Mumsnet is supported by readers. All our writers obsessively research every product we recommend. When you buy through a link on our site we might earn commission but this never influences our product choices.
Perfect for layering, lounging and working out, leggings are a wardrobe essential that you can pair with anything and always feel comfortable in.
The best leggings and jeggings are a great fit, the perfect length and flatter your form. But sadly, not all are created equal. Baggy knees, too long, too short and see-through are some of the heinous crimes that leggings can be guilty of. After all, no one wants to go out with their pants unknowingly on display.
That’s why we headed to the Mumsnet Talk boards to find out which leggings were covering all the bases, so to speak. We also looked at other reviews on retailer websites to make sure we were bringing the ultimate product round-up. The leggings and jeggings that made our list are all non-see-through and provide a fabulous fit.
Here are the best leggings and jeggings to buy this year.
1. Best overall leggings: Mint Velvet Straight Leggings
Price: £19 | Buy now from John Lewis
“High-waisted and really nice and thick… they last really well and don’t turn see-through.” - Hereforthedramaz
“Mint Velvet are my staple. I must have 10 different pairs now. [They] have a big waistband and slim over everything.” - WhatsGoingOnHereThen
Mint Velvet are on to a winner with these leggings - Mumsnet users can’t get enough of them. They love the wide waistband which holds you in and creates a flattering silhouette and the nice high waist for a comfortable fit. They love the quality and the fact that they wash well, too.
Pleasantly thick and oh-so-comfy, they’re made from a stretchy cotton-blend fabric with just enough elastane to keep any wobbly bits tamed and avoid the dreaded baggy knees.
And in a range of dark neutrals, they will pair effortlessly with the rest of your wardrobe.
- Flattering yet comfortable fit
- Excellent quality
- Range of lengths to suit all heights
- Might be too thick to wear in warmer weather
- Size range: 6 to 18, in three length options: short, regular or long
- Material: 94% cotton, 6% elastane
2. Best budget leggings: Iris & Lilly Women’s Soft Touch Leggings
Price: £15.90 for two | Buy now from Amazon
“They’re really good - wash well, don’t attract every cat hair within a mile radius and comfy waistband.” - RedPandaFluff
At just under £8 a pair, you can’t go wrong with these microfibre soft-touch leggings from Amazon, which offer excellent quality for the price. Reviewers love the soft feel of the fabric, which makes them supremely comfortable to wear.
The high elastane content means they hold their shape well and provide a strong and flexible fit. The waist and leg edges are also finished with an elastic trim to give you a more secure hold.
The only downside? If you’re tall, you might find they come up slightly short.
- Soft and smooth to touch
- Don’t wrinkle
- Good quality
- No range of lengths, so taller people might find them too short
- Size range: 8 to 20
- Material: 85% polyester, 15% elastane
3. Best jeggings: M&S High Waisted Jeggings
Price £15 | Buy now from M&S
“I bought a pair from M&S and they've done amazing and magical things for my body. I bought my usual size, which at first seemed a little too small, but I finally wriggled into them and WOW. They do wonders for my ample (but saggy) bum! Can't believe how excited I am about a pair of £15 jeggings, but they're the best item of clothing I've bought in years.” - Lizzy1980
"Life-changing", as they’ve been described by one Mumsnet user, might seem like an overstatement, but hey, if these babies can slim legs and sculpt bums for just £15 a pop, we’re definitely on board.
Made with M&S’ Sculpt & Lift™ technology, the stretch fabric pulls you in while lifting your bottom for a sculpted silhouette, while the high waist keeps everything covered.
They come in 15 different colours - from neutrals to brights to camo - and in a wide range of sizes and lengths so everyone can enjoy a bit of bum-shaping action.
Not to mention that they wash well. Is there anything they can’t do?
