Page 12 | Obscene costumed volunteers handing out summer reading at Redbridge library

(525 Posts)
WombOfOnesOwn Sun 11-Jul-21 19:02:28

A library had a man in a rainbow monkey costume, with a dildo penis and a fake exposed butt, handing out summer reading books.

Look at this obscene sex clown mocking and terrorising local Muslim women:

twitter.com/HasAhmed_/status/1413931013340807172/photo/2

The library is, of course, apologizing about it now:

twitter.com/RedbridgeLibs/status/1413975910433366020

But during the event, they thought it was pretty funny:

twitter.com/turtillachip/status/1414255270038016009

What is happening? Why should parents going to the library's summer reading program worry that THIS is what they'll see? The website for this troupe of "performers" clearly shows this monkey performer with his fake penises inch from children's faces. There has been no vetting. No safeguarding.

And there'll just be an apology, another "isolated incident." Of course, the local Muslim women and girls know exactly what this library thinks of them now, and what may happen to them if they choose to even walk nearby. Do we think they're going to want to go in?

OP’s posts: |
bellinisurge Mon 12-Jul-21 14:00:00

In my job I came across a convicted paedophile whose approach was to groom adults to grant him access to children by doing a kind of nursery rhyme/fairy tale pastiche. He was creating something "fun and quirky ". He even had different versions for different age groups.
Scumbag.

MellieBellie Mon 12-Jul-21 14:06:40

I don't believe that the group understands the concerns that have been raised. They liked a tweet blaming the outrage on 'Twitter transphobes'.

TurquoiseBaubles Mon 12-Jul-21 14:07:49

Someone must be very busy deleting stuff all over the web today shock

Presumably tomorrow we'll be back to "it never happened"

EishetChayil Mon 12-Jul-21 14:17:45

bellinisurge

In my job I came across a convicted paedophile whose approach was to groom adults to grant him access to children by doing a kind of nursery rhyme/fairy tale pastiche. He was creating something "fun and quirky ". He even had different versions for different age groups.
Scumbag.

This current blasting apart of safeguarding is an absolute dream for paedophiles. The fact that it has piggybacked on the LGB movement is a tragedy.

PronounssheRa Mon 12-Jul-21 14:38:09

Someone must be very busy deleting stuff all over the web today

Mandinga arts website has been taken down, presumably for a clean up. I agree with others, they can't see what they have done wrong.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 12-Jul-21 14:41:59

MellieBellie

I don't believe that the group understands the concerns that have been raised. They liked a tweet blaming the outrage on 'Twitter transphobes'.

They also liked

"It's ok for a child to go to the zoo and see many types of primates. Some have brightly coloured faces and hairless behinds. Some have large testicles and penises.

But, an entertainer in a costume with those same features, somehow poses a threat to children, so must be banned?"

Obviously, as many here surmised, their apology meant nothing.

Advertisement

MistressOfEvilMaleficent Mon 12-Jul-21 14:50:26

MellieBellie

MellieBellie ah yes because parents being concerned about grown men waving phallic objects in children's faces make us transphobes. They also add 2+2 and get 14....

What world are we living in, where waving phallic objects in children's faces is normal 🤦🏻‍♀️

I mean we've all been to the zoo and the monkey has got his bits out and your son giggles, but we just go yes well it's an animal don't worry, we don't then encourage said wild animal to come and wave it in the child's face. It's more of a move along nothing I see here, same when they are fornicating in their paddock, we don't stand and watch and say to the child "stand here and watch this now" we just go ah yeas lovely, want a milkshake...moving swiftly on.

PronounssheRa Mon 12-Jul-21 14:55:15

MellieBellie

They have liked a few tweets blaming 'transphobes'. At this point my inclination to believe they are just a performing arts group who got something wrong has disappeared. They are knee deep in this stuff.

WomaninBoots Mon 12-Jul-21 14:58:14

Dear gods are they actually using the "animals in the zoo" reasoning to justify this? How thick are these people? It's not like the kids can't tell that the multicoloured monkey is actually a human...

Sparrowsong Mon 12-Jul-21 14:59:06

The only librarian I ever knew socially was prosecuted for consuming indecent images of children. He moved away and I just sincerely hope he doesn’t do that job any more.

