My feed
Premium

Our writers test and research products independently. When you buy through a link on our site we may earn a commission but this never affects our product choices.

Bickiepegs Doidy Cup review: a uniquely slanted open training cup for baby-led weaning

Searching for a sippy cup alternative? The Doidy Cup, with its easy-grab handles and slanted rim, is ideal for baby-led weaning. Our parent tester tried it with her 22-month-old. Here's her verdict.

By Laura Westerman | Last updated Feb 20, 2024

Doidy Cup

Price: From £4

What we like
  • Affordable

• Slanted sides promotes independent drinking

• Helps to develop hand-eye coordination

• Easy-grab handles

• BPA-free and recyclable

• Recommended by medical professionals

What we don't like
  • Not leakproof

• Takes a while to learn how to use it

• Doesn’t come with a lid

Key specs

Capacity: 200ml | Recommended age: 3 months+ | Material: Plastic

What Mumsnet users say
MissingSilence · Tried & Tested
“Loved it and never had any issues with it. My DD used it from four months and used it independently pretty early, then at 14 months moved to a regular cup. The instructions tell you how to use it and I think that’s key. When going out, I took that and a bottle of water or ordered tap water to fill it. My DD rarely spilled and learned to pass it back after a drink as she couldn’t reliably place it on the table for some time.
See Post
Our verdict
  • Safety: 5/5

• Design: 5/5

• Ease of use: 5/5

• Ease of cleaning: 5/5

• Value for money: 5/5

The Bickiepegs Doidy Cup has been an invaluable addition to our weaning kit since my now 22-month-old was six months old.

While we started her out on the Tommee Tippee Essential Free-Flow First Cup, later moving on to the Munchkin Miracle 360° Sippy Cup, the Doidy Cup has been a great way for us to simultaneously introduce her to an open cup.

The open design and angled rim of the Doidy cup allows your little one to see the liquid inside and drink without moving their head forwards and backwards, which is often the main cause of spillages. Additionally, the NCT recommends a sloping cup like the Doidy cup, suggesting that it may be easier for your baby as they don’t have to tilt it as far when drinking. I definitely found this to be true with my daughter, as she didn’t spill as much once she figured out how to use this cup.

According to experts, an open cup like the Doidy Cup also encourages good oral movements. The drinking action simulates breastfeeding (involving the same natural jaw and tongue suckling movements), making the transition from breast to cup easier. Plus, it helps to prevent delays in speech development and tooth decay linked to prolonged spout or bottle feeding. In a nutshell, I found this cup to be durable and good value for money, easy to clean and fun for my daughter to use.

Read next: Best sippy cups and beakers

Toddler holding Doidy Cup

How we tested the Doidy Cup

I purchased the Doidy Cup when my daughter started weaning at six months old, however it was used very sporadically until she was around eight months, when we started to introduce it to mealtimes more frequently with just a small amount of liquid at a time.

We then used it every week alongside the Tommee Tippee Essential Free-Flow First Cup, and the Munchkin Miracle 360° Sippy Cup to help her practice with an open cup.

During testing, I scored the Doidy Cup on five different criteria: safety, design, ease of use, ease of cleaning and value for money.

How does the Doidy Cup look and what age is it suitable for?

One of the most unique things about the Doidy Cup is that it’s slanted, which makes it easier for babies and toddlers to start using an open cup. Sipping slowly from a rim of a cup, rather than a spout or teat, not only teaches independence, but it also helps to develop hand-eye coordination as your child can see the liquid inside the cup and start to gauge how much they need to drink at once.

The Doidy Cup is relatively small in size with two ergonomically-designed grab handles on either side that make it easy to hold and drink from. From a parent’s point of view, it’s simple to transport if needed. However, it doesn’t come with a lid so may not be ideal for on-the-go drinking unless you stop and fill the cup with water or milk and allow your child a drink break before heading off again.

It’s suitable from as early as three months old, however I found it really came into its own when my daughter was around eight months.

I like that it’s available in 11 colours to suit different tastes. We have the turquoise version at home and love it.

Read next: Best sterilisers as rated by parents

Doidy Cup: is it BPA-free?

Yes! The Doidy Cup is BPA-free and made from food-safe polypropylene. It’s also recyclable.

Doidy Cup open cup

How easy is the Doidy Cup to use?

The Doidy Cup’s slanted sides make it easier to use than most other open training cups on the market as babies only need to tip the cup slightly in order to take a sip. However, because of its unique design, your child might struggle to lay the cup flat on a table without spilling and will need supervision initially.

While there were definitely a lot of spills as my daughter got to grips with how to use it (I still tend to fill the cup half way to minimise mess), I was impressed with how quickly she managed to drink successfully from it.

Granted, free-flow sippy cups like the Tommee Tippee Essential Free-Flow First Cup are much easier for babies to use straight away, but the skill of drinking from an open cup is much more complex for babies to master, so the Doidy Cup goes a long way to setting them up for success.

Read next: Best highchairs for babies and toddlers

Is the Doidy Cup spill-proof?

No. As it’s an open cup, spills are inevitable, which is why I prefer to have a leakproof trainer cup like the Munchkin Miracle 360° Sippy Cup with me in my changing bag when we go out and about.

The Doidy Cup is portable though so I also tend to take it with me if I know we will be sitting somewhere like a café for lunch.

Woman holding Doidy Cup

Doidy Cup: how easy is it to clean?

Very easy! The perks of the Doidy Cup is that it’s dishwasher-, steriliser and microwave-safe. I usually put it on the top rack of my dishwasher for cleaning, however it’s just as easy to hand wash it too.

Read next: Best baby plates and bowls

Is the Doidy Cup good value for money?

Absolutely. With an RRP of £4, the Doidy Cup offers incredible value for money. My 22-month-old toddler is now confident with an adult-sized open cup, which I’m certain wouldn’t have happened so quickly if not for repeated use of the Doidy Cup.

It’s the ideal companion to other sippy cups, and the slanted sides make it much easier for babies to learn the art of sipping from an open cup right from the get-go. A game-changer as far as I’m concerned.

About the author

Laura Westerman is an editor, writer and Deputy Head of Editorial Content at Mumsnet. Mum to a one-year-old, she is fully invested in discovering the best and most affordable baby products on the market, and sharing her knowledge and findings with other parents.

With over seven years' experience as a full-time editor, five of which have been spent writing, commissioning and editing pushchair product reviews and round-ups, Laura has a keen eye for what parents love and likes nothing more than putting together honest reviews to make parents' lives that little bit easier.

In addition to her work as a writer and editor, she has also appeared in a number of baby product videos for Mumsnet's YouTube channel.