My feed
Premium

Our writers test and research products independently. When you buy through a link on our site we may earn a commission but this never affects our product choices.

Philips Steam&Go Plus review: our verdict on Mumsnetters' best clothes steamer

Sleek, lightweight and effective, we put Mumsnetters' favourite clothes steamer to the test.

By Poppy O'Neill | Last updated Feb 27, 2024

Philips Steam&Go Garment Steamer

Price on writing: £60 | Buy now from Amazon

What we like
  • Lightweight

• Glove and storage bag included

• Integrated tank

• Effective

• Quick to heat up

What we don't like
  • No lock on trigger

• Very small water tank

Key specs

Tank Capacity: 0.7L | Transparent Water Tank: No | Hanging Equipment: No | Accessories: Brush, glove, storage bag | Power: 1300w | Dimensions: 38cm x 12.8cm x 15cm | Weight: 950g

Our verdict

The Philips Steam&Go Plus is by far the most recommended model by Mumsnet users, snagging our top spot as the best clothes steamer on our round-up. I was impressed by how lightweight it felt, and how easy it was to use, thanks to its ergonomic design. It comes with a handy storage bag and heat-resistant glove too, which is a nice touch.

When tested on a week's worth of school shirts, it made light work of smoothing out creases and the shirts were ready impressively fast. However, its small water tank meant I had to pause frequently to refill it.

For getting an outfit ready for a night out or day at work, it's a godsend, but if you're looking to tackle a larger laundry pile, you'd be better of opting for a more heavy-duty clothes steamer like the Swan ProSteam. Personally, I like to get the steam iron out as little as possible, preferring to hang most items straight from the washing machine, so the Philips Steam&Go is perfect for the odd outfit that needs a little help to look its best.

Related: The best budget washing machines, tried and tested

Philips Steam&Go Plus

How easy is the Philips Steam&Go to set up?

Setting up and using this clothes steamer couldn't be easier. The water tank is simple to pop out - it forms part of the handle, making the whole steamer nicer to hold and use than other models. I just needed to fill the water tank up from my kitchen tap, pop it back into the handle and plug the steamer in.

After 45 seconds heating up, the steamer was ready to go. With powerful continuous steam, the Steam&Go Plus gets to work quickly.

Related: The best tumble dryers, according to Mumsnet users

What's the Philips Steam&Go Plus like to use day-to-day?

As a clothes steamer to keep in your bedroom for refreshing your favourite outfits just before you wear them, the Philips Steam&Go Plus is fantastic. During testing, I kept it hung up on a hook in its storage bag, and found myself giving plenty of clothes a once over.

Thanks to its continuous steam, it doesn't just iron clothes - the Philips Steam&Go also refreshes them, helping to get rid of odours while it deals with creases.

However, I tried the steamer on a load of washing and for cleaning my sofa, and found that the small water tank held it back for these tasks.

Read next: The best washer dryers for space-saving laundry

Does the Philips Steam&Go Plus offer good value for money?

With an RRP of £65, this is one of the most expensive handheld clothes steamers out there. I did notice the difference in design and power when compared to budget options, though. The Philips Steam&Go is designed to be compact, sleek and comfortable to use at home or for travel. It takes up less space in your suitcase or wardrobe than a garment steamer with a larger water tank, so if you're looking for a handy, portable and high-performance clothes steamer that looks great, it's the perfect option.

About the author

Poppy O'Neill is a Content Editor at Mumsnet and a mother of two. She's been researching and reviewing baby and child products for 3 years, with a particular focus on baby essentials, toys and books for toddlers and outdoor play equipment. From potties to paddling pools and bunk beds to bedtime stories, she loves to deep-dive into research and find the best products out there.

Poppy is also an award-winning, best-selling children's and parenting author of books such as Don't Worry, Be Happy, The Extraordinary Book That Makes You Feel Happy and Mother Power. She specialises in children's mental health and her books are used by therapists, teachers and SENCOs across the UK. She won a The Week Junior Book Award in 2023, her books have been translated into several languages and she's been featured in The Guardian, The Sunday Times and The Sun.

After earning a BA in Creative Writing from the University of Leeds and a PGCert in Fashion and Lifestyle Journalism from University of the Arts London, she worked in fashion for most of her 20s. When her children were young, she undertook an MA in Creative Writing from the University of Chichester and re-trained as an author and freelance writer.

About Mumsnet reviews

All Mumsnet product reviews are written by real parents after weeks of research and testing. We work hard to provide honest and independent advice you can trust. Sometimes, we earn revenue through affiliate (click-to-buy) links in our articles. However, we never allow this to influence our coverage.