My feed
Premium

Our writers test and research products independently. When you buy through a link on our site we may earn a commission but this never affects our product choices.

Swan ProSteam Garment Steamer review: time to bin the ironing board?

It's quick, sturdy and reliable, but is the Swan ProSteam good enough to make us throw away our irons? We put it to the test.

By Poppy O'Neill | Last updated Mar 7, 2024

swan prosteam review

Price on writing: £30 | Buy now from Amazon

Our rating:
What we like
  • Easy to remove and refill tank

• Great performance

• Banishes creases quickly

• Fast heat up

• Trigger can be locked on

• Suitable for all fabric types

What we don't like
  • Relatively short flex

• Tank is a little loose

• Brush bent out of shape after use

Key specs

Tank Capacity: 300ml | Transparent Water Tank: Yes | Hanging Equipment: No | Accessories: Detachable brush | Power: 1500w | Dimensions: 13.8L x 10.8W x 27.8H cm | Weight: 1.07kg

Swan ProSteam Garment Steamer

Our verdict

If you're looking for a powerful, reliable clothes steamer that could feasibly replace your best steam iron, look no further. The Swan ProSteam Garment Steamer has a generous 300ml water tank, removable brush attachment and lockable trigger button, making it ideal for smoothing out creases on all fabric types.

Whether it's a pair of linen trousers, sofa, curtains or sheets, just plug the steamer in, pick between low or high steam and you'll be done in a jiffy.

It's not perfect - the flex could be longer and the brush got a little bent out of shape after a sofa-cleaning session. But it's a great all-rounder for a reasonable price, and I was impressed by its performance.

Read next: The best dehumidifiers for drying clothes and tackling damp at home

How easy is the Swan ProSteam Garment Steamer to set up?

With an eject button at the base of the steamer's handle, the water tank was the easiest to fit and remove of the garment steamers I tested. Clicking the eject button releases the tank, so you can wiggle it off, fill it up from the tap and click it back on.

Once the water tank is filled, the steamer needs to be plugged in and there's a subtle white light to indicate the steamer is on. When you're ready, hold down the trigger button and you're ready to steam.

The Swan ProSteam has a few more settings to choose from compared to other similar clothes steamers. You can switch between low and high steam, and the trigger button can be locked on or pressed down manually.

Read next: The best heated clothes airers - our pick of the top heated airers in the UK

Swan ProSteam Garment Steamer

What's the Swan ProSteam Garment Steamer like to use day-to-day?

I tested the Swan ProSteam on a shirt, pair of trousers and for cleaning my sofa. It performed really well, with creases disappearing easily on clothing, and a nice clean on my sofa.

I avoid ironing at almost all costs, and this was my favourite of the clothes steamers I tested. It makes light work of everyday ironing tasks, without having to haul the ironing board out of the cupboard.

One drawback I noticed was the length of the steamer's power cord. I hung my clothing on a pulley maid clothes airer and with the steamer plugged in to a floor-level plug, it was only just long enough to reach the top of the garment - I would have liked a little more wiggle room.

The steamer worked well cleaning my sofa, it was easy and comfortable to use at an angle. This Mumsnetter likes to use her Swan ProSteam to remove creases from sheets that are already on her bed: genius-level hack.

Read next: The best steam generator irons, tried and tested

I use a Swan handheld steamer when the beds made - game changer.

Unfortunately, after cleaning my sofa I noticed the brush bristles were bent out of shape on the steamer. It's still useable but I was disappointed that the bristles weren't more robust.

Related: The best washing machines, as recommended by Mumsnetters

Does the Swan ProSteam Garment Steamer offer good value for money?

At £30, this mid-priced steamer offers great value for money. I preferred it to the Philips Steam&Go, which is twice the price, and would choose it over an iron any day. While cheaper clothes steamers are available, the Swan ProSteam offers a good balance of quality and price.

Read next: The best washer dryers, tried and tested

About the author

Poppy O'Neill is a Content Editor at Mumsnet and a mother of two. She's been researching and reviewing baby and child products for 2 years, with a particular focus on baby essentials, toys and books for toddlers and outdoor play equipment. From potties to paddling pools and bunk beds to bedtime stories, she loves to deep-dive into research and find the best products out there.

Poppy is also an award-winning, best-selling children's and parenting author of books such as Don't Worry, Be Happy, The Extraordinary Book That Makes You Feel Happy and Mother Power. She specialises in children's mental health and her books are used by therapists, teachers and SENCOs across the UK. She won a The Week Junior Book Award in 2023, her books have been translated into several languages and she's been featured in The Guardian, The Sunday Times and The Sun.

After earning a BA in Creative Writing from the University of Leeds and a PGCert in Fashion and Lifestyle Journalism from University of the Arts London, she worked in fashion for most of her 20s. When her children were young, she undertook an MA in Creative Writing from the University of Chichester and re-trained as an author and freelance writer.

About Mumsnet reviews

All Mumsnet product reviews are written by real parents after weeks of research and testing. We work hard to provide honest and independent advice you can trust. Sometimes, we earn revenue through affiliate (click-to-buy) links in our articles. However, we never allow this to influence our coverage.