Advanced search

House of Commons event - anyone else going?

(357 Posts)
grandplans Tue 13-Mar-18 22:15:10

If so, see you there!

Do you think it'll be mobbed by TRAs as the venue's been announced in advance or not because of the security at the HOC?

SexMatters Tue 13-Mar-18 22:23:43

There is stringent security, long corridors, loads of meetings and meeting rooms and loads of people wandering about at any one time so people going to the meeting will be hard to identify, locate or target.

If protesters do turn up, they'll be moved out of the way for security reasons to a safer area - maybe on the green in the middle of the square I imagine. So I don't think there is any cause to worry.

Datun Tue 13-Mar-18 22:23:47

I'm going. And I don't think there will be any trouble. The security is watertight.

womanhuman Tue 13-Mar-18 22:26:14

You mean they won’t stand outside shouting ‘burn it down’?

It’s almost like they know that’s not okay.

AnotherQuoll Tue 13-Mar-18 22:26:22

They (transactivists) might be tempted by the thought that a protest at HOC would give them huge publicity. Wouldn't be too sure that'd end up working in their favour but in their echo chamber full of narcissists, they probably don't realise.

Datun Tue 13-Mar-18 22:30:37

Yes, I'm not sure they won't protest. I just don't think there will be actual trouble. Too many security staff around.

And cameras. The place must be absolutely crawling with CCTV.

AnotherQuoll Tue 13-Mar-18 22:30:51

Oh and there's was some tweet going around from TRAs giving contact details for people to call email and generally pester to get the meeting stopped.

AnotherTerfyNameChange Tue 13-Mar-18 22:43:55

I talked to VA on phone this morning, she was saying we need to be totally charming so as not to give any grounds for trouble. As you say, loads of CCTV so if anything kicks off there will be evidence. I suspect the 'second' meeting will be slightly less demure...

My friend still thinks feminists burn their bras and wondered where we'd find to do that in the HoC grin(she had no trouble imagining it when She thought I was going to Millwall!!!)

SweetGrapes Tue 13-Mar-18 22:51:15

I am going. No bra burning plans though!

Fekko Tue 13-Mar-18 22:52:58

Ooooh when is it? I'm in that neck of the woods most days.

grandplans Tue 13-Mar-18 23:14:33

Thanks everyone, that's all very reassuring!

grandplans Tue 13-Mar-18 23:17:04

Fekko it's tomorrow. Totally over capacity though as it's had to move there from a larger venue due to harassment by TRAs.

There's a second event locally too though - I don't know anything about that one though.

grandplans Tue 13-Mar-18 23:18:52

We need some kind of MN nod and a wink to identify each other at the meeting! grin

HairyBallTheorem Tue 13-Mar-18 23:22:41

They won't be demonstrating outside either - well, at least not for long. You need a permit for demonstrations within a certain radius of parliament. Mark Thomas did a very funny programme on radio 4 about it a number of years back:

BeUpStanding Tue 13-Mar-18 23:24:43

Am gutted I can't make it tomorrow, but know I'll be brilliantly represented by the women who will be there. Report back and don't spare any details!

PlectrumElectrum Tue 13-Mar-18 23:27:49

Please post & tweet, attendees, we'll all be dead keen to know what's happening & what's said etc. I'd love to be there.

terfsRus Tue 13-Mar-18 23:33:17

What's the hashtag for the meeting tomorrow? So we can follow on Twitter!wink

AnotherTerfyNameChange Tue 13-Mar-18 23:38:28

Grandplans I'm the one with the crutch and a badge like this :

grandplans Wed 14-Mar-18 00:36:22

Brilliant, I'll look out for you thanks smile

I don't have a cool gender critical badge - probably some old CND ones knocking about somewhere!

I'll see what I can find in the morning.

grandplans Wed 14-Mar-18 00:37:03

terfsRus good question - I haven't seen one yet.

SophoclesTheFox Wed 14-Mar-18 06:31:12

I will be there, coming straight from work so will hiding the sekrit hateful TERFness under a disguise of Hobbs-wearing city wonk. They'll never guess someone who looks like me is there because am closet radfem/dreadful bigot grin

See you all there!

Fekko Wed 14-Mar-18 07:07:55

Poo - the one day I'm elsewhere! Good luck.

Datun Wed 14-Mar-18 07:16:59

You're not allowed to take placards, banners, or wear T-shirts with any kind of slogan on them.

Just sayin'.

Fekko Wed 14-Mar-18 07:20:47

But they can rock up with balaclavas? That should be interesting considering the heightened activity around there these days (anti Muslim poison pen letters).

Cwenthryth Wed 14-Mar-18 07:27:49

I’m going tonight. I’ll probably break out my ‘feminist’ necklace and ‘team vagina’/‘womb warrior’ badges (they are in support of the Eve Appeal, the charity for gynaecological cancers).

I’m apprehensive, but also feel a certain - I don’t know what - personal pride in going to this and supporting women’s voices being heard in the seat of democracy in our country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now