- Flattering fit lifts and sculpts
- Great range of colours and sizes
- Soft and comfortable
- Can be difficult to get on, but very comfortable once you’re wearing them
- Size range: 6 to 24 (depending on colour) in three lengths: short, regular and long
- Material: 69% cotton, 28% polyester and 3% elastane
4. Best black leggings: Tu Luxurious Soft Touch Leggings
Price: £10 | Buy now from Argos
“Tu at Sainsbury's 'luxury' leggings are the best I've found.” - VioletCharlotte
Everyone needs a great pair of black leggings in their wardrobe. You can wear them with literally anything - from t-shirt and trainers, boots and a blazer, to a sparkly top and heels. They can also extend the wearing time of your favourite summer dresses.
These leggings by Sainsbury’s are lauded by Mumsnet users for their soft material and high comfort factor. In a stretchy and breathable cotton-modal blend, they hold their shape and wash well.
They’re not as high-waisted as some other leggings, so that might be something to consider if you like a high waist. One Mumsnet user commented that they cut her off mid-tummy.
The general consensus is that they run slightly small, so buy a size up for a good fit. Already got them in black? Why not get them in navy as well.
- Quality-looking leggings
- Great comfort and fit
- The sizing is a bit tricky
- Size range: 8 to 24 in short or long lengths
- Material: 46% cotton, 46% modal, 8% elastane
5. Best faux leather leggings: Spanx Moto Leggings
Price: From £82.59 | Buy now from Amazon
“I love them. They are so versatile and on a pay-per-wear basis, they are great value.” - Cailinnua
“They are amazing. I drop a dress size easily when I wear them.” - BJHair
Revered by the Mumsnet community for their ‘sucking in’ powers, if you’re worried that leather leggings might be unflattering, you can trust Spanx to help you wear the trend and feel supremely confident while doing so.
They shape your legs and whittle your waist down thanks to their high-rise elasticated waistband, complete with hidden power mesh.
We love the quilted panels on this pair, which gives the look an added edge. They’d look great dressed down with trainers and a hoodie or up with chunky boots and a blazer. And wearers suggest the leg length is just right too.
- Great smoothing and holding-in powers
- Won’t sag or look out of shape
- Quilted design updates the leather look
- Some found the waist rolled down, but this may depend on individual fit.
- Size range: XS to XL
- Fabric: 87% nylon, 13% elastane with polyurethane coating, 6% elastane
6. Best shaping leggings: V by Very Curve Power Stretch Sculpting High Waist Leggings
Price: £25 | Buy now from Very
Featuring a four-way stretch fabric for maximum support and shaping, a deep, solid waistband to sculpt, and a high-rise waist, these might be the most comfortable and supportive leggings you’ll ever own.
They’re nice and thick, giving you that extra support, and wearers said that they felt comfortably pulled in, offering a nice overall look.
They’re super-stretchy so they’ll hold their shape wash after wash. With front and back seam details, they'll look fabulous with heels and a dressy top, but you could also go more casual.
- Great comfort and shaping
- Thick material and good stretch
- Some may not like the seams
- Size range: 14 to 28
- Fabric: 75% viscose, 23% polyamide, 2% elastane
7. Best winter leggings for women: M&S Heatgen Plus Thermal Leggings
Price: £15 | Buy now from M&S
“M&S Heatgen Plus for ultimate warmth and comfort… I would live in them if I could.” - Coconut2010
Perfect for lounging around the house or out and about, these leggings are thick and non-see-through, so you can wear them as leggings on their own or as a base layer under trousers for extra warmth.
Made from super-soft brushed fleece, they feel really cosy and will keep you warm even on the chilliest days.
Some people found them a bit too long, so if you’re on the shorter side, you may have to turn them up.
- Can be worn under clothes or on their own
- Offers good protection against the cold
- Comfortable, stretchy and warm
- Might be too long for some people
- Size range: 6 to 22
- Material: 53% viscose, 39% acrylic and 8% elastane
8. Best leggings for curvy women: SINOPHANT High Waisted Leggings
Price: From £7.99 | Buy now from Amazon
“The comfiest leggings I’ve ever owned! Washed and tumble dried multiple times a week and still going strong nine months in.” - elscare
“These are soo comfy even with additional lockdown pounds. I ordered a pair and then immediately ordered another two!” - Casmama
Supremely soft and very comfortable, these leggings will stretch to fit your shape, hold you in and make you feel super confident.
