of the nautical styling that Seasalt coats have which I can’t be doing with. I wore it everyday in winter (dog walking twice a day and school run) and it still looks great.

Please
or

kalinkafoxtrot45 · 29/06/2019 09:07

My prescription sunglasses. 😎 Worth every penny and I take good care of them.

Please
or

sam235corner · 29/06/2019 09:07

Decent designer knitwear (only buy in sale) and it lasts for years unlike a lot of high street knitwear.

I've also just bought a VAX carpet cleaner and it's brilliant, that will save me ££ in the long term.

Please
or

RagingWhoreBag · 29/06/2019 09:07

Sonjadog - I’m the same with my robot hoover - it’s not a lot quicker than just getting the hoover out, but I’m lazy and I love that I can just stick it in a room, pop out for 5 mins and it’s done.

Please
or

Whatelsecouldibecalled · 29/06/2019 09:07

Oakley sunglasses. Proper decent ones. I work outside for a living and wear glasses all year round as struggle with bright lights. Worth every penny.

Please
or

SnuffleBadger · 29/06/2019 09:09

Shark hoover
Simple human bin that has a push bar to open it....gives me pleasure every time I use it!

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 29/06/2019 09:10

Really glad I started this. Finding it really interesting!

OP's posts:
Please
or

isabellerossignol · 29/06/2019 09:11

Prescription sunglasses for me too. They're life changing.

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 29/06/2019 09:12

Snuffle - I bought my first 'decent' bin (Brabantio) a couple of months ago. Should have done it years ago!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.