Talk

Advanced search

Lent Talk to be given by Rachel Mann on Radio 4 on Trans Identity

(86 Posts)
kesstrel Wed 26-Feb-20 10:54:01

Rachel Mann was one of the witnesses on the recent Moral Maze programme. Here is the Radio Times blurb for the upcoming talk:

"Anglican priest Rachel Mann reflects on the events leading up to Jesus' crucifixion and on her journey of identity as a trans woman."

Does anyone else find that juxtaposition a little....I can't quite find the appropriate word... shock

OP’s posts: |
Languishingfemale Wed 26-Feb-20 10:57:51

It's narcissism writ large. All about meeeeeeee.........

R0wantrees Wed 26-Feb-20 10:59:07

The transcript of the recent Moral Maze featuring the Revd Mann is telling:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3827771-Moral-Maze-Radio-4-8pm-19-Feb-Transcript

SisterWendyBuckett Wed 26-Feb-20 10:59:15

To say I am sick of this is an understatement.

andyoldlabour Wed 26-Feb-20 11:00:35

As an atheist, I find those words totally insulting, as if you can compare choosing a path in life where you demand others accepting you without question, to one where someone is constantly vilified, tortured by the authorities and then crucified.

Ibloodylovewomen Wed 26-Feb-20 11:11:38

confused just wow. The narcissism knows no bounds.

R0wantrees Wed 26-Feb-20 11:13:44

Apparently the programmers of Radio 4 'know no bounds'

vaginafetishist Wed 26-Feb-20 11:20:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AudacityOfHope Wed 26-Feb-20 11:21:15

Trying to think of the last time a day went by when this crap wasn't shoved down our throats.

Nope. 🤷🏻‍♀️

littlbrowndog Wed 26-Feb-20 11:26:32

Me neither 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

AnotherNightWatering Wed 26-Feb-20 11:27:37

Trying to think of the last time a day went by when this crap wasn't shoved down our throats.

I know! Your comment really resonates with me. I read this from the bbc Long Reads section earlier in the week, "I hated my homophobic stepdad, then he came out" and suddenly it morphed into a trans story, with similar narcissism.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-51566445

No empathy for the wife at all - it's written by the son.

littlbrowndog Wed 26-Feb-20 11:27:47

Why the fuck do we need to hear about the revd journey

Just why

AnotherNightWatering Wed 26-Feb-20 11:28:55

Here's the link for the Lent talk...

www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2020/09/lent-talks

Mockersisrightasusual Wed 26-Feb-20 11:30:54

Didn't Jesus go around with long hair in a big frock?

Just sayin

littlbrowndog Wed 26-Feb-20 11:31:18

Identity. Just why. How privileged is this stuff.

Try talking Rev Mann about stuff that affects the not so privileged people

Try that rev Mann

littlbrowndog Wed 26-Feb-20 11:32:03

He was a hippy mockers. It was cool 😎

DodoPatrol Wed 26-Feb-20 11:33:29

'Jesus' crucifixion and on her journey of identity as a trans woman'

I genuinely misread that and thought I'd missed some biblical interpretation!

ValancyRedfern Wed 26-Feb-20 11:46:26

I'm not religious but I find that really offensive. Jesus was tortured and killed FFS.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 26-Feb-20 11:50:18

Well... I suppose you could say that Jesus's 'identity' changed during his lifetime and thereafter - but if you're interested in that sort of think you'd be better listening to a serious biblical historian such as Bart Ehrman. ('How Jesus became God')

Or alternatively ... a bit of googling easily finds gems such as this:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/suzanne-dewitt-hall/jesus-the-first-transgendbb_10006134.html

UpfieldHatesWomen Wed 26-Feb-20 11:58:25

I'm not a Christan, but grew up as one and can appreciate the story of Christ on a symbolic level. That a religious figure would push their agenda for the rolling back of women's rights is, I suppose, nothing new within the church. But to use the story of the crucifixion to focus on themselves - regardless that it's 'gender identity' we're talking about here - surely people are going to start waking up to see through this for the narcissistic crap that it is. They're literally comparing themself to Jesus!

ZuttZeVootEeeVro Wed 26-Feb-20 12:27:18

Does anyone else find that juxtaposition a little....I can't quite find the appropriate word... shock

Self absorbed, narcissistic, egotistical, inappropriate, showing a lack of respect for other peoples religion, boring...?

LizzieSiddal Wed 26-Feb-20 13:18:45

I think it’s a great idea.

Sunlight is what we need.

Languishingfemale Wed 26-Feb-20 13:21:12

Yup LizzieSiddal . And we sure are getting lots of sunlight - mainly from people with limited insight and awareness.

LynnSchmob Wed 26-Feb-20 13:33:28

Sick to the back teeth about hearing trans issues. Why’s the BBC so enthralled with it all?

lionheart Wed 26-Feb-20 13:36:38

Irreverent?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in