They have a high-rise compression waistband that hugs your curves and flattens your tummy and it doesn’t roll down either. And whether you’re doing squats in the gym or simply the housework, the stretchy fabric won’t go see-through.
Some wearers have said that the black isn’t as strong as it should be - more like a dark grey - but with a wide range of other colours to choose from, you’re sure to find a pair you like.
- Great choice of colours
- Great stretch that will fit a variety of curves
- Really comfortable
- Hand wash only
- Black colour isn’t pure black
- Size range: 2 to 32
- Material: 92% polyester, 8% elastane
9. Best plus size jeggings: Democracy Women’s Ab Solution Jegging Jeans
Price: From £55.73 | Buy now from Amazon
With pockets and a zip and button fastening, you could be forgiven for thinking these were jeans, but they offer the comfort that only jeggings can.
Designed to show off your curves but hold you in, the elastic waistband and mesh panel provide great tummy control and a comfortable fit that won’t slip down. They’re wonderfully stretchy and machine washable too.
One thing to note when ordering is that the sizing is US, so make sure you order the correct size.
- Available in short and long lengths
- Look like real jeans
- They can run big so go down a size if you’d like a tighter, more sculpting fit
- Size range: 4 to 24 in short and longer lengths
- Fabric: 54% cotton, 27% rayon, 17% polyester, 2% elastane
10. Best thick leggings: Next Ponte Leggings
Price: £16 | Buy now from Next
“They stop your wobbly bits wobbling!” - DinosaurDiana
These classic ponte leggings are made from a soft and thick fabric with added stretch to create a flattering silhouette.
The classic style will look great with whatever you team it with - be it flats and a jumper, trainers and a tee or heels and a blazer.
They come in a wide range of sizes and lengths, so you can be sure to find the perfect fit. And they’re primarily made with eco-conscious materials too.
Mumsnet users report that the fit is a bit tight so you will need to go up a size.
- Classic style that you can wear with anything
- Thick material holds you in
- Sizing is a little small
- Size range: 6 to 26 in four lengths: petite, regular, long and XL tall
- Material: 68% LENZING ECOVERO viscose, 27% recycled polyester, 5% Lycra elastane
11. Best compression leggings for women: Sweaty Betty Super Sculpt
Price: £85 | Buy now from Sweaty Betty
“I love Super Sculpt leggings.” - ginewineandbaileys
“Another vote for the Sweaty Betty leggings. I’m not quite 5ft tall and the 7/8 length fit me perfectly. Expensive but they aren’t see-through and don’t go baggy.” - Iheartmysmart
The gold standard of booty-lifting leggings, these from Sweaty Betty are on the wishlist of many a Mumsnet user (does anyone have a discount code?). Warm, sculpting and very flattering, they also provide compression, which helps to improve blood circulation and reduce soreness after a workout.
They don’t look like regular gym clothes, so they’re also great for everyday wear, but if you’re a yoga bunny, these leggings will see you through everything from a downward dog to a garland pose. With a strong, stretchy fabric and a high-rise waist, they’re guaranteed to hold everything in place and preserve your dignity. They’re machine washable and have pockets too.
They also come in a 7/8 length.
- Excellent sculpting and compression
- Expensive, but hardwearing and will last you a long time
- Machine washable
- Don’t offer a true black option
- Some people reported that the high waist rolled down
- Size range: XXS to XXL
- Material: 72.6% polyester, 27.4% elastane
12. Best high waisted leggings: Love Leggings Classic High Waisted Leggings
Price: £18 | Buy from Love Leggings
“I love the high-waisted petite. Perfect and they hold my tummy in well.” - adrianmolesmole
“I've ordered some from Love Leggings after seeing them advertised for ages and assuming they're too good to be true. Omg they're absolutely brilliant - thick and not see-through and don't go baggy. I absolutely love them.” - October2020
With a deep, high-rise waistband, and four-way stretch fabric, these leggings provide great coverage and control.
