My feed
Premium

Lakeland’s The Snuggler Heated Throw review: is the extra warm blanket worth the price tag?

Mumsnet editor and mum of two, Rebecca, puts Lakeland’s heated throw, aptly named The Snuggler, to the test over winter.

By Rebecca Roberts | Last updated Jan 10, 2024

Lakeland’s The Snuggler Heated Throw

RRP: £90 (currently reduced to £75) | Buy now from Amazon

Heated blankets are a popular go-to item for Mumsnet users who are trying new ways to keep themselves warm, all while reducing their energy consumption and utility bills. After all, the cost of living crisis doesn’t look like it’s going to end any time soon. So, we can’t blame families for wanting to find cost-effective solutions that last for years to come.

In our efforts to find the best heated throws available on the market, Mumsnet editor and mum of two, Rebecca, tested Lakeland’s The Snuggler heated throw blanket. Unlike other throws available, this particular electric blanket comes complete with sleeves and a foot pouch, meaning you can enjoy cocoon-like warmth while your arms and hands are still free to crack on with your latest cross-stitching project.

So, without further ado, read on to see what our own MNHQ editor thinks - and whether she feels it’s worth the RRP £99 price tag.

The Snuggler

Heated Throw with Sleeves and Foot Pouch, was £99, now £75

What we like
  • Large in size

• Auto turn off after three hours

• Very soft and comfortable

• Costs pennies to run

• Machine washable

What we don't like
  • Quite heavy

• The sleeves aren’t heated

• Only good when stationary

• Foot pouch isn’t heated and could be bigger

Key specs

Material: 100% polyester | Features: Three temperature settings, foot pouch, sleeves | Safety: Three hour auto shut-off | Machine washable: Yes, at 30°C | Tumble dry: No | Size: 180 x 150cm, sleeve length: 63cm | Power: 120W | Guarantee: Lakeland three year guarantee included

Our verdict
  • Warmth: 5/5

• Temperature settings: 5/5

• Design: 3/5

• Ease of use: 3/5

• Ease of cleaning: 4/5

• Value for money: 3/5

My family and I live in a home where maintaining the right temperature is a daily battle. Due to our home’s open plan design, we find ourselves colder on an evening as we wind down after the day while the kids are tucked up nice and warm in their toasty bedrooms. But since we’re living in the “cost of living age” that children will learn about in schools in years to come, we begrudge sticking our heating on for that extra boost of warmth at the end of the day. So naturally, to avoid spending extra electricity on heating (and using up) oil, I jumped when the chance to try Lakeland’s The Snuggler came along in early December.

Lakeland The Snuggler Heated Throw

Fast forward a few weeks and let's just say, the heated throw has become an integral part of my slobbing out on the sofa evening routine. In fact, it was a lifesaver when we had that cold spell over Christmas and again in early January. More than just a heated throw, The Snuggler has long, oversized sleeves that are comfortable as well as a foot pouch at the bottom to save your feet from being left out in the cold. Lakeland describes it as “a cuddle in a blanket”, and they’re not wrong, although I do have a couple of qualms about the design.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s brilliant at warming you up while curled up on the sofa or while working from home. The sleeves are loose, which allows enough freedom of movement without sacrificing any warmth. Although, it’d be great if the sleeves were heated, too. The foot pouch is smaller than I’d like it to be, and could do with being bigger and more secure.

The Snuggler Heated Throw Blanket

Final verdict: This fleecy heated throw blanket from Lakeland is a great addition to our home but at RRP £99, it is one of the more expensive heated blankets on the market. It’s perfect for when you’re stationary and don’t plan to move too much, but if you want something that offers even more movement, I’d recommend checking out our guides to the best heated gilets or blanket hoodies.

What is The Snuggler Heated Throw by Lakeland?

The clue’s in the name. This heated throw is a huge blanket designed by Lakeland, with added sleeves and a foot pouch to make it extra snuggly during use. Hence why it’s aptly called The Snuggler.

Lakeland The Snuggler Heated Throw

Made of 100% polyester, the throw is super-soft and even on the lowest setting offers extra warmth and comfort. There’s a pouch to keep your feet warm, and the sleeves are loose enough so you don’t feel too restricted and can still easily reach for the TV’s remote and the box of Quality Street chocolates you’re still working through.

One thing I will say is that it’s huge. In fact, it can easily fit both my DH and I underneath (with the dog on top who stubbornly refuses to move) when the sleeves are not in use. So, while a selling point of this heated throw is that it has sleeves and a foot pouch, you can still use it for heating up more than one person.

Lakeland The Snuggler review

So, while it does sound expensive if you’re considering it for an individual, given it’s large enough to heat up two, even three at a push, it does offer better value for money than some throws. Plus, Lakeland offers a three year guarantee, too.

The Snuggler is also part of Lakeland’s heated blankets and wellbeing range that is filled with products that are designed to warm your heart (and your toes, apparently) while saving energy - and therefore - money in the process.

Related: Discover the best slippers for women

How easy is Lakeland’s The Snuggler Heated Throw to use?

Very easy. All you need to do is unbox, plug it in, and it’s ready to use. While it’s perfect for when you’re stationary, it’s not so great if you need to move around the house. That being said, that’s not its purpose. Instead, The Snuggler’s job is to do what it says on the tin - keep you warm, while snuggled, comfortable and cosy while nestled when reading, watching something or while working.

Wearing the Snuggler heated throw

After using it, you’re supposed to let it cool down completely before storing it. So, on an evening before bed, I make sure it’s unplugged and able to cool down before I fold it away to store it away from my two DC the next morning.

The instructions dictate that it’s safe for children aged three and above to use with adult supervision (although, after the age of eight, they’re fine on their own). It’s not recommended to use it for a child less than three due to their body’s inability to regulate their temperature as easily as an adult - something to bear in mind if you're looking for a blanket the whole family can use.

Related: Best hot water bottles for keeping you cosy at home

How warm is Lakeland’s The Snuggler Heated Throw?

It’s super warm. In fact, the highest setting proves too warm for me. I like it on the first setting, sometimes the second if it’s extra cold outside. Our Dubai-born doggy misses the warmth outside, and so she’s been spending every evening curled up at my feet on top of the blanket, too.

Lakeland The Snuggler Heated Throw control panel

There’s three temperature settings to choose from, and I’ve found the three-hour auto shut-off very handy after binge-watching Fool Me Once on Netflix. It’s a great reminder of the length of time I’ve been sitting down doing nothing and lets you rest assured knowing it’s never going to be left on all night and risk setting alight.

Related: Discover the best heated gloves for winter

Design and style: Lakeland’s The Snuggler Heated Throw

Lakeland’s The Snuggler comes in grey. My favourite colour (kidding). Although, it’s a universal colour, so you can’t really go wrong. It would be nice to see different colours available to choose from, though.

Bailey the dog next to The Snuggler Heated Throw

With that said, grey suits our home and interiors - and it’s a great colour where a bit of yoghurt from the kids’ grubby hands doesn’t show up too much and you can get away without washing it for a little longer. On that note…

How easy is it to wash Lakeland’s The Snuggler Heated Throw?

Surprisingly easy. Although, I was nervous to put it through the wash at first, I’ll admit.

On a day-to-day basis, it’s very easy to take care of. We store it in a wicker basket, neatly folded once cooled down, so it’s out of the way of little fingers. To wash it, all you need to do is disconnect the power line from the control unit and bung it in the washing machine at 30°C on a wool programme. It’s not to be tumble dried, dry cleaned, or bleached.

The Snuggler Heated Throw connector plug
Lakeland The Snuggler Heated Throw connector wire

If you’d prefer to hand wash it - who has time for that? - you can do so while using mild washing powder or detergent, and soak in lukewarm water for 15 minutes. After soaking, gently wash and rinse thoroughly with clean, lukewarm water. The instructions also say to allow excess water to drain from the throw, and you can do this by gently squeezing it. But don’t wring it out!

To dry, air dry on a clothesline - avoid use of clothes pegs, though. Do not use it until it’s completely dry and do not wring.

Lakeland Heated Throw The Snuggler

The instructions also advise that you hold the heated throw up to the light and inspect it to ensure none of the wires have formed into loops or become twisted. Which, in my opinion, is a bit faffy, but I understand that it’s probably necessary.

Related: Best draught excluders for insulating your home

Price: does The Snuggler Heated Throw by Lakeland offer good value for money?

It remains to be seen if using the heated throw has made a huge difference to my sky-high utility bills, however, I do appreciate that we no longer need to stick the heating on late at night after the kids’ bedtime.

At RRP £99, it is one of the more expensive heated throws available on the market and as I said earlier, that price tag might be a bit too high for individual use. In our home, we’ve found it great to heat up DH and I at the end of the day - as well as the dog - so, it’s sort of three for the price of one over here.

MNHQ editor Beccy Roberts wearing The Snuggler Heated Throw

Given that I’ve also used it to keep warm while working at home, it has been used a lot and I suspect will continue to be used frequently by DH and I as we eagerly await spring to arrive.

How we tested Lakeland’s The Snuggler Heated Throw

• Tested individually and with the help of DH

• Tested over December and January in a home in the north of the UK

• Used on an evening and during the day while WFH

• Washed once during testing period

Tested over Christmas, primarily after the kids had gone to bed while me and DH slobbed out chilled out on the sofa watching every Harlan Coben adaptation on Netflix. I’ve also been wearing it while working, sometimes, when the kids are at nursery and I don’t want to put the heating on until they’re home.

Related: The best foot warmers for working from home

About the author

Rebecca Roberts is a writer, editor, and content marketing expert hailing from Leeds. Here at Mumsnet, she brings parents content designed to make life easier. With two kids, a dog, husband and a home to run, she knows all too well just how easy it is to rack up high utility bills and is constantly on the lookout for products that are affordable, long-lasting and cost-efficient.

Beyond her role as an editor here at Mumsnet, Rebecca can be found balancing life as a working mum of two toddlers and when she’s not at her desk, you’ll likely find her at a local playgroup, in a nearby coffee shop, or walking the dog.

About Mumsnet Reviews

All Mumsnet product reviews are written by real parents after weeks of research and testing. We work hard to provide honest and independent advice you can trust. Sometimes, we earn revenue through affiliate (click-to-buy) links in our articles. However, we never allow this to influence our coverage.

All prices are correct at time of publication.

Read next: Best heated socks for toasty toes