Talk

Advanced search

Woman's Place UK meeting threatened with "device"

(573 Posts)
hungryhippie Fri 15-Jun-18 15:32:23

twitter.com/Hastings_police/status/1007627071122759681

What the actual f*ck?

MillyTheKid Fri 15-Jun-18 15:37:31

Looks like some weird Twitter troll with about 10 followers who likes stirring things up generally.

JuzzaL Fri 15-Jun-18 15:37:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 15-Jun-18 15:41:13

I hope he is just a troll - he also threatened @rachelherriotts

It's pretty alarming though

Writersblock2 Fri 15-Jun-18 15:41:48

Absolutely revolting. I do hope the police is take this seriously and do something about it - not just check out the building. Threats of violence like this need to be dealt with.

To the women attending - please don’t let this put you off. Men like this want you to be silenced.

Snappity Fri 15-Jun-18 15:47:12

Utterly disgusting.

Snappity Fri 15-Jun-18 15:47:46

The police need to catch him. Totally awful.

Southfields Fri 15-Jun-18 15:48:06

Trans woman Natasha Scott is trying to get the meeting cancelled by pressurising the police. Maybe just for once they didn't buckle down instantly and give them whatever they demand.

Writersblock2 Fri 15-Jun-18 15:49:52

It beggars belief doesn’t it? Why are they so terrified of women meeting? Would it be because they know we are telling the truth? You don’t see them getting this worked up about anything else.

JuzzaL Fri 15-Jun-18 15:51:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Southfields Fri 15-Jun-18 16:00:39

Juzzal

They are inadvertently waking up so many new women to feminism. They are laying bare the misogyny embedded in our culture.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 15-Jun-18 16:03:16

This is getting dangerously close to being terrorism.

AssassinatedBeauty Fri 15-Jun-18 16:06:52

The absolute front to publicly state that they intend to use their positions of authority to stop women from going about their legal business. It beggars belief, but it seems totally normal to people who don't want women to speak.

Kettlepotblackagain Fri 15-Jun-18 16:08:31

I say invite them in!

heresyandwitchcraft Fri 15-Jun-18 16:08:37

Coercive control

R0wantrees Fri 15-Jun-18 16:08:53

David Aaronovitch on free speech in yesterday's Times:
"But this ejection has turned nasty. An organisation pledged to argue against the changes, Women’s Place UK, and some of its leading lights, have been subject to what might be called private persecution. Its meetings are abusively picketed, organisations that let venues for its events are targeted, its speakers are “no platformed” at universities, and its leading lights are abused and threatened."
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3277408-David-Aaronovitch-comment-in-Times

SpartacusVonWaitrose Fri 15-Jun-18 16:09:54

I preferred it when their threatening devices were merely linguistic.

R0wantrees Fri 15-Jun-18 16:16:19

Statement by one of the founders of Trans Oxford after protests at WPUK meeting there:

(extracts)
"Bullying, although surfacing occasionally, was never welcome, especially, in the LGBT circles having too many victims of it knowing only too well how much it hurts. But last night the tables have turned - and the bullied became the bullies

I founded TransOxford in 2015 to promote the greater unity and more extensive communications between the separate transgender groups some of which had no idea of the others existing in the same city.

I think @Womans_Place_UK do invite everyone as long as they have something to contribute to the debate. I know a number of transsexuals who attended and spoke at their events (and were immediately branded as apostates by the transcommunity).

‘No debate’ is the only option? What are you going to do with so many women and transsexuals who support Womans place_UK ? Eliminate them? Charge them with hatecrime after your lobbyists push through another piece of legislation?..." continues

full statement:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3234661-Condemnation-of-the-shameful-campaign-of-bullying-intimidation-against-WPUK-meeting-by-founder-of-TransOxford

R0wantrees Fri 15-Jun-18 16:24:10

Michael Briggs (Oxford Sociology Professor)'
'Free speech at Oxford:
Do women have the right to meet to discuss legislation?'

(extracts)
"Perversely, the violence and intimidation inflicted by transgender activists is then used to portray themselves as victims. Woman’s Place cannot announce their meetings in advance because the venue will be harassed, and so transgender activists portray it as a secretive organization"

"Campaigns of harassment and intimidation have become staple tools of transgender activism in the last fifteen years"

Feminists have never attempted to harass or intimidate transgender activists who wish to change the law. To my knowledge, it has never been the case that people who want to uphold the legal status quo and to oppose proposed legislation have been delegitimized as a hate group. In 1908, the Woman’s Social and Political Union could advertise meetings in advance and hold them without security measures. But Woman’s Place UK cannot in 2018...

Transgender activism poses a grave threat to freedom of speech."

full article:
users.ox.ac.uk/~sfos0060/FreeSpeechOxford.pdf

HotRocker Fri 15-Jun-18 16:24:59

I wouldn’t worry too much. I don’t know what damage he thinks he can do with a decide.

Baroquehavoc Fri 15-Jun-18 16:28:32

They are more afraid of women talking, than they are of the men murdering, raping and assaulting them, astonishing.

And they couldn't saying it any clearer. It's women talking that is the problem for them.

NamechangeLikePrince Fri 15-Jun-18 16:30:54

Didn't the delightful J4nice make some comments about the Hastings meeting and knowing where it was going to be located because they had a friend who worked there? Given it's a police matter now perhaps any information Mumsnet has ought to be passed onto the police.

(I'm looking for the Hastings thread but can't seem to find it at the moment)

Kettlepotblackagain Fri 15-Jun-18 16:31:50

*They are more afraid of women talking, than they are of the men murdering, raping and assaulting them, astonishing.

And they couldn't saying it any clearer. It's women talking that is the problem for them*

Abso-fucking- lutely

Kettlepotblackagain Fri 15-Jun-18 16:33:37

I think I may report that Natasha Scott. It’s abuse of a position to try to get this banned.

ImagineBeing Fri 15-Jun-18 16:36:53

They are more afraid of women talking, than they are of the men murdering, raping and assaulting them, astonishing.

And they couldn't saying it any clearer. It's women talking that is the problem for them

When will this be accepted as a terrorism against women?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: