Talk

Advanced search

Labour Against Transphobia Facebook group

(1000 Posts)
NotTerfNorCis Fri 19-Jan-18 17:40:19

Lily Madigan and Aisling Musson are asking for 'screenshots and evidence of transphobic behaviour' so they can make Labour 'a truly safe space for all members regardless of their gender identity or lack thereof.' In other words, doxxing people so they can be thrown out of the party for gender-critical views.

The group write-up is:

A group formed to oppose the rising tide of Transphobia in the UK Labour Party and to seek to make the Party a truly safe space for all members regardless of their gender identity or lack thereof.

PLEASE READ THE PINNED POST

If you have screenshots and evidence of transphobic behaviour please put them in the google drive folder rather than offloading them straight into the group as it may otherwise be overwhelming and trans members should have the option to not have to look at upsetting comments.

Do not add anyone unless you are sure that they:
1. Are a member of the Labour Party
2. Believe the basis of gender is self-definition
3. Think that transphobia is grounds for expulsion from the party
4. Respect the autonomy of trans people to direct the fight against transphobia (I.e will not take decisions against the will of trans people)

If you are a trans and/or non binary person and you would like to be added to the secret group (trans/nb people only) please message lily madigan or aisling musson and we will add you.

Rules:

- No advocacy for violence, threats of violence of other illegal acts (quite apart from the morality of it, please do not get this group shut down)
- This is a not a discourse group. If you do not agree that transphobia is bad, that the Labour party has it and that we should fight it, this is not a group for you.
- Be respectful. As far as possible, please always be friendly, respectful and comradely and treat others as you would wish to be treated.
-No members of other parties.
- TERF is not a slur.

ThatWasNotLove Fri 19-Jan-18 17:59:46

"Do not add anyone unless you are sure that they:..
2. Believe the basis of gender is self-definition"

My mind can't cope with this shit.

It's like arguing with Donald Trump.

Is this an official LP page? Does the LP agree with this action taken by one of its representatives - as LM now is. Well, sort of.

If the LP want to be taken seriously in the future it needs to get involved with younger members and steer them. Perhaps mentors? I'm hoping that people get wise to this soon, but it will take a few years and in the meantime what damage will already be done?

Geronimoleapinglizards Fri 19-Jan-18 18:02:43

Is there any information about how many members they have?

NotTerfNorCis Fri 19-Jan-18 18:05:33

Pretty sure it's not official. It sounds so damn childish to me. Especially that last bit about 'TERF is not a slur'.

This strikes me as student politics. The kind of thing that doesn't normally get beyond university, but now, suddenly, it has an impact on everyone.

NotTerfNorCis Fri 19-Jan-18 18:05:59

They have 237 members: www.facebook.com/groups/1573109619432722/

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 19-Jan-18 18:06:32

TERF is not a slur? hmm

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 19-Jan-18 18:16:40

How are they going to manage to not take decisions against the will of trans people when trans people are individuals and don't all have a single will about everything?
They haven't thought it through!

NotTerfNorCis Fri 19-Jan-18 18:23:36

I guess it means a 'cis' person isn't ever allowed to contradict a trans person! Creating a hierarchy right there.

NannyOggsKnickers Fri 19-Jan-18 18:28:44

That is awful.

Why don’t some gender critical Labour Women set up a secret group to record all the misogynistic and homophobic language used by trans activist Labour members.

Payfrozen Fri 19-Jan-18 19:52:23

4. Respect the autonomy of trans people to direct the fight against transphobia (I.e will not take decisions against the will of trans people)

Can we add

4b. Respect the right of women to direct the fight against misogyny (i.e. Will not take decisions against the will of women)

SophoclesTheFox Fri 19-Jan-18 19:57:23

Trans women may organise without women. This is because they need safe spaces away from women, who don't understand the vile transphobia they are subject to.

Women may not organise without trans women. This is because trans women are women, and require the exact same spaces as women, and any attempt to exclude them is vile transphobia.

Aye. We're all girls together, until we're not. Piece of nonsense, as my dear old mum would say.