WomaninBoots Mon 12-Jul-21 14:59:36

Is it transphobic to want to protect children from exposure to sexual behaviour now? Do they even know what they are implying when the blame "transphobes"?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 12-Jul-21 15:09:39

WomaninBoots

Is it transphobic to want to protect children from exposure to sexual behaviour now? Do they even know what they are implying when the blame "transphobes"?

Yes it is.

Women objecting to men wanting to display their penis /fetish in public are bigots or transphobes or TERFS or prudes. Anything to make the woman be quiet.

PRabbit Mon 12-Jul-21 15:10:07

It's ok for a child to go to the zoo and see many types of primates
I let DC wash our dog in the bath but I’d be very concerned about them soaping up a naked adult. How can they not see that humans and animals aren’t the same? There needs to be a full police investigation now because this group’s behaviour is very sinister and they can’t be permitted to have any further contact with children.

KD99 Mon 12-Jul-21 15:14:04

Can't understand how anyone could possibly think this is ok. Just gobsmacked.

Tesla73 Mon 12-Jul-21 15:15:27

I wonder if any digging was done into shadowy figures behind this insidious movement against women and children how many have links to PIE?

It goes along way to explaining why Labour feel this is more important than actually getting the British public voting for them.

With Labour losing members and supporters on a daily basis its very strange to me why they feel this hill is worth dying on

PronounssheRa Mon 12-Jul-21 15:28:16

It's ok for a child to go to the zoo and see many types of primates

What kind of zoo they have in mind hmm. Here is a male orangutan, no swinging dick in sight.

Let's be honest they are just making excuses for dodgy behaviour.

Cismyfatarse Mon 12-Jul-21 15:33:42

Aren't there also potentially racist undertones with monkey costumes, especially with big penises? I would certainly be uncomfortable booking a "monkey" act for a teenaged audience as many might find it pretty offensive, even without the dildo?

PurgatoryOfPotholes Mon 12-Jul-21 15:40:30

They're not any kind of actual primate though. They are some of our fellow human beings, who have attached plastic phalluses to their outfits.

If the crowd at Mandinga Arts don't want to be held to human social norms any more, then they had better go and live as primates in the Amazon jungle, minus smartphones, twitter, central heating or air conditioning, or the NHS.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 12-Jul-21 15:41:53

PronounssheRa

*It's ok for a child to go to the zoo and see many types of primates*

What kind of zoo they have in mind hmm. Here is a male orangutan, no swinging dick in sight.

Let's be honest they are just making excuses for dodgy behaviour.

And of course there's a fairly substantial difference between accidentally seeing monkey sex at the zoo, and taking your child dogging...

EmbarrassingAdmissions Mon 12-Jul-21 15:53:51

bellinisurge

Scumbag.

What's the truism about the social skills of some adults who crave access to vulnerable groups? They have a particular agenda or MO in which they first pave their way by getting themselves accepted by the adults who should be protecting those vulnerable people and charming them or being accepted so much that there are no safeguarding barriers in their path to their actual target/s.

FlyPassed Mon 12-Jul-21 16:01:43

If not wanting naked penises in the women's spa, and not wanting "children's" entertainers to wave dildos in children's faces makes me any kind of phobic, I'm going to wear that label with pride.

As for grooming, everyone needs to watch Abducted in Plain Sight on Netflix.

TheBeardedVulture Mon 12-Jul-21 16:16:42

What I don’t understand is why did the monkey have to have a bare arse, nipples and a cock? Absent of those features it wouldn’t have raised complaints. The dick is particularly egregious as it looks like they’ve just hung a sex toy off the costume, it’s not an integral part.

I know my DCs would have found this thing terrifying.

mollythemeerkat Mon 12-Jul-21 16:23:57

I`ve yet to see the day when zoo animals leave their enclosures to start grooming children in preparation for paedophilic behaviour but I suppose we are going to hear a lot of this kind of nonsense.

PronounssheRa Mon 12-Jul-21 16:32:56

And of course there's a fairly substantial difference between accidentally seeing monkey sex at the zoo, and taking your child dogging

I mean, it really shouldn't need to be said, yet here we are.

user1745 Mon 12-Jul-21 16:39:56

Even quite young children know that there's a difference between acceptable animal behaviour and acceptable human behaviour. They can understand that you might see animals doing certain things which are inappropriate for an adult to do in public in front of them. Of course if you blur those moral boundaries, they aren't necessarily going to know it's wrong when a man exposes himself in front of them and tells them not to tell anyone. If a man in a fun costume at the library does it, it must be ok? This is a safeguarding nightmare.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in