They have a soft, thick brushed cotton lining, which means they’re really comfortable to wear and there’s a great range of colours too - from true black to a sunshine yellow.
As they’re rather thick, Mumsnet users say they’re great for the colder months, but you might have to leave them in the wardrobe when the weather gets warmer.
- Wide of colours, sizes and lengths
- Good comfort and fit
- Too thick for warmer weather
- Size range: 6 to 28 in four lengths: petite, regular, tall and extra tall
- Material: 95% cotton, 5% elastane
13. Best jeggings with pockets: Roman Originals Women’s Jeggings
Price: From £25 | Buy now from Amazon
“Roman jeggings are amazing - so stretchy that I have three different sizes and can wear all of them! They look jeans enough to wear with sparkly tops to go out at night.” - ChristmasFluff
Made from a stretchy cotton polyester blend, these high-rise jeggings look and feel great. Easy to style, you could team them with virtually anything and reviewers loved how comfortable they felt once on.
They’re not quite skinny jeans - more of a slim leg - but they’re certainly slim enough to fit into boots. The sizing is on the generous side, so size down if you like a tight fit.
- Great stretch
- Can be dressed up for evening
- Flattering, comfortable fit
- Not if you’re looking for skinny jeans
- Size range: 10 to 20
- Material: 76% cotton 22% polyester 2% elastane
14. Best maternity leggings: Mamalicious Fit Active Maternity Leggings
Price: £25 | Buy now from John Lewis
“These Mamalicious ones were recommended to me by a friend when I was pregnant and they’re great. Really comfy, wash well and don’t get stretched out of shape.” - RocketGoose
If you’re planning on staying active during pregnancy (popping to the shops counts, right?), these maternity leggings from Mamalicious will see you through your entire term. In a soft stretch fabric, they feature a nice high waist that will grow with your bump. There’s a supportive rib detail at the front too, meaning you’ll stay comfortable all day.
We love the soft grey marl colourway, which creates a stylish gym look or you can wear with trainers and a tee for everyday. They’re made with recycled nylon, so they’re an eco-friendly choice too.
Wearers say they run big, so order a size down. Another thing to note is that they don’t offer much in the way of bump support, meaning they’re more suited to gentle exercise and everyday wear rather than a full-on workout.
- Flattering, yet comfortable fit
- Easy to care for
- For all stages of pregnancy
- Minimal bump support
- Size range: S/M to L/XL
- 42% recycled polyester, 34% nylon, 17% polyamide, 7% elastane
15. Best leggings for tall women: High Rise Jersey Leggings
Price: £28 | Buy now from Boden
“They wash perfectly, don't bag at the knees, don't lose the elastic, don't bobble or wear at my substantial thighs, and come out the tumble dryer looking like new.” - LaurieFairyCake
“They are lovely, really comfy and last for ages.” - papooshka
Boden leggings have been a long-term favourite among the Mumsnet community and the brand has updated them with a wider waistband and slightly higher rise - making them more flattering and supportive.
In a soft stretch jersey, these might just become your new favourite leggings. Wearers praise the thickness and the quality look and feel. We love the prints, but they’re also available in fail-safe black and they wash and wear well too.
Long-legged lasses might be pleased to know that these are a generous length. On the flip side, reviews suggest that those under 5ft 3 might find even the petite length too long.