Icantreachthepretzels Fri 19-Jan-18 20:05:54

So if a group of people self identify their way into the group - and no one in the group can do anything about it because they all believe that the basis of gender is self definition...will they then realise what utter bullshit it is their spouting - and just how easy self definition laws are to manipulate ... and therefore how very dangerous they are?

Also - can I self identify as a member of the labour party - even if I haven't paid anything and don't have a membership card? That should be child's play compared to identifying as an xx human being whilst being a xy human being and not even going to the trouble of getting a GRC to at least make yourself look dedicated.

MothQuandary Fri 19-Jan-18 20:15:59

Four of my facebook friends have signed the “transwomen are women, kick the TERFs out of the Labour Party” petition. I commented, quite calmly and respectfully, on their posts explaining why I disagreed. I’ve had absolutely no response from any of them.
Now I’ve seen that one of them, a sensible (I thought) trade unionist lesbian who I really like(d), has joined this anti-TERF facebook group. I feel absolutely sick and alone. I’m waiting for the email from Labour HQ.
In my real life, I know only one other woman in the Labour Party who is publicly gender critical. Everyone else just seems to be going along with this completely unthinkingly. I am honestly sick sick sick about this whole Labour Party thing. I have been a member for 15 years. I’ve stood as a councillor (and lost!) for the party. I’ve door knocked and leafletted and done everything and now I’m going to get kicked out for telling the truth. I am so miserable.

Chincywincy Fri 19-Jan-18 20:25:46

I just joined the Labour party and the CLP, i am new to all this but i was inspired to join after watching Anne Ruzylos video if that makes sense. I have emailed the CLP with my details and have paid the fee, what happens next? Do i have a local CLP branch?

horseyhorsey17 Fri 19-Jan-18 20:26:34

Lily Madigan really is doing a stirling job as women's officer. Working to kick women out of the Labour Party, thus making it less likely that they'll get elected, is a stroke of genius.

SophoclesTheFox Fri 19-Jan-18 20:34:08

Oh, moth, that's such a sad post sad. you're not alone, lovely - we might live in your computer, but we're proper real people, too. And we are with you.

NannyOggsKnickers Fri 19-Jan-18 20:45:54

I think a lot of people feel like they should be ‘right on’ about this and haven’t really examined it in any kind of detail.

I know I didn’t to begin with. But once you dig even a little the homophobia and misogyny become so obvious.

We need to go Edward R Murrow on this crap and just keep showing the world the TAs in their own words. That should be enough peak trans most people.

The trans ideology really is an ideology of hate.

Deadlylampshade Fri 19-Jan-18 20:48:59

moth I know exactly how you feel but I’m real and I know that there’s lots of us that are just not speaking out.

terryleather Fri 19-Jan-18 20:57:27

Yes moth don't despair, there are so many women who feel like you do about all this.

MN has really helped me not to feel alone but going to the Glasgow talk about the proposed changes to the GRA and talking irl to so many likeminded women really lifted the spirits in a way I hadn't expected.

You are absolutely not alone.

StoneColdDiva Fri 19-Jan-18 20:58:34

I am the only one who cannot make Head not tail of their original statement?

catgirl1976 Fri 19-Jan-18 20:58:38

If you click on the link to the group and then click the more button you can report the group to facebook

StoneColdDiva Fri 19-Jan-18 20:59:32

Adding people to groups on the basis of being sure what hey think is so spookily George Orwell.

MothQuandary Fri 19-Jan-18 21:04:18

Thank you, lovely people. You have made me a bit teary, in a good way. I wish I could go down the pub with you all.

I was going to do [beer] at the end of that and then realised there is no beer symbol; only gin or wine. Sort out the drink-related sexism, MN!

nauticant Fri 19-Jan-18 21:05:14

What does it say about the ethos of a group that has to specifically make this a rule:

- No advocacy for violence, threats of violence of other illegal acts (quite apart from the morality of it, please do not get this group shut down)

(This isn't my observation, it was made by someone else on MN and it really stuck in my mind.)

busyboysmum Fri 19-Jan-18 21:19:32

Moth I do hope you are not misgendering alcohol. You do realise you could be asked to leave the pub for that. That wine may well identify as a male drink. Heck, it may well not identify as wine but as need instead. You need to be very careful here.....

This thread is not accepting new messages.