- Retain colour and shape well
- Great comfort
- They run a bit long
- Size range: 6 to 22 in three lengths: petite, regular and long
- Material: 92% viscose, 8% elastane
16. Best leggings for petite women: Victoria’s Secret Incredible Essential Leggings
Price: £35 | Buy now from Next
“I’m 5ft 1. I recently bought some Essential Leggings from Victoria’s Secret and I really rate them. As good as Sweaty Betty but about half the price.” - Practicebeingpatient
A super-soft nylon performance legging at a 7/8 length - these are perfect for shorter ladies.
Available in a palette of colours and prints, from plain black to neon pink, you can rock a cool sports-luxe look whether you’re running errands or hitting the gym. They also have pockets - hurrah!
With four-way stretch and a high stay-put waistband, they hold you in and give you a perfect fit. And the moisture-wicking fabric will keep you cool and dry.
They’re also available in a longer leg.
- Stretchy, wicking fabric
- Great choice of patterns and colours
- For gym or everyday wear, not dressing up
- Size range: 6 to 20
- Material: 87% polyester, 13% elastane
What to look for in leggings
Leggings really are your flexible friend. Dressed up or down, you can team them with almost anything in your wardrobe. But if you’re on the hunt for the best leggings, here are some things to consider.
- Occasion: Are you looking for a multitasking pair of leggings that you can wear both casually and for nights out; a pair for mostly lounging; or leggings that you can wear at the gym as well as out of it.
- Length: The optimum legging length is for them to sit just above the ankle. If you’re under 5 ft 4, then look for leggings in a 7/8 length to come up full length.
- Budget: When it comes to more expensive leggings, it’s worth thinking about how much wear you’re going to get out of them. A pair that you can dress down or up would significantly reduce their price-per-wear. If you’re just looking for a pair of leggings to lounge around in, it’s not worth spending as much as there are plenty of good-quality budget options out there.
- Fabric: Do you like to feel like you’re being held in? If so, look for leggings with added support, such as Lycra and elastane. If you tend to feel hot, then cotton leggings will keep you cooler than other materials. If you want super soft leggings to lounge in, look for stretch jersey or brushed cotton.
- Style: High-waisted styles provide a secure fit, especially if you like to keep your midsection covered. They also flatter pear shapes and longer torsos. If you’re shorter, you might find they go up too high and become uncomfortable. In which case, go for a mid-rise waist.
- Colour: You can’t beat the versatility of black leggings, but if you want to make a statement, go for a snappy print. Just keep your accessories neutral.
What is the best material for leggings?
Cotton is soft and breathable, so it’s ideal for warmer temperatures. However, it doesn’t stretch as well as other fabrics, meaning you’re more likely to fall foul of the dreaded baggy knees. Look out for sustainably produced cotton if you want to put the environment first.
Synthetic fabrics like polyester and nylons should last longer than cotton and are great for working out, walking and hanging around the house as they’ll move with you and keep their shape. They’re also moisture wicking, making them ideal for when you want to work up a sweat or for warmer days.
Stretch jersey and other materials such as thermal and viscose are soft and cosy and make perfect leggings for lounging around.
What are the best quality leggings?
For their thickness, flattering fit and comfort, we think Mint Velvet are the best leggings to buy. They’re highly rated by Mumsnet users too.
What are the most comfortable leggings?
High waisted, stretchy and soft, Mumsnet users raved about the comfortable fit and feel of the SINOPHANT Leggings. And in a range of sizes, from 2 up to a 32, they cater for everyone.
What are the best jeggings?
Almost unanimously loved by Mumsnet users for their uber-flattering fit, comfort and style at an affordable price point, M&S takes the crown with their High Waisted Jeggings.
How we chose our recommendations
The majority of our recommendations for leggings and jeggings came from Mumsnet users themselves. We searched the Mumsnet forums for posts about which leggings, including petite, tall, plus-size and budget-friendly, that Mumsnet users really loved. We also looked at other reviews to see which leggings and jeggings performed well across the board.
Why you should trust us
We work hard to provide unbiased, independent advice you can trust. We do sometimes earn revenue through affiliate (click-to-buy) links in our articles. This helps us fund more helpful articles like this one.